Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry messed up the post

Members don't see this ad.

anyone call today? I feel llike I am stalking them everytime I call.

The instate waitlist has moved a total of 15 spots.

So, for me anyway, close but no cigar (yet)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else depressed at how slowly the Iowa OOS waitlist is moving this year?

TinyHineyRikki said:
Is anyone else depressed at how slowly the Iowa OOS waitlist is moving this year?

I'm IS Tiny, but I know how you feel. The IS list has moved about 5-15 spots less than it usually does by this point in the year. Waitlists are no fun, that's for sure. Hang in there, though, and hopefully July brings good luck to all of us.

Has anyone been able to get through to admissions lately? Everytime I call nobody answers.

When I talked to the admissions people, they told me that the waitlist usually sees a lot of movement early on in the summer. Seeing as how this year it is sort of trickling, I got the impression that it might move rapidly at the very end of the summer. Does anyone who spoke with the admissions people agree with this assessment?

TinyHineyRikki said:
When I talked to the admissions people, they told me that the waitlist usually sees a lot of movement early on in the summer. Seeing as how this year it is sort of trickling, I got the impression that it might move rapidly at the very end of the summer. Does anyone who spoke with the admissions people agree with this assessment?

Tiny,

If you are on the alternate list, then you probably already received the email last week stating that individuals holding an offer of admission at another medical school will no longer be eligible for admission at Iowa if he/she has matriculated at another school. I guess this is the cut off point for everyone, but I wonder how many actually have another school since it is so close.

I do hope that many have offers at other schools so the list will move rapidly since it hasn't yet this year. With my number I would have been accepted for the past several years, yet I'm still on the IS alternate. :'(

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I believe mine has as well. I only expect movement for about 2-3 more people before orientation starts at Iowa. For the past several years, it only moves about 1 person/week in July. I am starting to make other plans with the unlikelyness of a major movement. And even if it does move, I'm wondering if all the financial aid will be gone, how they will get everything they will need from me, besides figuring out the housing situation on such short notice. I really need to be organized going into medical school, and I need some time for that and the adjustment to the area.

If anyone has any thoughts or updates on the lists movements...please keep us all posted (for our personal stress and also to relieve the school from us all calling so frequently)!

Thanks for the response, and I think you are probably right. I am on the OOS list, but I don't think that it is going to make any difference. I really liked the school when I interviewed there so I guess I was trying to hold on until the end. How do they work out financial aid if you get accepted last minute before classes start?

TinyHineyRikki said:
Thanks for the response, and I think you are probably right. I am on the OOS list, but I don't think that it is going to make any difference. I really liked the school when I interviewed there so I guess I was trying to hold on until the end. How do they work out financial aid if you get accepted last minute before classes start?

It sounds like there are some on the OOS list who are holding other acceptances. Are you lucky enough to have another option if Iowa doesn't pan out in time? I'm well outside the top 10, but I'll be waiting optimistically until the day orientation starts! It seems that movement is still well behind last year...but maybe not that slow compared to a couple of the prior years.

I think that the application system should be changed such that the waitlist shuffle is resolved by June 15th (or so).

Good :luck:

2 Boys! said:
It sounds like there are some on the OOS list who are holding other acceptances. Are you lucky enough to have another option if Iowa doesn't pan out in time? I'm well outside the top 10, but I'll be waiting optimistically until the day orientation starts! It seems that movement is still well behind last year...but maybe not that slow compared to a couple of the prior years.

I think that the application system should be changed such that the waitlist shuffle is resolved by June 15th (or so).

Good :luck:

I am unfortunetly in waitlist hell, but Iowa is my favorite. Don't they seem so optimistic when you talk to them on the phone? It seems for a split second (while talking to them) that I might actually have a chance to get in. Here's hoping for a miracle :luck:

I just called and somehow I have moved back one spot. Did anyone else have this same problem?

TinyHineyRikki said:
I just called and somehow I have moved back one spot. Did anyone else have this same problem?

