iPAD vs other tablets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudek1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody use an iPAD or a different tablet in the hospital for rounding?

I'm trying to decide which one to get. Any suggestion are welcome.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody use an iPAD or a different tablet in the hospital for rounding?

I'm trying to decide which one to get. Any suggestion are welcome.

Thanks

get an iPod Touch. You really don't need to round with a huge iPad. That is ridiculous.

I suggest you get an iPad 2 or wait for the next version of iPad (iPad 3). Compared to the iPad, the other tablets are way behind, except for usp port and flash player.

This may help you decide...
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-blackberry-playbook/
post_icon_comment_tail.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
at my PGY-1 I had a tablet laptop - like with the reversible screen. It was a Fujitsu I think and I loved it.

I got an HP Touchpad. Its probably useless for actual business crap...but I do like being able to stream TV to myself anywhere from home with my techno knowhow...HP encourages people to hack into it. I already got it overclocked to 1.7ghz dual...stable. WebOS till I die!

...or it does...poor WebOS...

EmbassyII.jpg

Thank God I didn't buy one. It's really a shame as web-os is way better than IOS.....

I got it for $350...I'm not complaining. Its a great value. With the vibrant home brew community, she shall live on for a few years. With the news,the thing will be had at an amazing bargain.

I'm hoping that google buys the rights to webos or HP open sources it. Such a beautiful OS needs to live on. I've tried ios and droidos...its like caveman tech compared to webos...I guess its on to the Samsung nexus that's coming out in october..pffft...this stupid ice cream sandwich had better be good.

Last edited:
Sorry. I'm too lazy to read this ****, but it looks like someone bought a coffin and I didn't...

:mad:

WOW~

HP dropped the price to $99!

I'm buying another one! I don't care if its being discontinued...$99 for a dual-core wifi tablet with native Flash support and with Beats Audio...that's a freaking steal!

If nothing else, it will probably have a port for Android in the future...crazy cheap!

Even better, called HP this morning and they price matched! I'm getting like $270 credited to me!

fff Ipad... just use your smartphone droid/iphone is more than enough for information... ipad is glorified gimp tablet/laptop.

If you want to work, use your laptop, it's far more productive and cost effective.

fff Ipad... just use your smartphone droid/iphone is more than enough for information... ipad is glorified gimp tablet/laptop.

If you want to work, use your laptop, it's far more productive and cost effective.
I second this. I know all kinds of people that love them, but I just can't see the practicality. It reminds me of:

boat-car-car-boat-girl-lol-vintage-Favimcom-62470_large.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW~

HP dropped the price to $99!

I'm buying another one! I don't care if its being discontinued...$99 for a dual-core wifi tablet with native Flash support and with Beats Audio...that's a freaking steal!

If nothing else, it will probably have a port for Android in the future...crazy cheap!

Even better, called HP this morning and they price matched! I'm getting like $270 credited to me!

Looks like they're already sold out everywhere :(

It does kind of make you wonder though... what if this is all some kind of stunt to increase market share? Get your product out there cheaply, expose people to your (by many accounts pretty decent) OS, and gain lots of free advertising in the process. Sounds like a good way to jumpstart a struggling product line to me.

Looks like they're already sold out everywhere :(

It does kind of make you wonder though... what if this is all some kind of stunt to increase market share? Get your product out there cheaply, expose people to your (by many accounts pretty decent) OS, and gain lots of free advertising in the process. Sounds like a good way to jumpstart a struggling product line to me.
Here you go! $149 for the 32GB. Get it fast...! They put it up this morning and their server is getting slammed.

Here you go! $149 for the 32GB. Get it fast...! They put it up this morning and their server is getting slammed.

It's gone dude. Ordered a 16 Gig early this morning, hope that comes through. For $100 it would be crazy not to pick one up and mod the hell out of it. :smuggrin:

Supposedly the new ipad is coming out soon so don't spend your money just yet!

Well **** me. I hope I still have time to return the Asus and get the HP.

apparently, some group has started to port gingerbread os to it. And its already overclocked to a stable 1.7 GHz dual...

...that's like a $600 droid tab, easy. Just a bit of bios flashing and such.

or just use webOS because its awesome.

