iPad Air fit in White Coat pocket?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pyrogenic

AquaticHygieneTechnician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since black friday is around the corner there are a few deals for the new iPad air. I am thinking about buying one but I wonder if it would fit in the pocket of white coats. I know it is thinner than the older version because they got rid of that black boarder around the screen, but before I go out and drop half a G on it I would like to know if I would be able to keep it in my pocket in clinic during med school.
Any current med students with the new iPad air?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but consider an iPad mini. I'm happy with mine and never wish I had a bigger screen. Though if the new iPad air is as light as this iPad mini is then it would be almost as portable.

Yes they do. Medical schools are offering them to third years precisely because of this reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry I know that the iPad mini fits. I don't know about the air.

My full-size iPad fits (with some struggling). A mini will have no problem. It's a problem of width, not thickness.

Also, some schools will provide you with an iPad - maybe you want to wait?

Since black friday is around the corner there are a few deals for the new iPad air. I am thinking about buying one but I wonder if it would fit in the pocket of white coats. I know it is thinner than the older version because they got rid of that black boarder around the screen, but before I go out and drop half a G on it I would like to know if I would be able to keep it in my pocket in clinic during med school.
Any current med students with the new iPad air?

Thanks
This will be your BFF. Just go to a Best Buy and measure the iPad Air and measure your coat pocket. Hmmm you are barely entering, so ask several people their coat pocket measurements.
istockphoto_4848558-measuring-tape1.jpg

I have an iPad 2, which is only about half an inch wider than the Air, and there's no way that thing is fitting in my white coat pocket. Like someone said above, it's the width, not the thickness, that's the limiting factor here. Go for the mini. If my iPad hadn't been a gift, I would have chosen the mini.

Can't you guys get your white coats tailored in a day? Whenever I'm in medical school (optimism) I'm getting mines tailored with multiple pockets. The inside of my coat will have pockets for my protein bars/shakes, iPad, candy (for peds), weight bands (I cant' miss my workouts yo!), and if anything else comes to mind there will be a pocket for it. :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Unless you needed/wanted the iPad anyway, depending on the return policy, I would hold off if you don't know where you're going to med school yet.
-Some places are now putting an extra, large pocket on the inside of the coat for tablets
-Some places in which the hospital actually allows the iPad to functionally interface with the EMR etc. will give you the iPad for keepsies or compel you to use their iPad (which you then return) with their apps etc.
-Do you really want to carry a tablet around in the hospital where you are going to be working? Some hospitals are safer than others, and an iPad left unattended by mistake (it happens...can't tell you how many cell phones AND tablets I've returned to residents & how many people I know who've lost their smartphones in the hospital) could disappear in a second.
-What are you hoping to use it for and will that even work in the hospital? Some hospitals are great -- 4G works & they have copious WiFi for free. Other hospitals seem to be made to expressly prevent any useful wireless communication -- 4G doesn't work & they have minimal WiFi which requires login and has tight restriction to certain hospital websites. If your goal is to use it for ebooks of Pocket Medicine and things like that, of course you'd be fine. But if you're hoping to be doing searches online, you might be disappointed.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't you guys get your white coats tailored in a day? Whenever I'm in medical school (optimism) I'm getting mines tailored with multiple pockets. The inside of my coat will have pockets for my protein bars/shakes, iPad, candy (for peds), weight bands (I cant' miss my workouts yo!), and if anything else comes to mind there will be a pocket for it. :laugh:

Don't forget female hygiene products!

I'm expecting you're being sarcastic. But if you're not, a white coat is not your utility belt. It seems rather impeding to carry that stuff when you could just leave it in the office. Seeing someone carrying around food and protein shakes seems rather unprofessional and unsanitary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want a white coat with no pockets. I have no idea why anyone would want to carry around 50 pounds of crap all day.

All I know is that the iPad Mini fits perfectly in my white coat pocket (got it free from school). It does not fit in some of my smaller classmates' pockets, so it is coat size-dependent. My coat is a size 6.

Don't forget female hygiene products!

I'm expecting you're being sarcastic. But if you're not, a white coat is not your utility belt. It seems rather impeding to carry that stuff when you could just leave it in the office. Seeing someone carrying around food and protein shakes seems rather unprofessional and unsanitary.
Nah, bro, I'm just joking. But I would tailored my coat to fit my needs. Depending on the rotations, will depend what's in my coat pockets. Protein bars for sure, though.

Nah, bro, I'm just joking. But I would tailored my coat to fit my needs. Depending on the rotations, will depend what's in my coat pockets. Protein bars for sure, though.

I don't feel like white coats are often tailored, especially since they're over all your clothes. The ones I have, even when I did research, look and fit great without any tailoring since the sizes are incremented quite well. But maybe I'm misinformed on the 'norm'. Also, you can just keep a stash of food (and protein bars) somewhere, no point in carrying them around, unless you want to rub in the fact you can eat while your patient is NPO.

I don't feel like white coats are often tailored, especially since they're over all your clothes. The ones I have, even when I did research, look and fit great without any tailoring since the sizes are incremented quite well. But maybe I'm misinformed on the 'norm'. Also, you can just keep a stash of food (and protein bars) somewhere, no point in carrying them around, unless you want to rub in the fact you can eat while your patient is NPO.
When I say tailored I meant adding pockets to it from the inside or making the pockets bigger.