Please disregard this post I am an idiot. It didn't happen.
thanks
THR

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...it's coming up on three weeks until orientation. What is anyone who's still holding out on the OOS or IS alternate lists (admitted elsewhere already or not) doing at this point? Are you moving forward with other plans? I'm still hoping for a last second call that someone didn't show up for orientation.

I'm finally into the teens on the OOS list, but time is running short! :luck:

2 Boys! said:
Well...it's coming up on three weeks until orientation. What is anyone who's still holding out on the OOS or IS alternate lists (admitted elsewhere already or not) doing at this point? Are you moving forward with other plans? I'm still hoping for a last second call that someone didn't show up for orientation.

I'm finally into the teens on the OOS list, but time is running short! :luck:

I am in the same boat. I think I am going to hang on to hope until the end. When was the last time you checked you number on the list?

TinyHineyRikki said:
I am in the same boat. I think I am going to hang on to hope until the end. When was the last time you checked you number on the list?

The last time I checked was just about a week ago.

2 Boys! said:
The last time I checked was just about a week ago.

Do you know the date of the last day they could potentially call us for an acceptance? If called, would you go?

TinyHineyRikki said:
Do you know the date of the last day they could potentially call us for an acceptance? If called, would you go?

IIRC...when I asked them back in March, they said that a call could come on orientation week. Going to school in Iowa really fits my family well. I'll be all over a last second call and be very appreciative of being able to attend this year!

Good news for the iowa waitlisters. I emailed them last week to turn down the offer of acceptance. Im OOS. I received an out of office email reply that most of the admissions people were on vacation so they havent probably processed the email yet. but when they return this week someone is going to get into Iowa. Maybe an OOS person? I started out in the mid 30s on the OOS waitlist.

Good luck to all of you still waiting, I wish you the best of news.

:luck: :luck: :thumbup: :thumbup:

DrZee said:
Good news for the iowa waitlisters. I emailed them last week to turn down the offer of acceptance. Im OOS. I received an out of office email reply that most of the admissions people were on vacation so they havent probably processed the email yet. but when they return this week someone is going to get into Iowa. Maybe an OOS person? I started out in the mid 30s on the OOS waitlist.

Good luck to all of you still waiting, I wish you the best of news.

:luck: :luck: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the information DrZee. Just out of curiosity did you turn them down for your state school or just another one you prefer over Iowa? I am just wondering if it is possible that other people would turn down OOS spots this late in the summer.
Thanks again.
THR

TinyHineyRikki said:
Thanks for the information DrZee. Just out of curiosity did you turn them down for your state school or just another one you prefer over Iowa? I am just wondering if it is possible that other people would turn down OOS spots this late in the summer.
Thanks again.
THR

I got into SUNY Upstate in syracuse, New York off the waitlist pretty close to when the Iowa decision came so I was on both waitlists forever. I decided on Upstate for some reason, I forget what now. :oops:

I was originally going to go to U wisconsin-madison. Midwestern cities are soo nice to live in, I just wish I was an instater.

It has been almost 3 weeks since the last email from Iowa, so I decided to call today for the 'In-staters' amongst us. They told me 'The In-state List' has moved one more since 3 weeks ago (still closer...but the cigar appears to be getting farther and farther away).

It therefore looks highly unlikely that I will get into Iowa this year since I'm not sitting in the number one seat. I don't want to sound so pessimistic, but maybe I should be relieved, however, since I am more confident now that I will be able to do something else. If I was number one, I would be HIGHLY stressed right now...
to be in Iowa City or...
not to be in Iowa City...
I guess it's easier somehow for those of us that have no question.

Good Luck to everyone...I know I read this daily (if not 4-5 times) so still keep us posted on your progress. Just keep in mind that you should do in life what makes you happiest...you have but ONE life to live! I interviewed with an individual that didn't get in from the waitlist last year, and I am almost positive he got in this year. This year has been one of the toughest, so you should be quite proud to BE on the alternate list...I had 3 friends that didn't make it this far. It is an accomplishment in itself, and you shouldn't let this hold you back from what you want to do!

