Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2 Boys!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone in the post-interview final pool seen a letter yet? It's getting close to go time here... :eek:

2 Boys!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing yet. Are you in-state or OOS?

None here!! Good luck to all of us!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys (and gals)!!!!!!!

Does anyone know the official date? I recall March 15th was the date of notice......

I am excited, but not very confident.... OOS non-trad.

Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

bingley said:
Does anyone know the official date? I recall March 15th was the date of notice......

I am excited, but not very confident.... OOS non-trad.

Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Yeah...March 15th is the "target" date, but I understood it to be that they may finish selection and send out our letters earlier than that!

I'm right there with ya...OOS non-trad...hoping to buy my two little boys some Hawkeye gear!

Best of luck!!! :luck:

2 Boys!

2 Boys! said:
Yeah...March 15th is the "target" date, but I understood it to be that they may finish selection and send out our letters earlier than that!

I'm right there with ya...OOS non-trad...hoping to buy my two little boys some Hawkeye gear!

Best of luck!!! :luck:

2 Boys!

Emailed Cathy.....reply said expect to hear from us between March 8th and March 15th

Thanks for the info, HawkDoc.

Has anyone else been so pummeled in this application process that you've been made into a terrible pessimist? It's like I've been knocked on the ground and all the schools are taking turns kicking me in the stomach. Well here comes Iowa who I assume, thanks to my deep medical-school-induced pessimism, is going to take its turn to kick me now. At least the end is near.

a few months ago gdbaby predicted that I will get in, so I am pretty confident. :D

Same status here...Post interview- I interviewed when they were still rolling-was eventually placed in the final pool for a march 15th target of getting final decisions. I have ofcourse no hope of getting in considering Im OOS and they had already "overaccepted" OOS'rs according to what they told us on the interview day a few months ago.
I have two questions for anyone who remembers what they said:
1) How many will they accept and waitlist or reject?
2) Do they call you or just mail/email the burning news?

DrZee

laboholic said:
a few months ago gdbaby predicted that I will get in, so I am pretty confident. :D
I still stand by my prediction.

BTW DrZee: I can't remember the stats of accept/waitlist/reject, but I do remember those stats being presented to me and thinking I have a 50/50 shot of getting in post-interview.

Also, they send you a wonderful letter in a big, thin envelope. :)

gdbaby said:
I still stand by my prediction.

BTW DrZee: I can't remember the stats of accept/waitlist/reject, but I do remember those stats being presented to me and thinking I have a 50/50 shot of getting in post-interview.

Also, they send you a wonderful letter in a big, thin envelope. :)
Thanks gdbaby,
wow, now I really wish for a wonderful big thin envelope even if I have a minimal chance of getting in :) :thumbup: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who do get waitlisted, Iowa has been known to take a significant number of people from the waitlist each year (you are ranked w/ a number). Last year I know that they went down into (at least) the late 20's b/c a guy from my undergrad got in as a late 20's spot.

Good luck to all.

i think i am freaking out right about now also :-\

oh, dammit...I have to go abroad tomorrow morning and wont get back for 2.5 weeks!
I wont be home to see the news ..no matter how ghastly it is in person. By then I should have a better idea of what I will be doing next year. Oh the suspense is killing me...at least I will be away and busy instead of biting fingernails as usual

By the way has anyone dared to call the office recently and ask whats up?

DrZee said:
By the way has anyone dared to call the office recently and ask whats up?

im too much of a wimp, although i contemplated strolling by the admissions office to see if i can see a pile of envelopes on the secretary's desk getting ready for mail. :)

i just noticed that they disabled the online secondary application (i cant login anymore). maybe they have made their decisions and reset everything for next year! If you are an iowa person and have a hawkid, try to log into ICON. When you are accepted they sign you up for a course called PreM1 where you can look for roommates and stuff. Not sure if they do it immediatly but if you are registered for the class you might find out before you get the letter! I dont have it on mine though :thumbdown:

so you dont get an email even if you get rejected?

