Ion channel effects on neuron membrane potentials KA Passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betterfuture

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody do the "Ion channel effects on neuron membrane potentials" KA passage.

I could not follow through what the 2nd paragraph meant.

A scientist is studying neurons in vitro to determine what occurs at a newly discovered ion channel. When many of these channels are opened, the membrane potential changes from -60 mV to -50 mV. The resulting membrane potential after opening many of these channels with a decreased extracellular concentration of sodium ions is -60 mV, with a decreased extracellular concentration of chloride ions is -50 mV, and with a decreased extracellular concentration of calcium ions is -50 mV.
Maybe I was not able to follow through what was going in and what was already in. Can someone break it down?

Members don't see this ad.

There's some ion channels opening and ions are moving either in or out.

The sodium channel is opened with a decreased extracellular concentration of Na+ and the membrane potential goes to -60 mV (more negative). Sodium must be moving out of the cell.

The chloride channel is opened with a decreased extracellular concentration of Cl- and the membrane potential goes to -50 mV (less negative). Chloride must be moving out of the cell.

The calcium channel is opened with a decreased extracellular concentration of Ca2+ and the membrane potential goes to -50 mV (less negative). It looks like Ca2+ is staying in the cell.

Ok I am confused. Like always:confused:

What is the resting membrane potential? 60 mV? If so, when the ion channels open, the voltage does not change. Yet they mention the extracellular fluid has a decreased [C] of Na+1. Doesn't that imply that sodium has moved inside the cell since there is a decreased concentration of Na+1? Same questions go for the other two ions.

Members don't see this ad :)