Introduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EL CAPeeeTAN

"like Capitan"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I used to post / read frequently in the Pre-allo board back when I was applying to medical schools. It has been a long time since I have visited these boards. I thought I would introduce myself and share my story to see if anyone could relate or get some encouragement from anoher nontraditional student.

I am 33 years old (almost 34). I graduated with a BS in psychology many years ago. When I was in college I did not take any premed courses. After college I took a job with Pfizer Pharmaceuticles as a sales rep. I did that for a while and I realized that many doctors were struggling because lack of business skills / business experience. So I started a medical business consulting business and had several clients. After a year of this and more clients than I could handle. I partnered with a couple of my clients and started a multispecialty clinic. I ran the business aspects of the business and over 5 years we grew the clinic to 4 locations and 25 doctors (many different specialties) and about 100 employees.

At about 3 years into the clinic I started to realize that I had a growing passion for the medical side of things and did not enjoy the business side as much. I started scrubbing into many surgeries and getting as involved as I could without a medical education. I was mostly shadowing. I started to wonder if there was anyway I could make the jump and go back to school, I thought I was too old at the ripe age of 29:laugh: to begin the journey. I had a great mentor who encouraged me to go for it.

Originally I thought that I would take my premeds and medical school at a carribean school. I applied and was accepted to MUA's premed / medical school. When my mentor / friend heard of my plan, he put his foot down and told me that I needed to keep working and take my premeds locally and take the MCAT and apply to US medical schools. So at 29 I started taking premeds at a community college part time and continued to work at my business.

I took the MCAT after only completing Physics 1, Chem 1 and Bio 1. I rushed it thinking I was too old and I needed to get my new career going. It was not the smartest move, but I got through it. I sold my partnership in the clinic and applied to tons of MD programs while I was finishing my premeds. I did not get any interviews so in a last ditch effort I applied to DO schools but very late in the cycle. I applied to 4 DO schools and got 3 interviews. I was waitlisted at all of the programs I interviewed at.

As a back up I had appled to Chicago Medical School's (Rosalind Fanklin) AP program. I was accepted to the AP program and was very happy. As it turned out it was the last year of the AP program. So I started the program last fall and put my whole effort into it and it paid off. I was accepted to Chicago Medical School with advanced standing for the 2006/2007 school year.

So now I am done with midterms and 3 weeks from finals for the first term and I am loving it, I hoestly have never been happier and I understand what I am getting into, as I lived it for several years on the business side. I saw all the law suits and lack of reimbursement, hospital politics, long hours etc.

I am 33 and a father of 2 daughters, 7 and 4 years old. My wife and daughters are amazingly supportive and there is no way I could do this without their help / encouragement.

Sorry to be so longwinded but I needed a break from studying and I figured that if my story could encourage anyone in similiar situations it was worth posting. Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

The AP program at Chigcago Medical School was a masters program for applied physiology where you basically took about 60% of the first year medical school classes with the medical students and some additional masters classes. If you were able to maintain a certain GPA you were allowed to continue on to the medical school. It was kind of like a 5 year medical school program. Unfortunately they replaced it with similiar program but it does not have the guarantee that the AP program had. We had 105 students in my program and 65 made it. If you look in the postbac forum you will find other similiar programs called SMPs (special masters programs). Georgetown has one and a few other schools do too.