IPads in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewEngland123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for current students:

I’ve heard from some dental students that iPads are really useful for taking notes in class. I’ve considered getting one for dental school, but I’ve always been someone that prefers taking handwritten notes rather than typing notes on a laptop. What are your thoughts? Are iPads that much more helpful? What’s so good about having one? Is it worth the money?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I always have my MacBook on me so ive Never had the need for an iPad. Its just another thing to lug around and have to charge.

If you like taking handwritten notes, then the iPad could be for you and you can get a nice student discount with beats. There are some really sweet apps on the iPad that let you turn your writing into text, then you can use control + F to find a certain keyword which is helpful when you need to look back on something.

Personally, i just have the powerpoint up and type my notes into the presenters' notes of the PPT. I also like to have all my info/documents in one place. I didnt want to have any issues between looking at the powerpoint i worked on either from my computer or an iPad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students:

I’ve heard from some dental students that iPads are really useful for taking notes in class. I’ve considered getting one for dental school, but I’ve always been someone that prefers taking handwritten notes rather than typing notes on a laptop. What are your thoughts? Are iPads that much more helpful? What’s so good about having one? Is it worth the money?

My school required one, so I got one. I ended up using Notability on it for almost every lecture. Allows you to record audio with a PowerPoint (or any type of handout) and also write notes on the slides. Gave me the hand written note feel with the convenience of it being backed up to Google drive so I could then pull the notes up on my laptop or phone, re-listen to any part of the lecture (even at like 2x speed bc we all know some instructors talk at a snail's pace), print the powerpoints after the fact with your notes already on them, and to still be able to hand write notes on the powerpoints (super easy if you get a good stylus)

I use my iPad far more than my laptop. iPad+Apple Pencil+Notability is pretty much all you need for notes. I've used OneNote too but Notability is better. You can write notes by hand and get them synced with the recorded lecture. It's pretty sweet.

Reactions: 2 users
I use my iPad far more than my laptop. iPad+Apple Pencil+Notability is pretty much all you need for notes. I've used OneNote too but Notability is better. You can write notes by hand and get them synced with the recorded lecture. It's pretty sweet.
So glad I got one. Excited to put it to use.

Reactions: 1 user