IPOD TOUCH for fourth year rotations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetseyJohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying an ipod touch for my fourth year rotations but can't decide which size to get. Right now, I'm leaning toward the 16 GB. What do you think? The other sizes are 8gb/32 gb, btw.

Go big or go home....

Members don't see this ad :)
16gb is about right, but if you have way too many music, and need to listen to 100000000+ ones on your ipod then get the 32gb.

go for an iphone so you won't be bothered carrying 2 devices.

might as well just wait and buy one in in september. New model coming out first week of september

thanks, I'm actually considering buying the macbook pro 13.3, as well, because my computer is 5 years old & has been having problems all year. thus, i can get a "free" 8 gb ipod touch (w/ rebate) or spend extra $70 for 16gb, or extra $170 for 32gb. My parents currently pay for my cell phone bill under the family plan, so I basically get whatever phone they agree to pay for, which happens to be a blackberry curve without internet (which would cost $30 extra/month). Am I correct in thinking the ipod touch does not require a monthly internet use fee, as long as there are wireless internet signals in the area?

oh, and i just wanted to add that I have to buy the macbook (with free ipod touch) by september to obtain the deal, so no waiting for me. lol.

thanks, I'm actually considering buying the macbook pro 13.3, as well, because my computer is 5 years old & has been having problems all year. thus, i can get a "free" 8 gb ipod touch (w/ rebate) or spend extra $70 for 16gb, or extra $170 for 32gb. My parents currently pay for my cell phone bill under the family plan, so I basically get whatever phone they agree to pay for, which happens to be a blackberry curve without internet (which would cost $30 extra/month). Am I correct in thinking the ipod touch does not require a monthly internet use fee, as long as there are wireless internet signals in the area?

oh, and i just wanted to add that I have to buy the macbook (with free ipod touch) by september to obtain the deal, so no waiting for me. lol.

Yes, unlike the purchase of an iphone, the ipod touch does not require monthly phone nor internet charges. As long as you know the password to the wifi connection around you, you can access the internet with your ipod touch. (example: at school, at home, or at starbucks, etc).

If you don't plan on putting tons of music or Apps on the ipod touch, you should be okay with the 8gb ipod touch.

Get the 32GB one. That's the one I have. After you get it, find a geek to jail break it for you, then you can download Lexi Comp for free.

It's my understanding that as long as you want to continue to download updates and/or Apps/programs on the iphone for free, one would have to keep jail breaking the iphone every time new iphone updates come out. correct??

It's my understanding that as long as you want to continue to download updates and/or Apps/programs on the iphone for free, one would have to keep jail breaking the iphone every time new iphone updates come out. correct??

with major software updates, such as v2.0 to v3.0.

I bought the MBP 13.3 and the 16gb touch about a month ago. Just got my rebate money in the mail today in fact. Love them both a lot! The size you need depends on how much you plan on putting on it. I looked at the size of my iTunes library and decided 16gb would just be enough. The apps don't take up a lot of space so you can put a lot of them on there. I don't think LexiComp is too large either.

I'm thinking of buying an ipod touch for my fourth year rotations but can't decide which size to get. Right now, I'm leaning toward the 16 GB. What do you think? The other sizes are 8gb/32 gb, btw.

LexiComp FTW - There is no other handheld reference that is better - period. MicroMedex comes in a close second - but the full on Lexi cannot be beat. Pair up LexiDrugs, Harrison's Practice, AHFS essentials, and ID and you are SET as far as being an intern is concerned.

I am really wanting to splurge and get a 3GS... Just waiting for the presence of refurbs to jump.

I'm going to UF in the fall and we are required to buy either the iphone or the ipod touch. I currently have a plan with verizon that my mom pays for since it is a family plan. I love the plan I'm on now and would definitely not look forward to a $100/month cell phone bill. I'm not sure what the difference of functionality for the devices would be in regards to pharmacy school since I'm not exactly sure what I need it for anyway. I'm definitely not any kind of tech savvy so I don't know which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the 8gig ipod touch and it works well enough for me. plenty of space for any apps i want, and although i have 35ish gigs of music on my computer, I was able to pick and choose my favorites and still have a few gigs free. the touch is great for keeping my schedule/appointment reminders/homework reminders/drug info, etc. I love it

If you want more music on it then bigger would probably be better, but for a collection of things to listen to in the library, 8 gigs is more than enough for me

All PDI students get a PDA at Minnesota. They are switching from Palm T/X to iPod touch this fall. I'm very curious what size we are getting as well. A 32 GB would be great, but I don't want to be greedy.

