-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
iowa c/o 2015 applicants!
Started by ellehan
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi! I'm planning on doing both large and small animal. I originally thought I would do small animal and equine, but after working with a vet who specializes in cows (embryo flushings, etc) last summer I fell in love with the cows too😍Hello Everybody. I was wondering what everybody's interests are in the veterinary field (large animal clinical, small animal clinical, research, etc)?
I've raised miniature horses, black Angus cattle, and chickens since middle school , so I've always enjoyed working with farmers and farm animals. No pig experience yet, but I hear that's no problem in Iowa 😉
How about you iowaworker?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update:
Brenda is about to call #55. She said things have "slowed down a lot"
Hang in there guys, it's still way early in the game, it isn't quite May yet. One of the vets I work with graduated from iowa state in 2002 and she said that 4 or 5 people dropped out during the 1st week of classes (couldn't handle the work load). I honestly think you will hear good news way before then. I know i've read on here that a couple of other schools dont go down their waitlists until May, so I'm sure some people will change their minds. Stay strong 🙂, things will work out
[QUOTE=farmgirl12;10920652]Hi! I'm planning on doing both large and small animal. I originally thought I would do small animal and equine, but after working with a vet who specializes in cows (embryo flushings, etc) last summer I fell in love with the cows too😍
I've raised miniature horses, black Angus cattle, and chickens since middle school , so I've always enjoyed working with farmers and farm animals. No pig experience yet, but I hear that's no problem in Iowa 😉
How about you iowaworker?[/QUOTE]
I first became interested in veterinary medicine for the large animal clinical aspect; although I am still interested in doing such work, my main interest has turned to large animal research/research on transmittable diseases. The direction of farming into a more commercialized setting has slightly turned me from wanting to do clinical work, and also there is a great outlook in the research fields--especially large animal.
I've raised miniature horses, black Angus cattle, and chickens since middle school , so I've always enjoyed working with farmers and farm animals. No pig experience yet, but I hear that's no problem in Iowa 😉
How about you iowaworker?[/QUOTE]
I first became interested in veterinary medicine for the large animal clinical aspect; although I am still interested in doing such work, my main interest has turned to large animal research/research on transmittable diseases. The direction of farming into a more commercialized setting has slightly turned me from wanting to do clinical work, and also there is a great outlook in the research fields--especially large animal.
I am planning on focusing on small animal. I have worked in small animal practices for about 7 years, both corporate and private practice. Last summer I worked with birds (mainly pelicans) in the BP oil spill and right now I am completing my masters in small ruminant parasitology so I am not set on what I want to do just yet. I also have a little horse experience. I love everything I have done so I am definitely not set on anything just yet. I just hope to get in soon 🙂
Have you new guys/gals joined the FB group? we're also talking about interests and general intros on the page. Just in case you wanted to join in there. 🙂
Also, any updates on the waitlist? I'd LOVE to have as many fellow SDNers as possible!!!
Good luck with finals to all of you still in school 🙂
Also, any updates on the waitlist? I'd LOVE to have as many fellow SDNers as possible!!!
Good luck with finals to all of you still in school 🙂
I have not joined the group. I don't want to join unless I have been accepted in the class. Last I heard they are still a few calls ahead of my number so hopefully it won't be too long.Have you new guys/gals joined the FB group? we're also talking about interests and general intros on the page. Just in case you wanted to join in there. 🙂
Also, any updates on the waitlist? I'd LOVE to have as many fellow SDNers as possible!!!
Good luck with finals to all of you still in school 🙂
And thank you. I have finals this week and next.
The wait-list want from moving crazy fast to moving maybe 3 spots all last week. I am not going to call, but I have a feeling that they have finally "filled" the OOS spots. I don't think it will move again until people call to take back their offer.
I'm not keeping my hopes up anymore...
I'm not keeping my hopes up anymore...
I'm not keeping my hopes up anymore...
I'll keep my hopes up for you..

Last I heard last week, the number 3 spots before me was next. Here's to hoping we all get some good news soon 
Anyway, I feel like Brenda would've e-mailed us if the class was filled.

Anyway, I feel like Brenda would've e-mailed us if the class was filled.
Last I heard last week, the number 3 spots before me was next. Here's to hoping we all get some good news soon
Anyway, I feel like Brenda would've e-mailed us if the class was filled.
Is that something that is even done? Since technically people can drop-out or withdraw their offer up until late August I did not expect any official "we are full" email.
Maybe someone should call/email tomorrow?
*Not it.*
Is that something that is even done? Since technically people can drop-out or withdraw their offer up until late August I did not expect any official "we are full" email.
Maybe someone should call/email tomorrow?
*Not it.*
I was planning on e-mailing Wednesday.

