Iowa State vs. Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheval12

UW Madison c/o 2023!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
yay - so glad this sub-forum was made because I’m struggling!
I can get in state tuition at both IL and Iowa State, so the cheapest school option doesn’t really help me here. I’m in state at IL and I’ll have been working for over a year in Iowa by the time of matriculation.
I’ve seen both campuses, talked to students from both.
Pro about Illinois would be that I’d be closer to home and my family.
Pro of ISU wold be that I’m already here and know people at the school.
I want to do equine surgery eventually.
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
yay - so glad this sub-forum was made because I’m struggling!
I can get in state tuition at both IL and Iowa State, so the cheapest school option doesn’t really help me here. I’m in state at IL and I’ll have been working for over a year in Iowa by the time of matriculation.
I’ve seen both campuses, talked to students from both.
Pro about Illinois would be that I’d be closer to home and my family.
Pro of ISU wold be that I’m already here and know people at the school.
I want to do equine surgery eventually.
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! Thank you :)

That’s awesome that you will have 2 IS options! It will be a tough choice. The good news is that as you’ve said you’ve had a year in Iowa to acclimate and get a feel for the area and school. Also provides you with first hand cost of living data.

I’ll just mention info from the VIN Cost of Education map to consider. According to VIN the IS tuition for Iowa is $97,718 and is $127,136 for Illinois Their “estimates” for COL are $53,360 for Iowa and $73,040 for Illinois. Assuming the tuition numbers are accurate that alone is almost a $30k difference. The COL estimates add another almost $20k to the difference between schools. On the basis of cost alone I’d seriously consider Iowa.

Best of luck in your decision and congrats on a successful application cycle!!!

Reactions: 5 users
That’s awesome that you will have 2 IS options! It will be a tough choice. The good news is that as you’ve said you’ve had a year in Iowa to acclimate and get a feel for the area and school. Also provides you with first hand cost of living data.

I’ll just mention info from the VIN Cost of Education map to consider. According to VIN the IS tuition for Iowa is $97,718 and is $127,136 for Illinois Their “estimates” for COL are $53,360 for Iowa and $73,040 for Illinois. Assuming the tuition numbers are accurate that alone is almost a $30k difference. The COL estimates add another almost $20k to the difference between schools. On the basis of cost alone I’d seriously consider Iowa.

Best of luck in your decision and congrats on a successful application cycle!!!

Thank you so much! Totally forgot about using the VIN website. Just went on and it's really helpful. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, Illinois 2nd year. :)

So, touching on the cost of living point, I have never taken out the full cost of living amount. I've been taking out about 12k or a smidgen more per year, or basically 1000 a month. I also have 2 jobs at vet med to supplement. So I take out approximately 63 or 64k per year in loans.

As for equine specific considerations, we have an extremely active AAEP chapter that is easily one of the most active clubs on campus. I'm a member mainly for our equine emergency team. During the school year, I don't get called in too much, but last summer, I signed up for 70 hours a week on call and easily got called in 3 or more times a week. The equine clinicians at least know my face and many of them know who I am out right.

You're welcome to go hang out on equine cases with 4th years, particularly during breaks. It's a bit harder to do that during 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter since there are already two classes in clinics due to rotations.

I find the equine faculty pretty open to teaching and correcting incorrectness without making you feel like an idiot.

There is an equine junior surgery elective during third year for castration experience.

We have an equine intern every year and two equine medicine and equine medicine residents every year as well.

We just acquired a satillite clinic in southern Illinois that will *maybe* be acting as a rotation site for 4th years, but don't quote me on that one.

We also have an active theriogenology department of equine.

Lots of equine research going on as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in the mn driftless area. But i worked in wi and frequently traveled to iowa and Illinois.

Illinois by a landslide. Lots of diversity, the laws supporting/ helping animals in Illinois are better than surrounding states, and if you have any dietary restrictions the school definitely has more vegetarian and vegan options.

Iowa is beautiful and the people are kind.

ISU grad here, but I'm small animal GP, not equine. I know a couple of classmates who went on to equine internships, and two people who are doing equine surgical residencies. ISU has an active AAEP chapter as well, and they hold a castration clinic every year that you can start participating in your first year. AAEP organizes the equine ICU on-call list and foal watch list every year, sign up for as few or as many shifts as you're willing to take. There are also equine hospital rounds you can attend weekly starting first year. The hospital has jobs for students as well.

For courses, there's a farrier elective and an equine surgery elective, in addition to the usual equine med that's covered in the core curriculum. The surgery elective is only open to 3rd years, but I think you can take farrier before that.

