Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bingley said:
Tiny, 2 Boys...

You both are amazing.... fast info!
I did not understand the overaccept part of the equation in regards to last year... my impression was that this was a new thing started this year.... however, I have nothing to really base this on.

That 17 places remain before May 15 is both exciting and scary.

Best of luck :luck: :luck: to you both.

I think that is the non-resident list, right? I just called the admissions office and they said my number had moved down three spots since the last email update (12 to 9). This waiting thing sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info about your withdrawls snobored18 and OrganLibrarian. They are greatly appreciated. The resident list has moved more in the last week than it did in the last seven weeks combined.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: If after May 15, you get an acceptance off a watlist, how much time do you have to decide between the new offer and the old acceptance?
Is it 2 weeks?

From what I gathered during the interviews, most schools will give you two weeks to respond if accepted from the waitlist.

FloridaRL said:
From what I gathered during the interviews, most schools will give you two weeks to respond if accepted from the waitlist.

Thanks,

OrganLibrarian said:
I also have withdrawn my acceptance to Iowa (I'm in-state). Good luck to all of you guys - SailCrazy and I are bummed that we don't get to meet all of you next year...we'll just have to be faux-enemies during the Michigan/Iowa football game this fall! :smuggrin:
Faux? Why faux?
When it is game time, I say go for the real thing! :scared:

:laugh:

FloridaRL said:
DrZee said:
Question: If after May 15, you get an acceptance off a watlist, how much time do you have to decide between the new offer and the old acceptance?
Is it 2 weeks?
I think that is generally true at first, but as schools get closer and closer to the start of classes, you get much less time.

OrganLibrarian said:
SailCrazy and I are bummed that we don't get to meet all of you next year...
Since you're speaking for the two of us and using big words like "we," does this mean that we're going to have to hold hands or that I'm going to have to carry your books around campus for you or something like that?

Because I don't know what kind of a guy you think I am, but there's now way I'm givin' it up like that unless we're officially going steady! (Well... probably if you buy a few drinks for me and give me a nice compliment like "Your slacks look nice" or "You don't smell so bad today" I might carry a book or two without getting into the whole commitment thing!) :D

OrganLibrarian said:
Ha! I felt that during our driving tour of Ann Arbor, we just really bonded. I mean we're tight now! We're even facebook friends (which obviously means we know each other well). And yeah, um, if you want to carry my books I don't think I'll be too upset... :D
1001, 1002, 1003...

:eek: Oh, OrganLibrarian, I wasn't expecting company...
Just doing my workout. Tuesday is arms and back. In fact, I've been using these hardbound copies of Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy instead of dumbells! It's a deep burn... I can barely lift my arms because I did so many.

I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand. I've been working on my uvulus muscle. It connects to the upper dorsimus. :thumbup:

You're right, we do go way back. I guess I wasn't sure about revealing the depth of our relationship. Clearly some people will be jealous you know. ;)

kaat44 said:
I think that is the non-resident list, right? I just called the admissions office and they said my number had moved down three spots since the last email update (12 to 9). This waiting thing sucks.

Are you on the OOS list? 'coz the last update indicated that I was #9 on the non-resident list. I hope it starts moving soon.

I'm a newbie, so here's a stupid question (or crazy idea): Has there ever been a case where two or more applicants traded acceptances? (please don't flame me...)

Members don't see this ad :)
newbie1kenobi said:
Are you on the OOS list? 'coz the last update indicated that I was #9 on the non-resident list. I hope it starts moving soon.

I'm a newbie, so here's a stupid question (or crazy idea): Has there ever been a case where two or more applicants traded acceptances? (please don't flame me...)

They made it seem like the non-resident list moves really quickly, so you have a REALLY good shot of getting in. Everyone keeps telling me I will get in too, I hope they are right! Good luck and maybe see you in August!

I just sent in my withdrawal. I'm an OOS student. Good luck to everyone who's waiting to hear!

bmcnd13 said:
I just sent in my withdrawal. I'm an OOS student. Good luck to everyone who's waiting to hear!

oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!! keep 'em coming! :)

kaat44 said:
Yeah, I'm # 9 on the resident list. They made it seem like the non-resident list moves really quickly, so you have a REALLY good shot of getting in. Everyone keeps telling me I will get in too, I hope they are right! Good luck and maybe see you in August!