Some schools do notify waitlisters to let them know if the class is full. MSU's website says that their class is officially set. So, I think you guys still have hope!! Good luck to all of you!Is that something that is even done? Since technically people can drop-out or withdraw their offer up until late August I did not expect any official "we are full" email.
Maybe someone should call/email tomorrow?
*Not it.*

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I must say I love lurking on this thread. You guys are so supportive of each other 😀 I hope to see some good results soon. Sometimes I wish I was IS for Iowa and it wasn't so far... I really did fall in love.
Best of luck to you guys. When you get there be sure to brag to me about how awesome it is. I would love to live vicariously through you.
Best of luck to you guys. When you get there be sure to brag to me about how awesome it is. I would love to live vicariously through you.
i e-mailed again today! they are at 56, and there are 2 offers out they are waiting on.
Last edited:
I must say I love lurking on this thread. You guys are so supportive of each other 😀 I hope to see some good results soon. Sometimes I wish I was IS for Iowa and it wasn't so far... I really did fall in love.
Best of luck to you guys. When you get there be sure to brag to me about how awesome it is. I would love to live vicariously through you.
Me too. I was in a good position waitlist and declined, but would have loved to go to Iowa, absolutely loved it during my interview. Good luck to everyone still waiting, there's still hope and luckily the admin is super helpful!

Did she say how many??








Make sure you let us know when you get the call!!!😀 I'm very hopeful for all of you😍 there's still plenty of timei e-mailed again today! they are at 56, and there are 2 offers out they are waiting on.
JUST GOT MY CALL! I can barely type!!!
I'm going to vet school. I told Brenda she made my week..since I have 5 finals this week. She said good luck 🙂
I'm going to vet school. I told Brenda she made my week..since I have 5 finals this week. She said good luck 🙂
CONGRATS!!! That's so exciting! Let me tell ya though, vet school acceptance + finals = lack of motivation! Haha
But 5? My goodness! That's just cruel! Good Luck!
But 5? My goodness! That's just cruel! Good Luck!
CONGRATS!!! That's so exciting! Let me tell ya though, vet school acceptance + finals = lack of motivation! Haha
But 5? My goodness! That's just cruel! Good Luck!
Haha, thanks! Well, I already took 1 saturday, so I only have 4 left!
But anatomy's the only one I'm worried about.

JUST GOT MY CALL! I can barely type!!!
I'm going to vet school. I told Brenda she made my week..since I have 5 finals this week. She said good luck 🙂
OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

😍
I knew it would happen!!!
JUST GOT MY CALL! I can barely type!!!
I'm going to vet school. I told Brenda she made my week..since I have 5 finals this week. She said good luck 🙂
Yay!!!!! So EXCITED for you

!!!CONGRATS!!! That's so exciting! Let me tell ya though, vet school acceptance + finals = lack of motivation! Haha
I second this, I have 4 finals this week and I have already completed my prereq's, and I'm really struggling to motivate myself....who wants to study physical chem now

Congrats again!!! and goodluck with finals

Awaring it's your turn!!!

Awaring it's your turn!!!![]()
We still have a good 15+ people on the list before me.
Let's all hope they get into their IS or have a sudden life calling to be a dermatologist. 😉

I just got called a little while ago so they are in the 60s now. I'm sure they will get to your call soon! 🙂We still have a good 15+ people on the list before me.
Let's all hope they get into their IS or have a sudden life calling to be a dermatologist. 😉
![]()
I just got called a little while ago so they are in the 60s now. I'm sure they will get to your call soon! 🙂
Did you accept? (I want to know if I should be congratulating you)
And you were #60, right?
yay yay yay yay yay congrats!!!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't forget to join the facebook group!!! Congrats to everyone so far!! and good luck to those still waiting =)
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_198157910213795&ap=1
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_198157910213795&ap=1
Congrats!!!!🙂I just got called a little while ago so they are in the 60s now. I'm sure they will get to your call soon! 🙂
Congratz to all of the new ISU vet students!!
I did accept (and yes I was 60). Thank you 🙂 and I joined the fb group a little while ago, thanks Mew87.
I'm waiting too but I had kind of given up hope. I'm number 79 so I'm not expecting a call. 🙁
I am not that far ahead of you and I am not giving up hope, so you aren't allowed to either. 😛
They went to #79 last year and it seems like this years list has been moving a lot quicker.
Does anyone know how long it took them last year to go down the list?
I saw somewhere that someone who was #79 on the OOS list was called the day before she graduated (so late May). Brenda said she will send out an e-mail when the class is "full" but the list may move a few spots after that when people take back offers/change their mind.
If you browse through the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there has been a lot of desperate conversation about the topic. 😛
I emailed Brenda today but she didn't email back....I'm hoping she does by tomorrow.
What did you ask?
I called her yesterday and she said that she had just called #61 and there were still a few offers that she hadn't heard from so she doesn't know how many spots are left.
What did you ask?
I called her yesterday and she said that she had just called #61 and there were still a few offers that she hadn't heard from so she doesn't know how many spots are left.
I just asked if she could update me on the progress on the waiting list.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys 





I second this 🙂, a lot can happen between know and August.
Awaring and everyone else waiting, I'm pulling for you! Remember that people are getting pulled off of other wait lists, too@![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any news? I want to call but I am a chicken!!
Send Brenda an e-mail! She is super nice and doesn't (seem to) mind people bothering her 😍 If anything, at least she knows its your top pick 🙂
Any news? I want to call but I am a chicken!!
I always felt that way, but then was like "omg that was so easy 🙄" after I called.
I called about twice a week and she was super sweet each time.
I wonder if most schools get this far into their "waiting-lists?"