Ipad/Iphone Apps that are good for rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good Ipad/Iphone apps for my rotations. I know people have found MedScape and Pepid useful (although I believe Pepid is like $200 a year, while MedScape is free). Does anyone have any additional recommendations? I'm trying to look for something that would be a helpful aid on the wards. Say, for example, I want to find out more about ALL: pathophysiology, medications, treatments, etc. Any good apps for that that don't go overboard?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, Uptodate is the best resource in almost every arena, if you want to know about new studies directly you will have to head to pubmed, but Uptodate usually holds resources and references. Uptodate is pretty much the closest thing to reference backed google for medicine.

Be careful using your phone on rotations. I know you're probably not, but when you stare at your phone for extended times it can look like you're texting or goofing off. Just find a computer, print out something if computer space is at a premium and read that...

That being said, uptodate should be all you really need. Maybe find some good study podcasts to listen to while driving/commuting/exercising. That's also helpful for some people too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
FM Apps:

AHRQ ePSS-->all of the USPSTF guidelines
ASCVD Risk Score-->guide for lipid therapy
QxCalc-->use this most often to calculate eGFR (despite it being on lab slips)
Pap Eval/Preop Eval-->any of Joshua Steinberg's apps are helpful

Maybe find some good study podcasts to listen to while driving/commuting/exercising.
67.gif

In addition to the above, epocrates can be useful sometimes for drug information. I usually have just used it if I need to know dosing, but it also has other info like side effects, contraindications, etc. Also, some of the tables can be useful. For example, on peds I was using the pediatric vital signs a lot. Also, uworld obviously.

Anybody pay for any services? My school has UpToDate free over their wifi but not via proxy. Epocrates looks good but they also seem to want $175 for their full list of features. Just curious if spending any money is worth it for an app 3rd year.

Anybody pay for any services? My school has UpToDate free over their wifi but not via proxy. Epocrates looks good but they also seem to want $175 for their full list of features. Just curious if spending any money is worth it for an app 3rd year.
I'd just use MedScape.

Reactions: 1 user
I use these...

Read by QxMD(for journal search)
Neurology Dx(for differential diagnosis)