Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
ipad air vs ipad mini retina display

which one do you pick?
I had a laptop to type notes onto powerpoint lectures using open-note for the first 2 yrs. I felt like I could type much faster on the laptop. As a 3rd yr I mainly use a mini tablet to review PDF/pptx. It's nice to have both. It depends on what you plan on using it for. If it's your primary note taking device obviously go with the larger ipad. If you want something smaller to take out so it's not so obvious to professors that you are on Facebook you might want the smaller mini. I seem to use the mini mostly before tests when I'm only viewing documents and not editing

Bman1047

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
They're practically the same thing, it just boils down to the screen size and price per space you wanna pay (cheaper for mini). I opted for the the bigger screen 'cause I think it's easier to read ebooks on a bigger screen. At the end of the day it's personal preference...my classmates have both types and none of them have regrets for their decision.

OP
J
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for all your replies. I just ordered the new mini lol

CleverThought

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Dental Student
*if* I get in, I tend to use both a computer and iPad air. It's kind of the system I use now - classes that require a lot of supplemental info - just due to typing speed I will use computer while in classes that you only write a few additional notes I will use the iPad.

My husband tried to sell me on the lenovo yoga because it is a laptop that folds back into a tablet - but I'm not a windows person.

OP
J
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
*if* I get in, I tend to use both a computer and iPad air. It's kind of the system I use now - classes that require a lot of supplemental info - just due to typing speed I will use computer while in classes that you only write a few additional notes I will use the iPad.

My husband tried to sell me on the lenovo yoga because it is a laptop that folds back into a tablet - but I'm not a windows person.
I am sure you will get in:) How did you like Minnesota? I interviewed two weeks ago and I was really impressed by Moos building.

CleverThought

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Dental Student
I am sure you will in:) How did you like Minnesota? I interviewed two weeks ago and I loved it. really impressed by Moos building.
LOVED IT!! For sure my top choice. I loved everything about it.

Reactions: Jps17kl

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dental Student
I'm going to get the surface pro 2 if I get into a dental school that doesn't already include a laptop in the fees.

Outlook, onenote, power point, excel, word, plus you're on a ssd and sick haswell chip ... so much goodness ^^

squigloo

Cutest Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm going to get the surface pro 2 if I get into a dental school that doesn't already include a laptop in the fees.

Outlook, onenote, power point, excel, word, plus you're on a ssd and sick haswell chip ... so much goodness ^^
You might also want to consider getting a better laptop and a good tablet for the same price, if not cheaper. The pro is definitely convenient, but you're paying a premium for it.

gn4

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
Status
Dental Student

can you use a stylus to take notes on the pro? I write faster than I type, so I'd like to be able to write on power point slides or some kind of notepad thing.

squigloo

Cutest Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
can you use a stylus to take notes on the pro? I write faster than I type, so I'd like to be able to write on power point slides or some kind of notepad thing.
You can probably download an app to do so, but they exist for most tablets.

Reactions: gn4

squigloo

Cutest Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'll probably go with a nice new notepad. College ruled. Might even splurge a little on the easy tear outs for organizing.
But taplits r so conveenyint nd bettar & appl iz best

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dental Student
Yeah, I'm getting whatever the latest generation ultra book is in addition to the surface pro 2 =P..

squigloo

Cutest Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
^^^ Undoubtedly taken at an evil school like Villanova where they require you to buy those... things.

That, or it was taken in a philosophy lecture.

Mr. Thirsty

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 28, 2011
Status
Dentist
Yes, That's one of the best parts of the surface pro. Most tablets like android, ipad and such use a "touch sensitive stylus" which is a little more accurate than your finger at best. But the surface comes with a digital Wacom stylus. It writes as accurate as an actual pen and works on most apps, and all the office apps. It senses whenever the pen is close to the screen so you can rest your wrist on the screen while writing without accidentally pressing on screen buttons. It also has a digital eraser on the back of the stylus pen. It's perfect for science classes because you can type anywhere on the screen, and then when a crazy diagram comes up in lecture you just flip the keyboard back or tear it off and start circling and drawing arrows with the stylus. I highly recommend using OneNote office app if you like to write on your notes. It can import pdfs, power points, websites, images etc.

Reactions: hitmans45 and gn4

gn4

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Yes, That's one of the best parts of the surface pro. Most tablets like android, ipad and such use a "touch sensitive stylus" which is a little more accurate than your finger at best. But the surface comes with a digital Wacom stylus. It writes as accurate as an actual pen and works on most apps, and all the office apps. It senses whenever the pen is close to the screen so you can rest your wrist on the screen while writing without accidentally pressing on screen buttons. It also has a digital eraser on the back of the stylus pen. It's perfect for science classes because you can type anywhere on the screen, and then when a crazy diagram comes up in lecture you just flip the keyboard back or tear it off and start circling and drawing arrows with the stylus. I highly recommend using OneNote office app if you like to write on your notes. It can import pdfs, power points, websites, images etc.
Awesome advice. Thank you for the info. Battery life is good?

Mr. Thirsty

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 28, 2011
Status
Dentist
You might also want to consider getting a better laptop and a good tablet for the same price, if not cheaper. The pro is definitely convenient, but you're paying a premium for it.
Yeah, I'm getting whatever the latest generation ultra book is in addition to the surface pro 2 =P..
To be honest getting another laptop/computer with the surface pro would be overkill. If you are getting the surface RT than you would want another computer with it. The surface pro 2 IS a laptop/ultrabook, that can be turned into a tablet. It's not the same as the Surface RT which is only a tablet. I haven't touched my actual laptop since I got the pro. You can run quality games on the surface pro (the first gen model) including Skyrim, DayZ etc.
Awesome advice. Thank you for the info. Battery life is good?
The surface pro 2 gets about 7.5 hours, which isn't bad considering it is a full windows 8.1 computer.

Here's a nice read on it for all the specs: http://techgeek.com.au/2013/11/07/microsoft-surface-pro-2-review-productive-tablet-ever/