Iowa State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor713

Reaction score
Since most classes are full for this year I guess we’ll get started with threads for this application cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First time applicant here and Iowa is my top choice!

First time applicant as well, good luck to everyone getting their apps together!

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically my third time, but second time I applied I got on the waitlist - OOS! So fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
Second time applicant OOS. Good luck y’all!

On the supplemental application for the processing fee - it says if you paid last year to select that option... does that mean if you applied last cycle you don't have to pay again? A little confused about this

On the supplemental application for the processing fee - it says if you paid last year to select that option... does that mean if you applied last cycle you don't have to pay again? A little confused about this
That's correct. They only make people pay the fee every other year they apply. So if you were to apply next year, you would have to pay the fee again.

I am not applying this cycle as I was accepted last time and am currently preparing to start vet school at Iowa State in a couple weeks. However, I figured I would check in occasionally on these threads to see if I could be of any help to other applicants. Just figured I would let you know in case you wanted to ask someone who went through the whole process. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not applying this cycle as I was accepted last time and am currently preparing to start vet school at Iowa State in a couple weeks. However, I figured I would check in occasionally on these threads to see if I could be of any help to other applicants. Just figured I would let you know in case you wanted to ask someone who went through the whole process. Good luck!
May I ask...when and how (email?/phone call?) you received your acceptance decision?

May I ask...when and how (email?/phone call?) you received your acceptance decision?
Acceptance decisions are given mid February. When you apply, in addition to the VMCAS app you have to fill out their supplemental application. The supplemental application has it's own online portal you log in to. Here is where you will find information on your status. Towards the top there will be a spot saying your current status such as "in review", " alternate", "accepted", etc. You will also recieve a message on the message board (located on this portal) with the acceptance/decline letter. They will also send reminders on things or updates if they push the deadlines back. Mine was set up to notify me via email when a message was sent to me, then I logged in to view my status and messages. Hope this makes sense

Acceptance decisions are given mid February. When you apply, in addition to the VMCAS app you have to fill out their supplemental application. The supplemental application has it's own online portal you log in to. Here is where you will find information on your status. Towards the top there will be a spot saying your current status such as "in review", " alternate", "accepted", etc. You will also recieve a message on the message board (located on this portal) with the acceptance/decline letter. They will also send reminders on things or updates if they push the deadlines back. Mine was set up to notify me via email when a message was sent to me, then I logged in to view my status and messages. Hope this makes sense
Yes, excellent explanation...crystal clear...thank you so much...!

Are there any essays in the supplemental application? I don’t see anything when I log in to my account

Are there any essays in the supplemental application? I don’t see anything when I log in to my account
Not anymore (to my knowledge). There used to be a few short essay questions but they changed that last application cycle.

Does anyone know the different application status listings on the Iowa portal...mine currently shows "in academic review" What is next? When do GPAs show on the portal? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know the different application status listings on the Iowa portal...mine currently shows "in academic review" What is next? When do GPAs show on the portal? Thanks in advance!
Hey! That basically means Iowa is doing their GPA calculations based on their admissions. They do these individually and an actual person inputs them so there's usually a little bit of a turnaround. Once they calculate those the GPAs will appear on your status page. I cant remember what the next "status" is that it says but it might be something like "in committee review" until they release decisions in spring of next year! :) Hope that helps!

Hey! That basically means Iowa is doing their GPA calculations based on their admissions. They do these individually and an actual person inputs them so there's usually a little bit of a turnaround. Once they calculate those the GPAs will appear on your status page. I cant remember what the next "status" is that it says but it might be something like "in committee review" until they release decisions in spring of next year! :) Hope that helps!
Thank you it does. One more question, if you know.....My status page also shows that I need to send in my transcript in January after I take Biochem....one of my last prereqs for IOWA....will they re calculate my GPA or do they use the grades up to September 15th. Biochem is generally a tough course and I'm wondering if they might see a lower grade and take that into account from January to Feb 15th "decision day" Any thoughts?