Sorry to hear that the IS list is sluggish...

The OOS list is still moving (I have moved 18 spots in the past couple weeks...sounds like that is mostly folks decling to stay on the waitlist). I'm still on the bubble keeping my fingers crossed. I need a couple of OOS folks to withdraw. Two weeks to go!

Thanks eveyone for the info and the encouragement! Good :luck: !!!

TinyHineyRikki said:
Anybody still there on OOS list?

I'm still haning around. Any news since the middle of last week?

2 Boys! said:
I'm still haning around. Any news since the middle of last week?

I called yesterday, and I moved up one spot. I think it was one of the two people that had acceptances elsewhere dropping out. I think at this point we just have to hope some people withdraw soon. The admissions office told you that historically up to 2 people withdraw this late in the season? Do you know if they did it before, during, or after orientation?
THR

TinyHineyRikki said:
I called yesterday, and I moved up one spot. I think it was one of the two people that had acceptances elsewhere dropping out. I think at this point we just have to hope some people withdraw soon. The admissions office told you that historically up to 2 people withdraw this late in the season? Do you know if they did it before, during, or after orientation?
THR

I was told that for the years when the current admissions process was used, there was a year where 2 folks were admitted in August (last year?). It sounds like all withdrawals happen well before orientation starts, and that additional withdrawals are rather unlikely at this point.

2 Boys! said:
I was told that for the years when the current admissions process was used, there was a year where 2 folks were admitted in August (last year?). It sounds like all withdrawals happen well before orientation starts, and that additional withdrawals are rather unlikely at this point.

Yeah I kinda figured that no one would withdraw this late from an OOS spot. The only thing I can think of is if they get in at their state school. But it doesn't sound very promising.
THR

TinyHineyRikki said:
Yeah I kinda figured that no one would withdraw this late from an OOS spot. The only thing I can think of is if they get in at their state school. But it doesn't sound very promising.
THR

Any miracles in the last two working days? :thumbup:

I must've been offered DrZee's spot, cuz I was offered the spot last week. OOS.

But I also turned them down right away, so somebody must've been offered that spot last week.

I called yesterday and admissions pretty much told me that it was a snowball's chance in hell that any last minute withdrawing would occur. I was very disappointed to say the least. We have until next thursday for something to happen that apparently hasn't happened in the history of Iowa admissions.
THR

I think it is pretty much over for this year. I am pretty sure thursday is the last day they can call.

TinyHineyRikki said:
I think it is pretty much over for this year. I am pretty sure thursday is the last day they can call.

Unfortunately, we had our White Coat ceremony and the end of orientation yesterday. While I cannot confirm whether our class had any empty seats, my guess is that if there were, you would have received a phone call. I am sorry to be bearer of bad news, but I wanted to clarify as well as acknowledge that admission is now very unlikely.

I wish all of you the best in your future endeavors.

ClarinetGeek said:
Unfortunately, we had our White Coat ceremony and the end of orientation yesterday. While I cannot confirm whether our class had any empty seats, my guess is that if there were, you would have received a phone call. I am sorry to be bearer of bad news, but I wanted to clarify as well as acknowledge that admission is now very unlikely.

I wish all of you the best in your future endeavors.

Thanks, congrats, and good luck yourself!

For anyone who is an alternate next year and is searching for info...

It sounds like once they get within the last week or so before orientation, at least the OOS list has not historically moved...but they did suggest to me that anything is still possible right up to the orientation head count.

I started in the 90's on the OOS alternate list and ended up being really close at the end. There is lots of hope on that list (but I have to admit I don't want to be there again!!! :) :scared: ).

Good luck! :luck:

Hey all,
Got my letter from Iowa today, and Im #20 on the in-state alternate list. Anyone have an idea how that will go?

Thanks

This has been discussed at length all day on the IOWA - FINAL POOL thread. I'd check over there, but I think you've got a decent chance.