iPad Pro 11” or 12.9”?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldude97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m buying an iPad Pro for dental school and heavily debating of whether to get 11 or 12.9 inch one? Anyone have any suggestions or experiences to share?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a laptop, 11 inch.
No laptop and if you plan to use it as your main device, 12.9 inch.

Reactions: 1 user
Get the bigger size. It will be nice to have the extra real estate when taking notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the IT requirements of your dental school first before buying anything. Some give you laptops and electronics for use while in school, and some utilize programs that are not always supported on Mac OS.

Thanks for the replies! I have a laptop but I was mainly going to keep it at home cuz it is pretty old from early 2013. Taking notes in dental school with it side by side is my main concern of the 11” being to small....

My iPad Pro 12.9 is coming home tomorrow :D. Returned the 11-inch 2 weeks ago after having it for only 2 days. Too small for viewing pdfs + taking notes side by side. Go with the 12.9.

I like the 11 inch because it's similar in size to a notebook or piece of paper -- 11x8 :)

I like the 11 inch because it's similar in size to a notebook or piece of paper -- 11x8 :)
Nah, that's not even close, 11-inch is the diagonal length, which would be 14 inches long in the case of an A4 paper 8x11. Ipad Pro 12.9 is as close to a piece of paper as you can get.

I have a 12.9 inch and love it. My buddy as an 11 inch and loves it. It's definately personal preference. I like to watch TV shows on mine at night and I have The Muse case by Zugu (Amazon) so I can prop it up in any direction and I love the size for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I have a laptop but I was mainly going to keep it at home cuz it is pretty old from early 2013. Taking notes in dental school with it side by side is my main concern of the 11” being to small....

Then go with the 12.9.
11 is too small if you want to take notes side by side

Nah, that's not even close, 11-inch is the diagonal length, which would be 14 inches long in the case of an A4 paper 8x11. Ipad Pro 12.9 is as close to a piece of paper as you can get.
lol woops! I haven't really used a real notebook in a long time haha

I’m buying an iPad Pro for dental school and heavily debating of whether to get 11 or 12.9 inch one? Anyone have any suggestions or experiences to share?
Oooh! I love tech threads!

Honestly, I'd buy whatever you like. Be sure to get an apple pencil to draw your notes out.

Congrats on getting into dental school!

for those that have the ipad pro, are you planning on purchasing the magic keyboard?

i'm in the same boat as you OP, i can't decide either. BUT once stores are safe again, you should go play around with it at the apple store to see which one you'd prefer. I'm going to wait to do that (and I'm also waiting for any sale haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
for those that have the ipad pro, are you planning on purchasing the magic keyboard?

i'm in the same boat as you OP, i can't decide either. BUT once stores are safe again, you should go play around with it at the apple store to see which one you'd prefer. I'm going to wait to do that (and I'm also waiting for any sale haha)
I will, but not brand new.

Oh, i meant the one coming out in May (the one with the new trackpad)
we're all basically buying a computer with separate parts x) haha
Yeah, I will wait till people return them and then buy refurbished lol. There is no way I am dropping 350 for a keyboard.

I was debating this for about 3 months. Finally decided to go with the 12.9 inch, its so amazing

Does everyone find this better than typing out notes?
I've been typing my notes out for most of my undergrad classes because I find it faster than writing.
I understand it varies from person to person but it seems like almost everyone opts to use the tablet now in dental school.

I've been typing my notes out for most of my undergrad classes because I find it faster than writing.
I understand it varies from person to person but it seems like almost everyone opts to use the tablet now in dental school.
So What I found is that it's better for memorization to write your notes out as you're forced to slow down and retain information. However, I also type my notes to redo my notes as well.

Using a tablet can allow one to draw their notes with the convenience of one pen and so many colors. To me it's like the cool kid having 64-count Crayola crayons. You bet I'm prepped to draw the anatomy of teeth - or the structure of the abdomen anyway - hate saliva so you know I'm not about to be a dentist.

I remember my dean saying to try not to type because it's "too mechanical for learning" (not sure what the means tbh?) but typing is faster.
However, writing down notes helps me learn better (and faster), so at the end of the day the time positive for typing is negligible as I don't retain much from typing.

Reactions: 2 users
The iPad air 3rd gen also works really well for those on more of a budget. Works with 1st gen apple pen too.

I’ve had the 12.9 inch for about a year. Have never regretted that decision.

I remember my dean saying to try not to type because it's "too mechanical for learning" (not sure what the means tbh?) but typing is faster.
However, writing down notes helps me learn better (and faster), so at the end of the day the time positive for typing is negligible as I don't retain much from typing.

It has to do with muscle and rote memorization. Seeing the word as you’re writing it out gives better retention. Writing the same word or phrase multiple times creates familiarity and gets the synapses firing. I tutored for many years and always had my students write problems down on the whiteboard and rehearse the information as if they were lecturing it to people who never heard of the concepts. Its how I studied for the DAT and all of my classes both in hygiene school and undergrad. I literally had a whiteboard in my living room just for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got the 12.9 in, did you get the 3rd or 4th generation?
I don't see much of a difference between the two besides the camera.

For those who got the 12.9 in, did you get the 3rd or 4th generation?
I don't see much of a difference between the two besides the camera.
I got the 2020 version. I figure that the extra 2gb of ram will be useful in the long run.

I have the 12.9 (already have a laptop). Is a keyboard helpful for the ipad if the main purpose is to take notes with a pencil?