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Good luck to everybody :luck: :luck:

ughhh as of today when i called at 1 i was # 2 on resident list...anyone dropping soonn..after may 15th????? i should hear soon right...***SIGH****

DocMD85 said:
ughhh as of today when i called at 1 i was # 2 on resident list...anyone dropping soonn..after may 15th????? i should hear soon right...***SIGH****

Hope the list moves pretty fast after they process those withdrawals sent in today. Looks like you'll make it though, my Magic 8 Ball says "outlook good"! :luck:

DocMD85 said:

Hey, DocMD85, where did you start out? It said earlier "upper teens"--I started out 14 and haven't been offered admission. ?? I wonder if tomorrow is the day?? Anyway I got into NYMC today so I know I'm going somewhere!!

Good luck to you too. It looks to me like you will get in, and probably soon too. :)

hey i was 12 in the begining ...soo u are 4 now!! :)...yeah hopefully sooooooooooon ...

Withdrew on the 15th - OOS. Good luck folks.

newbie1kenobi said:
OOS wait list is moving (beyond overaccepts). Sorry that I have no further info. Best of luck!! :luck: :luck:

bingley said:
OOS wait list is moving (beyond overaccepts). Sorry that I have no further info. Best of luck!! :luck: :luck:

Hi bingley,
How did you find out? Did you call today? How far did you move up the list? (Sorry for all the questions, just really anxious right now) :scared:

newbie1kenobi said:
Hi bingley,
How did you find out? Did you call today? How far did you move up the list? (Sorry for all the questions, just really anxious right now) :scared:
Hi newbie.... I have called a couple times in the past weeks... stressed as well. Today I was told that the OOS list was moving. Not sure how many, but I am relieved that we are beyond the overaccepts... Sorry I don't have more info, but I will update when I call next time.... they (Iowa Admissions) are really really nice.

Thanks bingley, I'll give them a call tomorrow...so nervous... and excited...:scared:

Just called today. OOS waitlist on the move, I'm up 4 spots. Will I ever get there? :scared:

Has anyone else received an alternate status update e-mail today? Also, does anyone now if there will be anymore movement after today since I have only moved up 9 spots since the last e-mail?

TinyHineyRikki said:
Anyone hear anything from Iowa yet?

Yeah, I think I got a similar email to you. I have moved up 12 spots on the instate waitlist since it came out in March. Other than that, I haven't heard anything.

hey RFR MCA where were u on the list originally....hmm cuz i was number 12 and i am trying to gauge if i am in yet or not...?!?!?

Just signed on to SDN today and wanted to keep the information for Iowa instate coming. I started as #11 on the instate waitlist and just got my acceptance via email today (packet is in the mail).

DocMD85-you should be next. All the best. :thumbup:

Good luck to ALL those waiting :luck: :luck: :luck:

Is it just me or does it seem like the OOS waitlist is hardly moving?

TinyHineyRikki said:
Is it just me or does it seem like the OOS waitlist is hardly moving?
It seems like the lists have switched or something :) the in states are moving rapidly and the out of state list is moving through the swamps.
:oops:

lilbean said:
Just signed on to SDN today and wanted to keep the information for Iowa instate coming. I started as #11 on the instate waitlist and just got my acceptance via email today (packet is in the mail).

DocMD85-you should be next. All the best. :thumbup:

Good luck to ALL those waiting :luck: :luck: :luck:

oh sweet lilbean...thanks for letting me know :D :D :D

Hey I withdrew from the non-resident wait list earlier this week, so that should be moving up one more spot, hope that helps some one behind me...

Good luck everyone!

kaat44 said:
Hey I withdrew from the non-resident wait list earlier this week, so that should be moving up one more spot, hope that helps some one behind me...

Good luck everyone!

:thumbup: Thanks! I'm pretty sure it helps me!