Watch slickdeals.net. Currently Barnes & Noble has it in stock for $107.44

So I broke down and got an Android phone. It's called (and I'm not making this up) the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. I guess brevity is out of style. Names are arbitrary enough...who cares...but this is ridiculous. The Samsung Tire or Samsung Duvet would have been a better name. Of course, these are the people who call their operating systems stupid names like "Gingerbread" and "Ice Cream Sandwich," so what should I expect?

It's nice looking...fast...beautiful screen. Lots of Apps. Which will probably become useless in time as phones get better at actually using the internet and being standalone machines that don't need specialized "Apps" to be crutches for them.

But I just want to know how in God's name people use this piece of **** operating system? It's horrific. I actually have to download and open a program in order to close another program? Multitasking may as well involve an act of congress to accomplish.

I always thought that, through my limited use of Android via quickly utilizing other peoples phones for this and that, WebOS was more intuitive...

...but after extensive use...Jesus H Christ...how the hell is this considered a finished product? WebOS is so superior to Android that it makes me want to vomit thinking that I'm stuck with this abortion of an operating system for two years. How did Apple's equally ****ty OS and this crap beat out WebOS? It boggles my mind. Boggles!

people who call their operating systems stupid names like "Gingerbread" and "Ice Cream Sandwich," so what should I expect?
Are you saying you're not excited about Oneiric Ocelot?

What is the purpose of using iPad while working in a hospital?? Doing searches in a drug reference software or playing games, surfing the internet,..etc?

What is the purpose of using iPad while working in a hospital?? Doing searches in a drug reference software or playing games, surfing the internet,..etc?

This is my guess, take it on rounds to look stuff up or scratch a few notes. Right now I dont know of any cpoe that runs on iPad, but it probably will happen, so putting in orders on the go without the cow might be possible.

So I broke down and got an Android phone. It's called (and I'm not making this up) the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. I guess brevity is out of style. Names are arbitrary enough...who cares...but this is ridiculous. The Samsung Tire or Samsung Duvet would have been a better name. Of course, these are the people who call their operating systems stupid names like "Gingerbread" and "Ice Cream Sandwich," so what should I expect?

It's nice looking...fast...beautiful screen. Lots of Apps. Which will probably become useless in time as phones get better at actually using the internet and being standalone machines that don't need specialized "Apps" to be crutches for them.

But I just want to know how in God's name people use this piece of **** operating system? It's horrific. I actually have to download and open a program in order to close another program? Multitasking may as well involve an act of congress to accomplish.

I always thought that, through my limited use of Android via quickly utilizing other peoples phones for this and that, WebOS was more intuitive...

...but after extensive use...Jesus H Christ...how the hell is this considered a finished product? WebOS is so superior to Android that it makes me want to vomit thinking that I'm stuck with this abortion of an operating system for two years. How did Apple's equally ****ty OS and this crap beat out WebOS? It boggles my mind. Boggles!

Mikey, calm down. It does multi task, just jot as well as Web-OS or as elegantly. All those apps are running, you just need to re-open them. I broke down and got the Motorola Atrix. It's not Web-OS, but it's pretty cool. And by the way, the battery life kills the Palm.

I bought a touchpad for myself and another for Mrs. B since they were only $99. Overall, I have no real regrets. I can read my notes anywhere without having to kill a tree for each exam's material.

The one thing that blows my mind is the touchpad's incompatibility with enterprise wireless. HP tried saying it was my school's fault, but the problem is pretty well known and discussed across the interwebs. If Android and apple devices of all sorts can connect, and the hp product can't... :shrug:

Mikey, calm down. It does multi task, just jot as well as Web-OS or as elegantly. All those apps are running, you just need to re-open them. I broke down and got the Motorola Atrix. It's not Web-OS, but it's pretty cool. And by the way, the battery life kills the Palm.

It doesn't multitask at all. It freezes one program as you open another. How is this multitasking? And, yes, battery life is way better. But I'd still rather have WebOS on this hardware.

The current slate tablets are great devices for consuming information. They are terrible for producing anything.

In pharmacy school, I had a laptop / tablet with a wacom digitizer. These were great for note taking in word. I would type everything out, but study by highlighting and scribbling in the margins. Med chem was also a great use for a laptop with tablet functions. You could also add notes to power point presentations.

I'll say again... the current slate tablets are toys. Fun, but don't expect to be productive with them.