Iowa OMFS Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openwyd22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone here is a resident at Iowa or if they have heard anything about the externship.

I tried searching, but didn't find much. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Curious if anyone here is a resident at Iowa or if they have heard anything about the externship.

I tried searching, but didn't find much. Thanks

I am a resident at Iowa.

Externship: Listed for 1 week...although occasionally we have a two-weeker. It's not like Parkland or LSU where you get to do a lot of your own stuff. You stay in one of our call rooms, observe/assist in the OR, observe/assist in clinic, and take call everyday for the week with whoever is on call.

It's a great experience for us to learn about you and you to learn about us and Iowa City. Most of our externs have enjoyed the experience (save the one that decided to sleep on a patient in the SICU's leg this year...man, oh man.)

...Most of our externs have enjoyed the experience (save the one that decided to sleep on a patient in the SICU's leg this year...man, oh man.)

Please share the details....:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Please share the details....:D

So it's a Friday night at like 3 in the morning after this guy's been on call every night for a week like a good extern should do...we were consulted on a patient in the SICU who was biting through his tongue. We wire in bite blocks to secure ET tubes as well as to stop tongue biting here. Anyway, he apparently felt that this wasn't that exciting, and instead of excusing himself, he took a seat, rested his head on the traumatized, barely alive patient, and decided to take a snooze. He was then rudely awakened and told that he had damn well better get out, and quickly by one of my coresidents.

Needless to say, that even after repeated phone calls trying to find out if he was going to get an interview here...he didn't.

So it's a Friday night at like 3 in the morning after this guy's been on call every night for a week like a good extern should do...we were consulted on a patient in the SICU who was biting through his tongue. We wire in bite blocks to secure ET tubes as well as to stop tongue biting here. Anyway, he apparently felt that this wasn't that exciting, and instead of excusing himself, he took a seat, rested his head on the traumatized, barely alive patient, and decided to take a snooze. He was then rudely awakened and told that he had damn well better get out, and quickly by one of my coresidents.

Needless to say, that even after repeated phone calls trying to find out if he was going to get an interview here...he didn't.

who does that? having a narcoleptic resident could be entertaining.