I don't think they register you for the pre-M1 communications on ICON until you accept their offer and turn in the deposit...then again they just opened that up to accepted students maybe 3 weeks ago...at that time they sent a mass e-mail not off the list serve to all of those who were accepted and it looks like they have accepted close to 170 people thus far (I was bored at work one day and counted). So they have already over shot the class size in the rolling phase. Based on previous years they probably will still hand out at least 30 more out-right acceptances before they set their waitlist as I'd assume a number of people previously accepted may be headed elsewhere.

From a fellow lab mate who has applied this cycle:
LETTERS WERE SENT OUT TODAY!!
Good luck to you all!! Hope to see you all in the fall! (espically DocMD85, cus she's cool)
:) :luck:
Sorry if the big text gets to you, wanted to make sure you all could see it without having to search through several posts :D

jrae said:
From a fellow lab mate who has applied this cycle:
LETTERS WERE SENT OUT TODAY!!
Good luck to you all!! Hope to see you all in the fall! (espically DocMD85, cus she's cool)
:) :luck:
Holy Crap! Good luck to all of you!!! Labaholic, you will have to buy me a beer when I get in town to thank me for my ability to see into the future! Damn, Iowa does everything early! :)

They were sent out today or that person received his/her today?

SENT, when my fellow lab mate called this morning at 9AM, it was made clear that the letters were going to be sent in the mail today. For you IC folk, I would say you would get them in the next day or two, otherwise I would guess they would arrive late this week or early next week depending on where you live.

Also what someone said about the waitlist is true. They go through at least 10-20 I'm pretty sure. After that I think it depends on the year. I was on the wait list at first and received my acceptance letter 1 wk later. Lastly, I don't know if this is true or not but my guess is that Iowa has two separate waitlists, one for In state and one for oos. I hear that the oos wait list is pretty much depleted every year. When I got my letter last year is said: "you are #____ on the In state wait list." Hope it helps......

For those of you waiting: I know you will post on Wall of Fame, too, but post here as well so your easier to identify. Wiatlist people, post here too so I know on whose behalf I need to send strongly worded letters.

Best of luck to everyone waiting...

note: this has nothing to do with iowa or this thread.

gdbaby. i miss you.
-mota

I know someone who said they got off the waitlist in the 40s a couple years ago. So it is possible.

And I can confirm the rumor that letters have been sent today!

drmota said:
note: this has nothing to do with iowa or this thread.

gdbaby. i miss you.
-mota
mota--that gives me chills. the good ones.

This gd thread better be brimming with acceptances starting tomorrow!!!! Laboholic, this means you!

gdbaby said:
This gd thread better be brimming with acceptances starting tomorrow!!!! Laboholic, this means you!

wohoo!

snobored18 said:
I don't think they register you for the pre-M1 communications on ICON until you accept their offer and turn in the deposit...then again they just opened that up to accepted students maybe 3 weeks ago...at that time they sent a mass e-mail not off the list serve to all of those who were accepted and it looks like they have accepted close to 170 people thus far (I was bored at work one day and counted). So they have already over shot the class size in the rolling phase. Based on previous years they probably will still hand out at least 30 more out-right acceptances before they set their waitlist as I'd assume a number of people previously accepted may be headed elsewhere.
snobored18 do you know how many of the 170 are in-state and how many OOS?

I can't tell you that...basically what happened is they sent an e-mail regarding our ICON passwords to all accepted students only everyone's e-mail was visible so being bored in lab one day I decided it would be way more entertaining to count how many people were on the list to get an idea of how many folks they already let in then do what I was supposed to be doing. So I have absolutely no way of breaking it down...all I do know is there seemed to be a ton of @uiowa.edu addresses.

nicki29 said:
snobored18 do you know how many of the 170 are in-state and how many OOS?

