Introductions - 27 y/o living abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doccochran

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I thought an introduction might be in order. I'm preparing to make a big life change, during and after which StudentDoctor will play some role. So, hello.

About Me:
I signed up for StudentDoctor before moving out of the US two years ago. At the time I was working for a Healthcare IT company consulting with doctors and hospital administration on meeting Meaningful Use. I relocated abroad with my girlfriend during her PhD program. We were planning on returning to my state upon her graduation - me for medical school, her to work. Her PhD is complete in six months, so I'm returning to complete my medical school applications!

About My Entrance to Medical School:
I hope to apply during the 2017 cycle. I've spoken with a pre-med counselor at my graduating university. She advised against a post-bacc as I've completed all pre-reqs apart from Biochemistry with a ~3.9 sGPA. I have two possible strong recommendations from my previous employer. Biochemistry and other science courses will be taken at my state school during the Spring semester. I will work on other recommendations and the MCAT during this time.

Why Medical School:
I've never felt the depth of emotion I felt while shadowing. The shared frustrations and successes, the weighty feel of responsibility knowing I have touched a life during the time of transition. I've only recently been able to identify WHY in terms I found adequate. One of my goals afterwards would be to utilize my IT and economics background to rework how IT is used in healthcare (at this point, I find it dehumanizes during a time when feeling like a person rather than a patient should be the goal)

So hello all!

Edit 12/22 - I lost my state residency, and am currently stateless. Beware of state residency laws, anyone who might be reading this.
 
Last edited:
It sounds like your pre-med advisor gave you good advice...there is not point of jeopardizing a 3.9 sGPA. At the moment, it seems like you should be devoting all of your energies to studying for the MCAT. Presumably, with a good score, you'll have quite a few doors open to you.

Best of luck.