Iowa vs. Cincinnati, Med School Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiajanah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Michigan, so both would be out of state tuition for me, but I heard that you can get in-state tuition at Cinci after one year. But, does money really matter as much if (perhaps) Iowa is a better school? But, since Iowa is in a small town, does it matter that there might not be as much patient exposure (correct me if I'm wrong...)?

Money aside, which school would serve me best, not knowing what specialty I am interested in, but probably not primary care. Which school matches better? Which school has the better program? Which has better faculty? Which has better student housing/student life?

Any thoughts, experiences, opinions, stories about either school would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably find both of their match lists online. The rank difference isn't THAT different between the two, so unless the average Step 1 scores or match lists are drastically different, I wouldn't worry about that. I interviewed at both places too, and liked both of them. Weigh all considerations and especially think about where you would be more happy. You have a long time to decide and definitely go to second look at both! You're just going to get people from each school on here convincing you that their's is better haha. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is very early to have this discussion. Aid packages haven't gone out and you could get into a different school later, rendering this discussion moot.

Did you get into both schools already or is this a hypothetical?

I got into both schools, and they are what I am deciding between. I know it will ultimately be a personal decision, but I was just wondering if anyone had any information (personal or otherwise) about why one school might be the better choice!

I got into both schools, and they are what I am deciding between. I know it will ultimately be a personal decision, but I was just wondering if anyone had any information (personal or otherwise) about why one school might be the better choice!

Congrats!

I think people like when an OP shows some extra legwork for these questions. You'be already seen both, so perhaps share your impressions, or your own perceived pros and cons list that others can correct or expand on, etc.

Beyond simplifying the question for others (who are mainly premeds...), and providing your insights (which can reveal what you've considered vs not), consolidating everything can help you narrow in on what appeals to you most. It's a lot easier (for me) when everything is laid out rather than hand waved ("is extra tuition worth it?" "Well... How much extra are we talking?")

Example:
School a
4 year estimated COA:
Class size:
Curriculum/lecture style:
Grading:
Residency programs (home programs could be nice to have):
Curricula extras (required research? Projects? Mentoring?):
Step 1 study time:
...list could go on. Then compare that to school b. See what stands out, what speaks to you, what concerns you,etc.

Congrats!

I think people like when an OP shows some extra legwork for these questions. You'be already seen both, so perhaps share your impressions, or your own perceived pros and cons list that others can correct or expand on, etc.

Beyond simplifying the question for others (who are mainly premeds...), and providing your insights (which can reveal what you've considered vs not), consolidating everything can help you narrow in on what appeals to you most. It's a lot easier (for me) when everything is laid out rather than hand waved ("is extra tuition worth it?" "Well... How much extra are we talking?")

Example:
School a
4 year estimated COA:
Class size:
Curriculum/lecture style:
Grading:

Residency programs (home programs could be nice to have):
Curricula extras (required research? Projects? Mentoring?):
Step 1 study time:
...list could go on. Then compare that to school b. See what stands out, what speaks to you, what concerns you,etc.
Of these, I've bolded what I have found to be most important.

Reactions: 1 users
No one really wants to or can answer your question if you don't do any work and provide us with a list. Like @NonTrad16 said, please list specifics about each school that you like and don't like. Include location, culture, community feel, opportunities, etc. You find out all the info, lay it out for us and we can understand what your particulars are and then help you decide.

I am from Michigan, so both would be out of state tuition for me, but I heard that you can get in-state tuition at Cinci after one year. But, does money really matter as much if (perhaps) Iowa is a better school? But, since Iowa is in a small town, does it matter that there might not be as much patient exposure (correct me if I'm wrong...)?

Money aside, which school would serve me best, not knowing what specialty I am interested in, but probably not primary care. Which school matches better? Which school has the better program? Which has better faculty? Which has better student housing/student life?

Any thoughts, experiences, opinions, stories about either school would be greatly appreciated!

Match lists are a worthless metric. As a pre-med, it's easy to think there must be some insight to be found in this data, but as someone who has been through the process for residency and fellowship, I promise there isn't. So many variables go into a creating a rank order list that from the outside you can never know. Geography, family concerns, prior research relationships, USMLE scores and just gut feeling matter so much more than name. Further, it's impossible to know the nuances of "top" programs for every specialty to know if the match list is that "impressive". You'll never know that the person with the 268 on Step 1 always wanted to be a pediatric cardiologist and as a 3rd year med student presented a poster at the Chest conference with the head of Peds CT surgery, and had a husband with a great job in the area meaning it was a lock they never looked anywhere else but their home program...yet you read the match list and go "huh, another hometown peds match" despite the fact that the person in question could have matched at any peds program in the country had they wanted to.

Put together your list of things that matter to you, figure out which matter most and go to the place that fits that list best.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you like Iowa's house system and their distinction programs? It is a higher ranked program, but if you don't like the more distinctive parts of the program then the reduced cost of Cincinnati may be better.

I would go to Iowa just to be on the Short Coat Podcast :p

Cincy.

Better clinicals and associated residencies.

I would take the 18-month pre-clinicals, the learning communities and the Distinction tracks. I interview at Cincy next month, so if people can tell me why it is a great school, I would love to hear it. Other than the fact that it is in Iowa, I can't find a fault with that school.