I think this will do instead of caring crap around.
6-Pack-Bag_Details-small.jpg

Current 3rd year weighing in here. The iPad Mini w/ Retina is the way to go. With case, it fits right in and is easy to use with one hand. Its great for down time and I occasionally use it on the wards when the situation is appropriate. I have all my 3rd year books as PDFs and read them on the iPad Mini - most of the books are in the same form factor/dimensions as the mini (Surgical Recall, Pocket Medicine, etc). I had the old iPad Mini and the only limitation was the screen - the new Retina is awesome and makes it easy on your eyes for heavy reading. Some of the residents have regular iPads and special coats with bigger pockets, but it seems too cumbersome to me (also applies to iPad Air). However, I could see how the full size iPad would be useful for the first two years. [Note: I don't work for Apple, but I should!]

Current 3rd year weighing in here. The iPad Mini w/ Retina is the way to go. With case, it fits right in and is easy to use with one hand. Its great for down time and I occasionally use it on the wards when the situation is appropriate. I have all my 3rd year books as PDFs and read them on the iPad Mini - most of the books are in the same form factor/dimensions as the mini (Surgical Recall, Pocket Medicine, etc). I had the old iPad Mini and the only limitation was the screen - the new Retina is awesome and makes it easy on your eyes for heavy reading. Some of the residents have regular iPads and special coats with bigger pockets, but it seems too cumbersome to me (also applies to iPad Air). However, I could see how the full size iPad would be useful for the first two years. [Note: I don't work for Apple, but I should!]

This is what my school is doing - we have full-size iPads for the first two years and once third year starts, we'll switch over to iPad minis.

I realize it's pretty nice for carrying around lots of literature, but how easy is it to find something in a book on the iPad on the fly?

Don't forget condoms bro, never know when a call room is available. :laugh:

This is what my school is doing - we have full-size iPads for the first two years and once third year starts, we'll switch over to iPad minis.

I realize it's pretty nice for carrying around lots of literature, but how easy is it to find something in a book on the iPad on the fly?

This is one area where the iPad is less good. Still carry around PocketMedicine and some other quick reference materials. iPad handy for reading and things. Also using it on rounds for calculations and quick drug look ups. Hopefully when more apps come out I can finally ditch all the paper books.

Mad props guys for having sex with girls and giving us nerds everywhere hope :p , but seriously don't drop that much money if the white coat thing is a serious factor. At my school, the pocket sizes change by the size of the coat. I wear a 42L and they fit great, however most of the girls' pockets are too small to fit ipads. Not to mention it's going to be 3(?) years before you're wearing it regularly and would have use of an ipad. Realistically, it'll be 5(?) years before you're in residency and can actually put in orders and use it for more than looking up vitals. Get one if you want it for other ****, but not because you want to use it in the hospital.

Didnt know phil health was aspiring doctor . hehe

This is one area where the iPad is less good. Still carry around PocketMedicine and some other quick reference materials. iPad handy for reading and things. Also using it on rounds for calculations and quick drug look ups. Hopefully when more apps come out I can finally ditch all the paper books.

Shouldn't the iPad be most efficient at this? Especially with the Find function and the endless reference that is Google?

No need for that. Pull-out method and a prayer for no STD's. :xf:

Even though I know this is sarcasm, :eek:

Mad props guys for having sex with girls and giving us nerds everywhere hope :p , but seriously don't drop that much money if the white coat thing is a serious factor. At my school, the pocket sizes change by the size of the coat. I wear a 42L and they fit great, however most of the girls' pockets are too small to fit ipads. Not to mention it's going to be 3(?) years before you're wearing it regularly and would have use of an ipad. Realistically, it'll be 5(?) years before you're in residency and can actually put in orders and use it for more than looking up vitals. Get one if you want it for other ****, but not because you want to use it in the hospital.

Why is it that many (if not most) medical programs are now requiring tablets then?

In the end, I get by just fine with a laptop and a smartphone.

You should get a strap sewn in so you can carry watches. Lots of them. This way when you encounter a patient in cardiac failure you can offer up their choice of a new ticker, in the most seedy way possible.

Reactions: 2 users

What size do you recommend? 16GB or 32GB? I have a regular iPad but am planning on getting a mini for my rotations that start in May.

My school gave us ipads our first year, but they are the larger/heavier 3rd generation ones and are kind of unwieldy in the white coats. I actually plan to sell mine soon so I can buy the ipad mini instead.

My school gave us ipads our first year, but they are the larger/heavier 3rd generation ones and are kind of unwieldy in the white coats. I actually plan to sell mine soon so I can buy the ipad mini instead.

If you mean the non retina version, my undergrads med school gives them out and I've heard nothing but wonderful things about them. From what I've heard, using Dropbox or Box or whatever is popular nowadays to hold your textbooks is basically a godsend. Also, they fit in white coat pockets!

If you mean the non retina version, my undergrads med school gives them out and I've heard nothing but wonderful things about them. From what I've heard, using Dropbox or Box or whatever is popular nowadays to hold your textbooks is basically a godsend. Also, they fit in white coat pockets!
Yup, since everything is already set up in my ipad already to my liking, all I need is to do is transfer things over to a smaller platform. I like using the ipad for stuff, but the 3rd gen is just too big and heavy for carrying around in a coat all day.

Very good to know! I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now.

Very good to know! I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now.

Whoa, I was reading this thread because I'm thinking of getting a tablet and when I came across your post I was like "yeah, I've been thinking the same thing"..."wait, [sees avatar] I posted this???"..."WTF I don't remember posting this!! :eek: Am I sleep posting on SDN or something???"..."[sees SDN handle] Oh thank god I'm not crazy!" :p