Wisconsin (UWSMPH/Madison) vs Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tarantula

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both schools are out-of-state for me, and the COA is comparable. I’m not sure what speciality I’m interested in but want to keep the door open to competitive specialities, and I am interested in an academic career. I’m between these 2 schools as my final choice because they have a lot of pros in common:

- Mid-sized city (not too big, not too small)
- 1.5 pre-clerkship
- Plenty of research opportunities
- Pretty cities imo
- Opportunities for pathways in the medical humanities and medical education
- Etc.

They also have the same con of not being super diverse… And they’re out-of-state. Like they are honestly super comparable to me. The few differences I can think of are:
- UWSMPH has true P/F, whereas UCCOM has P/F with “high distinction” for above 91% (plus quartiles for clerkships)
- UWSMPH is around 2.5 hours away by car from my hometown, whereas UCCOM is like 4.5 hours away. Neither is close enough to live at home, obviously, so maybe a negligible difference
- I lived in Cincy when I was a kid so I’m somewhat familiar with the area / have some ties, but obviously it’s been a while
- Cincy is slightly cheaper

At the end of the day, the choice obviously does come down to me, but I would love to know, “in a vacuum,” whether either school is significantly “better” than the other, what other factors I should maybe consider, and any personal insight you guys may have. Thank you so much!
 
Madison vs. Cincinnati... they're not megalopoli, but they aren't the same size either. Madison is more a college town with a state capital (like Columbus). Cincinnati has more history, various pro sports teams, at least two "major" universities, and is consequently similarly diverse.

It also gets insanely hot in Cincinnati (check the latitudes). Cincinnati borders Kentucky, so figure out if it's feasible to live across the Ohio River since that makes Cincinnati relatively cheaper. (Check your taxes too.) You have options to get away from Cincinnati (Columbus/Cleveland/Dayton, Indianapolis, Louisville/Lexington, Pittsburgh). Not that Madison is in the middle of nowhere, but other than Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minneapolis...

In short, which place do you feel gives you a better chance to succeed with a more than credible residency profile?