Thank you it does. One more question, if you know.....My status page also shows that I need to send in my transcript in January after I take Biochem....one of my last prereqs for IOWA....will they re calculate my GPA or do they use the grades up to September 15th. Biochem is generally a tough course and I'm wondering if they might see a lower grade and take that into account from January to Feb 15th "decision day" Any thoughts?
So when I applied 2 cycles ago, I had an outstanding class, when I sent it in they did update my GPAs, but I'll be honest I'm not sure how it affected my decision. It was in the spring so honestly I already had a decision out and was on the waitlist. But they do recalculate GPAs but again not sure how much that's weighted into their decision process!

So when I applied 2 cycles ago, I had an outstanding class, when I sent it in they did update my GPAs, but I'll be honest I'm not sure how it affected my decision. It was in the spring so honestly I already had a decision out and was on the waitlist. But they do recalculate GPAs but again not sure how much that's weighted into their decision process!
Thank you for sharing your experience!

Technically third time applying. However 1st time OOS since I moved to New York for a job last year. 🙃 Iowa State is still one of my top schools though! AMAZING PROGRAM!!!

Third time applicant and this is my first time applying to Iowa!!

How does it look when GPAs populate? Mine stills says in academic review.
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 4.48.00 PM.png

It'll show up as a section between your sup app and signature page! :)

Are they the GPA's you were expecting?
Actually significantly better, like I could cry. I put a lot of effort into retaking some classes and doing a masters program and honestly when I looked at them today I teared up. Overall, I'm just proud of the effort I've put in to turn around a low GPA. :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Actually significantly better, like I could cry. I put a lot of effort into retaking some classes and doing a masters program and honestly when I looked at them today I teared up. Overall, I'm just proud of the effort I've put in to turn around a low GPA. :)
You go Girl!! :)

May I ask when you were verified on VMCAS?

Congratulations! You should definitely be proud of yourself! I hope whenever mine loads in it will be the same for me. I am currently working on a masters to help with my low GPA.

Mine was also a bit better than the VMCAS calculated GPA/Science GPA. Nice surprise :)

Reactions: 2 users
May I ask when you were verified on VMCAS?
I submitted August 26th and was then Verified August 29th (I will say that was even after a transcript hiccup because of a changed rule for a school that was initially considered an international school and then VMCAS rules changed but the guy who called me to work it out was AMAZING and pushed my app through the minute he got the transcript!) and then my GPAs populated today (Sept 6th), (and not sure if anyone cares but my status still says in academic review, I feel like I remember it didn't change until after they review ALL applications because they change their GPA cutoff based on the applicant pool). :)

Congratulations! You should definitely be proud of yourself! I hope whenever mine loads in it will be the same for me. I am currently working on a masters to help with my low GPA.
I know you've got this!! I believe in us!!!

• Care
Does Iowa State update the status any other time than the admissions decision in February? Just wondering if I should keep an eye out for changes now that everything is submitted.

For those of you whose GPA was published, did they receive your Casper score yet?

Does Iowa State update the status any other time than the admissions decision in February? Just wondering if I should keep an eye out for changes now that everything is submitted.
Yes! Your status goes from academic review to committee review if you pass the minimum GPA cutoff. Then it's a very long wait in committee review until admissions decisions are published in February.

Yes! Your status goes from academic review to committee review if you pass the minimum GPA cutoff. Then it's a very long wait in committee review until admissions decisions are published in February.
Do you know how long it generally takes to show "committee review"? I applied in mid-July and mine still says "academic review" Every other item shows green received or submitted....but no change in status since the beginning.

Do you know how long it generally takes to show "committee review"? I applied in mid-July and mine still says "academic review" Every other item shows green received or submitted....but no change in status since the beginning.
depends on how many applications they get. usually happens by the first week of december, but some people may get status updates as early as october.

I would say committee review will likely not happen until after the deadline coming up. This is because they are determining their GPA cutoff based on the application pool! And since they update everything manually I think they're more concerned right now with updating GPAs and making sure applications are complete, etc. :)