1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ipad for anatomy and beyond

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MB333999, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MB333999

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've never been a big fan of the ipad. I mean i already have a macbook pro so i cant really justify getting an ipad but, i think with interactive e-books like this one, it just might be worth getting...

any thoughts??

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKYyd4Ne5uQ[/YOUTUBE]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're spending how much for school?

What's another $600. Anatomy text on the go. I'm a huge fan.

4. MB333999

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yea i can really see myself making use of this, but i just wanted to hear from med students who may already have experience with it or other ipad e-books.

5. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Essential Clinical Anatomy is a cool book. I recommend it. an iPad is not essential.

iPads are pretty neat gadgets. I don't know about you, but I get tired of looking at a computer screen. I would hate to study off of one the amount you'll need to during medical school

6. startswithb

startswithb Future Urologist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    iPad is great for lounging or on the go studying. I can see using it for flashcards, anatomy/histology slides and reading. It's nice if you don't want to be chained to a desk.

7. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took a med school anatomy course. People had the iPad...however I did just fine with a Netter's and Thieme (best book ever).

8. swamprat

Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That looks awesome.. I wouldn't personally buy an iPad just for that but if your one of those gotta have and love everything apple fans thats a huge plus to buying it IMO the testing with anatomy is cool.. not necessary but cool.

9. bomgd3

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IMO the hard part of anatomy isn't necessarily knowing what things are in cartoons--it's being able to identify them on various bodies. An anatomy reference isn't very useful if you can't bring it into lab with you and get it dirty. That's why I think you'd be much better off buying a good atlas

10. MB333999

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    good point

the one thing i have always liked about e-books in general is how fast you can find very specific information using the find word(s) feature

11. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I will never bring my iPad in the anatomy lab. It's too bad because my Netter's is on the iPad. Oh well....

12. osumc2014

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  13. Fleur de Me

Medical Student
    I loved my ipad for first year- especially because I could download the lecture PDFs and images and draw all over them during lecture or dry lab (I agree, I'd never take the ipad into the cadaver lab). It was especially useful during histology when I could put stars on things he talked about, or arrows. So much more efficient than printing out 75 color images!!

I personally have found it to be an extraordinary investment. I would also recommend the Netters anatomy flashcards for the iPhone/iPad- this was one of my favorite things that I would play with on the go. I also liked being able to have all of my PDFs with me all of the time and only carrying around something small. I also made my own digital flashcards (where I imported images from lecture files or the web) that I would use.

Maybe it isn't for everyone, but I thought it revolutionized the way I studied. Oh, and I love the Inkling textbooks- there aren't very many of them, but the best part is you can buy them by the chapter, for like, $1.99 each. Awesome!

14. MB333999

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Research complete

Verdict - purchasing

Remaining questions - 3G or no 3G?

Requesting opinions

15. Longshanks

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you don't wanna spend the money on a data plan don't get 3G. Keep in mind too that now the wireless companies are now using tiered data plans and Verizon is switching to that very soon as well, so you may be paying a hefty monthly bill to have a data plan necessary to you. At most schools or places you will be, there should be wifi, and you'd be fine with that. IMHO.

16. bobsmith

7+ Year Member

Just do this:
    [​IMG]

Putting a big clear bag over the iPad means you can still use the iPad, but any chemicals/body parts won't get on it and it's a lot more portable than bringing a book in.

17. Fleur de Me

Medical Student
    I don't know- I have the 3G but didn't activate the data plan- you don't need a "plan"- you can do it month to month. I figure it will be useful during months where I'm traveling a lot or on away rotations where my computer hasn't been added to the network (we have to register our devices in our hospital, which mine is, but wouldn't be if I was a rotating student). It isn't like a phone where you have to do a 1-year or 2 year contract.

I like the option- so I got it, but at the moment I do 99% of my work at home, school, or in the hospital where I'm on WIFI.

18. :thumbup:
    Formaldehyde is only like the 3rd most potent odor you will come across in med school. Definitely do this if you want your iPad to want to never touch your iPad again after Anatomy. You will find that no barrier will keep that awful smell out. Gloves may keep the chemical itself off your hands, but it will do nothing to prevent them from smelling all week.