Why is the ionization energy of Be higher than Boron?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I understand the reason why Boron's ionization energy is low (it loses the 2p1 and becomes stable because of half full or full shells). However, Wouldn't Beryllium still be stable after losing an electron, as it will go from 1s2 2s2 to 1s2 2s1 (half full shell)? Chad treats half full and full shells as equivalent in importance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure why Chad treats fully filled subshells and halfway filled subshells as equally stable. I thought that fully-filled subshells are more stable than half-filled subshells.

Regardless, my reasoning is as follows:
Is it easier (less ionization energy) to withdraw an electron from a fully filled subshell (like a Be valence electron) or from a partially filled subshell (like the 2p1)? I would say 2p1/Boron. Thus, Boron has lower ionization energy.

However, IE then increases across the periods according to its trends.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty much what Incisor said. I just think of it as Be is already full 2s2, whereas B is 2s2 2p1 so Boron is more willing to give up it's outermost electron so it can have a full shell whereas Be would be losing its full shell so it's not as willing as Boron, giving Boron a lower IE.

Hi everyone! I understand the reason why Boron's ionization energy is low (it loses the 2p1 and becomes stable because of half full or full shells). However, Wouldn't Beryllium still be stable after losing an electron, as it will go from 1s2 2s2 to 1s2 2s1 (half full shell)? Chad treats half full and full shells as equivalent in importance.

In general, smaller atoms have higher ionization energies.The same factors that influence size also influence ionization energies.....namely the effective nuclear charge and the average distance the electron is from the nucleus.

Half filled s subshells are NOT stable.....they actually seek out an electron to attain stability. Just think.....Hydrogen will not exist as a stable specie as just H......but needs to become H2..... . Half filled p, d, and f subshells are reasonably stable.

Be has an Ionization energy of about 900kJ/mole...quite high indeed...since you are trying to remove an electron from a very stable 2s region. Boron has an ionization energy less....about 800 kJ/mole.......we are removing a single 2 p electron......and clearly not breaking into a " stable core ".

Hope this helps:)

Dr. Jim Romano

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I could help! Feel free to hit the like button on my post.. If you have more questions I will do my best to answer asap.

Dr. Romano
Just did! What does the like button do? Like benefits wise.