IoNiZaTion EnErgy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone explain this to me please:

one book says that K+ has higher ionization than Cli-, since K+ has a higher atomic number 19. In another book when comparing Na+, Ar, Kr, they said Na+ has a higher ionization energy since it is smaller. So im comfused, i thought the higher the atomic number the harder to ionize??

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone explain this to me please:

one book says that K+ has higher ionization than Cli-, since K+ has a higher atomic number 19. In another book when comparing Na+, Ar, Kr, they said Na+ has a higher ionization energy since it is smaller. So im comfused, i thought the higher the atomic number the harder to ionize??

When you are working on the same energy level (N) then you would look at the atomic number, however when there are 2 different energy levels (N=2 and N=3) then you would look at the energy levels. Whichever one is has a lower energy level would have the smaller nucleus radius and therefore the largest Ionization energy. Ionozation energy is indirectly related to Nucleus radius.