For 4th year rotations at the school, there's med, surgery, dentistry, farrier, and field services. There is an equine-only therio rotation, but during the slow months, the therio rotations are collapsed into a single service that does all species large and small. I highly recommend optho as well, as a good portion of my patients on my optho rotation were horses and none of my rotation-mates were equine people so I took most of the equine cases and got to place a couple of SPL lines. We had 3 surgical residents (1 equine only, 2 equine/food animal), two medical residents, and a medical intern when I was taking rotations. Mixed animal people like me were only required to take one equine rotation, but I took both med and surgery and I'm glad I did. I got more hands-on surgical experience on my equine rotation than my small animal surgery rotations. I actually got to do a couple of laceration repairs, and scrubbed in on colics, dental braces application, and arthroscopy and do more than just act as an extra set of hands for holding things (like in small animal med). Probably could have done more, but I took NAVLE during my rotation so I'll admit I wasn't the most motivated of students in terms of caseload. One of my rotation-mates was going for an internship, so I think she did all the joint blocks for lameness evaluations since the rest of us were slackers. And we also saw a load of percherons that week for lameness, and I'm just a lil bit afraid of them because I'm small. I never would have guessed how much equine lameness evaluations would help me evaluate limping dogs now that I'm out in practice, but the equine surgeons taught me so much about gait assessment.

I think you can get a great education at either school.

@cheval12 What are the factors you're considering in your decision?

Thank you all for your responses - they're super helpful!

ISU grad here, but I'm small animal GP, not equine. I know a couple of classmates who went on to equine internships, and two people who are doing equine surgical residencies. ISU has an active AAEP chapter as well, and they hold a castration clinic every year that you can start participating in your first year. AAEP organizes the equine ICU on-call list and foal watch list every year, sign up for as few or as many shifts as you're willing to take. There are also equine hospital rounds you can attend weekly starting first year. The hospital has jobs for students as well.

For courses, there's a farrier elective and an equine surgery elective, in addition to the usual equine med that's covered in the core curriculum. The surgery elective is only open to 3rd years, but I think you can take farrier before that.

For 4th year rotations at the school, there's med, surgery, dentistry, farrier, and field services. There is an equine-only therio rotation, but during the slow months, the therio rotations are collapsed into a single service that does all species large and small. I highly recommend optho as well, as a good portion of my patients on my optho rotation were horses and none of my rotation-mates were equine people so I took most of the equine cases and got to place a couple of SPL lines. We had 3 surgical residents (1 equine only, 2 equine/food animal), two medical residents, and a medical intern when I was taking rotations. Mixed animal people like me were only required to take one equine rotation, but I took both med and surgery and I'm glad I did. I got more hands-on surgical experience on my equine rotation than my small animal surgery rotations. I actually got to do a couple of laceration repairs, and scrubbed in on colics, dental braces application, and arthroscopy and do more than just act as an extra set of hands for holding things (like in small animal med). Probably could have done more, but I took NAVLE during my rotation so I'll admit I wasn't the most motivated of students in terms of caseload. One of my rotation-mates was going for an internship, so I think she did all the joint blocks for lameness evaluations since the rest of us were slackers. And we also saw a load of percherons that week for lameness, and I'm just a lil bit afraid of them because I'm small. I never would have guessed how much equine lameness evaluations would help me evaluate limping dogs now that I'm out in practice, but the equine surgeons taught me so much about gait assessment.

I think you can get a great education at either school.

@cheval12 What are the factors you're considering in your decision?

Thanks for this! Definitely reassuring that there seems to be a lot of opportunity for hands-on experience early on. Basically, the thing that's making the decision hardest for me is two things:
1. I get in state both places and
2. I've also been accepted to Penn which I'm sure we all know has a great equine program.
Essentially, I'm worried if I choose the smart option and go in state for cheap tuition that I'll be missing out on some great experiences or connections I could get from Penn's equine center. I do want to go on to specialize. Do you think it'd be detrimental to pass that up? I've heard mostly that it still doesn't matter where you go, but I want to be sure I'm not placing myself at a disadvantage for receiving future internships and residencies.

Essentially, I'm worried if I choose the smart option and go in state for cheap tuition that I'll be missing out on some great experiences or connections I could get from Penn's equine center. I do want to go on to specialize. Do you think it'd be detrimental to pass that up? I've heard mostly that it still doesn't matter where you go, but I want to be sure I'm not placing myself at a disadvantage for receiving future internships and residencies.

I know of at least two current 4th years at Illinois that are going to equine internships after they graduate with every intent of going into residency. Every school has good connections because the field is so small. Nationwide, there are 100k veterinarians. Then you parse that down to equine vets. Once you get to this level, everyone knows everyone, so if you get yourself involved in the equine department wherever you go, you'll have a good networking set up to get it done. It really does not matter where you go as long as you put yourself out there.

Reactions: 3 users
I know of at least two current 4th years at Illinois that are going to equine internships after they graduate with every intent of going into residency. Every school has good connections because the field is so small. Nationwide, there are 100k veterinarians. Then you parse that down to equine vets. Once you get to this level, everyone knows everyone, so if you get yourself involved in the equine department wherever you go, you'll have a good networking set up to get it done. It really does not matter where you go as long as you put yourself out there.
Okay this is true. Good way to look at it - thank you.

I second this, 100%. You can get a good education at any accredited school. Get to know your clinicians, and they will get your foot in the door for networking opportunities. It’s all about who you know, and what great things those people will say about you.

Reactions: 2 users
I second this, 100%. You can get a good education at any accredited school. Get to know your clinicians, and they will get your foot in the door for networking opportunities. It’s all about who you know, and what great things those people will say about you.
That's what I keep hearing! Thank you