According to the MSAR in 2003-04 there were 97 in state and 45 OOS. I thought Kathi said there were 97 or 98 in state this year.

snobored18 said:
I can't tell you that...basically what happened is they sent an e-mail regarding our ICON passwords to all accepted students only everyone's e-mail was visible so being bored in lab one day I decided it would be way more entertaining to count how many people were on the list to get an idea of how many folks they already let in then do what I was supposed to be doing. So I have absolutely no way of breaking it down...all I do know is there seemed to be a ton of @uiowa.edu addresses.

at @uiowa address can be either in state or oos. There are a decent number of oos undergrads at Iowa.

AAAAaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhh! Today's the day for our Iowa City hopefulls!!!!!

jrae said:
at @uiowa address can be either in state or oos. There are a decent number of oos undergrads at Iowa.

Agreed...

oh dear....lol alternate list...number 12...resident list...what do u guys think!!??!?!

DocMD85 said:
oh dear....lol alternate list...number 12...resident list...what do u guys think!!??!?!
Noooooo!!!
Although it sounds to me like you will be in from what jrae said earlier.

DocMD85 said:

Looks like you are in! :thumbup: (I know 2 people w/ acceptances that are going to turn them down... so you are already #10)

Unfortunately, I will not be joining you :thumbdown:

thanks for the hopes gdbaby, but I dont think I will be using your fortune telling services in the future :D

Have as much fun at Iowa as I have the last 6 years! Its a great city!

laboholic said:
Looks like you are in! :thumbup: (I know 2 people w/ acceptances that are going to turn them down... so you are already #10)

Unfortunately, I will not be joining you :thumbdown:

thanks for the hopes gdbaby, but I dont think I will be using your fortune telling services in the future :D

Have as much fun at Iowa as I have the last 6 years! Its a great city!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! What the hell is this potential applicant pool for anyway?!?!?

This is NOT the direction this thread was supposed to have gone.

DocMD85 said:

You will be joining us I'm pretty sure...I know three residents who are headed elsewhere at this point...there were some great resident applicants this year so don't worry about number 12. If my 3 don't overlap you are what at #7 now...congrats...

gdbaby said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! What the hell is this potential applicant pool for anyway?!?!?

Its for drowning people.... slowly and painfully

laboholic said:
Its for drowning people.... slowly and painfully
Are you going somewhere else?

DocMD is now currently way excited while reading over my shoulder......I tried to tell her earlier that she was as someone else in the lab put it, "In like Flinn"

So sorry to hear about your letter labaholic...... :( sometimes they are crazy in who the let in and who they overlook. Never know what will happen.

gdbaby said:
Are you going somewhere else?

Looks like Im going to Midwestern University in chicago - DO

I really liked the school when I interviewed so im not too bummed - my girlfriend is going to Iowa, thats the bad part :(

laboholic said:

I really liked the school when I interviewed so im not too bummed - my girlfriend is going to Iowa, thats the bad part :(
I have heard really nice things about that school! Tell you what: if I end up at Iowa, I will have your girlfriend over for cocktails at least once a month. She will tell funny stories about you and I will make some up. Like, remember that camping trip we all went on and you drank down the benadryl thinking it was Pepto-Bismol? Man, we couldn't wake you up for days!!!

gdbaby said:
I have heard really nice things about that school! Tell you what: if I end up at Iowa, I will have your girlfriend over for cocktails at least once a month. She will tell funny stories about you and I will make some up. Like, remember that camping trip we all went on and you drank down the benadryl thinking it was Pepto-Bismol? Man, we couldn't wake you up for days!!!

Lol! Good times. I actually think that might have happened... but of course I cant remember. :laugh:

laboholic said:

Congrats on the school. My bf lives in the Chicago area and it hasn't been too bad this year distance wise.

Well, got the alternate list letter today. Even though it says "it is difficult to estimate an alternate's chances of being admitted," I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, anyways. Here is some info I got from the 2005 US News Med School Guide.

IS: Acc-128, Enr-97
OOS: Acc-149, Enr-45

From that info, they took 31 off the In-state list (I'm IS). I know it varies year to year, but does anyone know the numbers from the past few years?

Also, does an in-stater only fill IS openings, and likewise for out-of-staters filling only OOS openings?