Here's to keepin' things moving! :luck:

2 Boys!

What do you guys think of University of Wisconsin, Madison (accepted) Vs. University of Iowa (WL) vs. SUNY-Upstate (High priority waitlist)? I am out of state at all of these schools but can become instate at NY after one year of residence. WI and IA will be OOS for all 4 years. I am worried about the residency placement/ how well graduates do/ reputation of school with residency directors, that sort of thing. I think I would like to go to either California or New York for residencies so what should I do?
Please help.

Honestly, as an Easterner who went to the Midwest for medical school, I can say that both UW and UI are better schools that Upstate. (I'm at UI but I did undergrad in NY state and originally had no clue about midwest schools). This obviously isn't a universal truth, but the folks I know at Upstate are not happy. You might stand a better chance of matching at mid-tier NY programs just based on the ease to do away rotations and any "geographic" advantage (some residency programs are interested if you have ties to the area, as this may mean that you'd be more likely to rank their program higher in the match). I doubt Upstate would have much influence on CA programs.

The folks I know at UW enjoy both the school and the city. I've heard that their clinical training is good in most if not all depts. I've seen their match list and it's fine. It's certainly known in the Midwest as well as the coasts.

I'm at UI, and I didn't appreciate our school and our rep until I got here. I don't think we get a lot of attention in some circles, but we always have a fine match list and people have no problem getting NY or CA residencies. A lot of people in the academic medicine community see Iowa as a strong or up-and-coming school. I'm not sure how they worked it, too - but I know several OOS-ers who took 1 year off (either before school, or as a fellowship between m1/m2 or m2/m3) to gain residency status for tuition purposes.

I just called today and I was told that the OOS waitlist is moving. Does anyone else have any other info.?

Thanks for the response :) It was helpful. I still dont know what to do though I may not need to decide anyways. lets wait and see what happens. :)
dante201 said:
Honestly, as an Easterner who went to the Midwest for medical school, I can say that both UW and UI are better schools that Upstate. (I'm at UI but I did undergrad in NY state and originally had no clue about midwest schools). This obviously isn't a universal truth, but the folks I know at Upstate are not happy. You might stand a better chance of matching at mid-tier NY programs just based on the ease to do away rotations and any "geographic" advantage (some residency programs are interested if you have ties to the area, as this may mean that you'd be more likely to rank their program higher in the match). I doubt Upstate would have much influence on CA programs.

The folks I know at UW enjoy both the school and the city. I've heard that their clinical training is good in most if not all depts. I've seen their match list and it's fine. It's certainly known in the Midwest as well as the coasts.

I'm at UI, and I didn't appreciate our school and our rep until I got here. I don't think we get a lot of attention in some circles, but we always have a fine match list and people have no problem getting NY or CA residencies. A lot of people in the academic medicine community see Iowa as a strong or up-and-coming school. I'm not sure how they worked it, too - but I know several OOS-ers who took 1 year off (either before school, or as a fellowship between m1/m2 or m2/m3) to gain residency status for tuition purposes.

I GOT IN!!!!!... which means instate is up one more!!! Good Luck to all of you waiting :) :) :)

Is anyone counting on the June 15th deadline to get things moving on the OOS list?

TinyHineyRikki said:
Is anyone counting on the June 15th deadline to get things moving on the OOS list?

I sure am! Things sure have been moving slowly the past few weeks. What exactly is the June 15th deadline?

It is the final official deadline where people who have more than one acceptance will be "taken off the list" at schools they haven't said they were attending. I'm thinking maybe a lot of OOS kids just didn't tell Iowa they are going to another school. When I talked to the peeps at Iowa(over a week ago) I kinda got the message that there are people accepted that had multiple acceptances still.

TinyHineyRikki said:
It is the final official deadline where people who have more than one acceptance will be "taken off the list" at schools they haven't said they were attending. I'm thinking maybe a lot of OOS kids just didn't tell Iowa they are going to another school. When I talked to the peeps at Iowa(over a week ago) I kinda got the message that there are people accepted that had multiple acceptances still.

Thanks! Cheers to June 15th! :thumbup: :luck: