iphone for 1st and 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I dropped my phone in the toilet yesterday..and I need to get a new one.

I was wondering if I should get an iphone or wait until the 3rd year when they will most likely have better versions.

Do any current iphone users find any use during 1st and 2nd year?
I'm starting 1st year btw.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 3GS in June, but I didn't get it specifically for med school. It's mostly useful in a whole host of other ways that generally aren't terribly medical at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would wait till sept - either you could get something that is an improvement over your old one, or you can get one that is just like your old one, but the price will be significantly lower.

I honestly don't know what you will need during your first and second years, but I have grabbed a couple of medical apps when I happened to come across them. Epocrates is a good one I think, though I haven't paid a subscription to get all of the features. http://www.epocrates.com/products/essentials/iphone.html

There are also dosing calculators (I think the one I downloaded is called medi-math) and Epyonyms looks promising. I'm sure there are more, but those are what I happened to come across while browsing through free apps.

iPhone offers no MEDICAL benefits during first and second year. It's especially amazing for 3rd year tho. However, it does have a lot of other kick-ass features in general...namely phone+ipod capability and tons of other cool apps, maps, email, internet, organizer, aim, great camera, etc. It's basically not necessary, but helpful in many little ways that are hard to describe. I find myself using it very often during the day for many little things. Cool toy.

I'd wait until the price comes down on the 3Gs. I'm a big apple fan, but if you jump right away you're going to end up paying more. Just my $0.02.

Also, Epocrates is fun to play with (I've got an iPod Touch). But I haven't had occasion to actually use it yet, and don't see that time coming in the near future.

From a medical/med school standpoint I just don't see much benefit of one during the first 2 years, unless you just want one for general use (social networking apps, audio/video, games, etc....

Nothing wrong with wanting it for the entertainment aspect, but definitely not a necessity right now.

I got the 3GS when it came out since I was just starting rotations and I use it all the time while in clinic/hospital, so I would wait because by then something new will be out. My first 2 years I just used my old LG flip phone.

Hi

I dropped my phone in the toilet yesterday..and I need to get a new one.

I was wondering if I should get an iphone or wait until the 3rd year when they will most likely have better versions.

Do any current iphone users find any use during 1st and 2nd year?
I'm starting 1st year btw.

thanks

The iPhone has some nice flash card apps.

When it comes to apple products there will ALWAYS be a new product out in at most a year and a half, or some huge price drop. My suggestion is if there are rumors of something new coming out, wait a little bit, chances are they are true. At this point, you'd be safe in getting an IphoneS.

i've had an iphone 3g for just over a year now and am completely satisfied with it. i'm not in medical school so i cannot speak to the advantages of having one as an m1/m2. i can say that its different features (ical, timer, email, full browser, gps, contacts, notes, epocrates) have definitely kept me as organized as possible and therefore helped me be more efficient. i also tape & listen to lectures on it and use various reference/review apps.

:thumbup::thumbup:

i think it's safe to just get the iphone now if you want it. they just released 3gs, so it will probably be a year before they release a new model that is significantly advanced.
the software updates are great, so i'm content with my 3g despite not having video-recording/apple zoom functions (available with 3rd party apps).

I don't think you have to be in Medical School to find benefits from an iphone, or any smart phone for that matter. If your cell phone is broken, and there won't be any new major updates for about a year, why not, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people advice to wait until september? what's in september?

Not real sure, nothing as far as the iPhone is concerned. It's possible a new iPod touch and/or some sort of apple tablet may be announced but definitely not anything to do with a phone.

Only thing I could think of is if some of the newer google android phones start coming out.

I bought the HTC Touch Diamond and I've pretty much become attached to it. It has my schedule, planner, acts as my music player, my alarm clock, etc.

I was thinking about upgrading to the HTC Dimaond 2, but I think I'm gonna wait for 6 months or so and buy the new phones coming out with the SnapDragon processor (1 ghz). HTC Firestone hopefully will sport the SnapDragon processor.

I have to say, I just got the iPhone 3gs and fell in love the first day. I kinda felt guilty at first but then I started using the thing...Although I'm not in med school, I can tell u that this phone will make your lfe alot easier... Email and web browsing in your pocket, as well as tons of great apps designed for the phone... In fact I'm stuck at some boring family function right now and using my iPhone to type this message.:laugh:

I have to say, I just got the iPhone 3gs and fell in love the first day. I kinda felt guilty at first but then I started using the thing...Although I'm not in med school, I can tell u that this phone will make your lfe alot easier... Email and web browsing in your pocket, as well as tons of great apps designed for the phone... In fact I'm stuck at some boring family function right now and using my iPhone to type this message.:laugh:

And your wallet a lot lighter right?
How much do ya'll pay for data packages..?

I don't have the iPhone (My phone is through Verizon damnit) but I have an iPod touch - same thing, just no phone attached, and no camera.

And your wallet a lot lighter right?
How much do ya'll pay for data packages..?

actually we have the family plan... And it's 30 dollars a month.. I think it's well worth it.. Very convenient service or that amount

I bought one a month ago for epocrates etc since I was starting MS3 but I can say the organizational tools would have made MS1 and MS2 easier. I used a palm Tx for the first two years but this has more usability in my opinion. I love having my email, calender, contacts, todo list and financial tracking all in my pocket. It helps me remember to pay bills on time, keep to my budget, respond to emails in a timely manner etc.

I don't have the iPhone (My phone is through Verizon damnit) but I have an iPod touch - same thing, just no phone attached, and no camera.

Me too. Any program that you can download for the iPhone will work on the iPod touch. My school has wireless in all associated facilities, so having mobile internet through a cell provider is redundant and a waste of money, IMO. I'm too cheap to change providers and commit to a pricey AT&T plan.

Also, my school gives out free licenses for ePocrates Essentials, and I used it quite a bit over the summer at my preceptorship.

The iphone doesn't have a family plan does it? I'll get an iphone when they go to Verizon.

A decent "smart" phone will help with organization if you are into that type of thing

lulcat

On Topic: Get the 3GS now so you're familiar with it, then by 3rd year upgrade and you'll have a more awesome iPhone.

P.S. buy accidental insurance incase you drop your future phones in the toilet.

They really help during boring lectures. Other than that you can easily get by without one and you might even do a bit better in school because of it.

just fyi, no insurance for the iphone.