I got the 8GB and am very happy with it. However, I was not necessarily trying to load a lot of music or pictures on it - my main motivation was to use on rotation, and I have a separate mp3 player. On the other hand, I have a good friend who has the 32GB, and he got that because he wanted to be able to scan in and save a lot of documents and flow charts, etc. from class notes and other references.

As the other poster pointed out, the apps and Lexi don't take up a lot of room at all, so I would suggest that you decide based on what else you think you will be doing with it besides the drug stuff.

My gf got me an iPod Touch 2g (32gb) for our anniversary this past year. I love it! Even for more the size was big (~30gb of actual space). Fit about 20 gigs worth of songs on...shuffle mode on and no song has repeated unless I want it to since then. I wouldn't reccomend the 32gb unless you've got a huge music database. 8gb, while it is cheapest I don't think it will leave you with much flexibility if you want to add more stuff to your iPod...so I'd reccomend getting the 16gb. Apps themselves are small, but there are some larger ones that can go up to 100-200mbs. Having a lot of apps add up (tho most of them are small...about 2-5mb). I also use my iPod for storing PPT notes from lectures to study whenever i'm on the go...a semesters worth of notes (depending on pictures and quality) could take anywhere between 100mb and 2gbs for one class. If you have good access to wifi I would defintely reccomend buying the iPod touch for ease of access. As for the macbook pro, I mean its defintely a good lightweight system, but if you're not really a power user you might want to look into some of the smaller notbooks out there...they're not as thin or fancy but they're a lot cheaper...they'll do basic things like documents, videos, music, webbrowsing...not much on gaming or graphic design tho

Do you know if there are any apps that would be useful to a first year? Like flashcards or something? I got an 8GB when I bought my computer and am deciding if I want to sell it or not.

Do you know if there are any apps that would be useful to a first year? Like flashcards or something? I got an 8GB when I bought my computer and am deciding if I want to sell it or not.

use iflash for osx or itouch. it is an excellent program

I'm not very tech savvy- what does the program do exactly?

Last edited:
I'm not very tech savvy- what does the program do exactly?

http://www.loopware.com/iflash/

think of it kind of like powerpoint, you can make electronic flashcards on the computer (if you use OSX, im not sure if its PC compatible) but you can transfer the electronic "notecards" onto your ipod touch. So if you're studying, instead of making/carrying a bunch of clumsy paper notecards, all u need is an ipod touch.

iFlipr has the ability to download flashcards that other people have already made. There are a bunch of top 200 sets out there - plus disease states and Anatomy/phys as well.

iFlipr has the ability to download flashcards that other people have already made. There are a bunch of top 200 sets out there - plus disease states and Anatomy/phys as well.
+1 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I just found this app during the summer and really wish I had it during the school year. It works smooth, great features and the download feature is great!

... something weird happened lol

Last edited:
mod please delete

Last edited:
Get the 32GB one. That's the one I have. After you get it, find a geek to jail break it for you, then you can download Lexi Comp for free.

+1 for jailbreaking iphone

Haha... you don't need a geek to jailbreak... oh wait maybe i am one :smuggrin:

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

make it ra1n with purplera1n program.

Easy as pie.. just click a button and you are done.

And get those iBEC and iBSS before you do jailbreak so you can forever jailbreak.

Get the backgrounder program (allows for multitasking) when you jailbreak and look around for some themes... as well as five icon dock, ringtones, and tons of other programs that makes iphone so much better.

+1 for jailbreaking iphone

Haha... you don't need a geek to jailbreak... oh wait maybe i am one :smuggrin:

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

make it ra1n with purplera1n program.

Easy as pie.. just click a button and you are done.

And get those iBEC and iBSS before you do jailbreak so you can forever jailbreak.

Get the backgrounder program (allows for multitasking) when you jailbreak and look around for some themes... as well as five icon dock, ringtones, and tons of other programs that makes iphone so much better.

purplera1n (is that how you spell it?) is inferior to the iPhone Dev Team unlock.

I am not sure if hacktivating is still an issue - but it is something to consider if you will not be activating it via ATT...

purplera1n (is that how you spell it?) is inferior to the iPhone Dev Team unlock.

I am not sure if hacktivating is still an issue - but it is something to consider if you will not be activating it via ATT...

think it was just in regards to the iTouch...purplerain does everything you need for it...took like 2 minutes to jailbreak with it (including restarting iTouch)

Please explain why I would want to use Jailbreak if I got an I-touch.

My school pays (actually, out of our tuition, but whatever) for Lexi-comp if we want it for pda's (including i-touch).

What is the advantage?

Please explain why I would want to use Jailbreak if I got an I-touch.

My school pays (actually, out of our tuition, but whatever) for Lexi-comp if we want it for pda's (including i-touch).

What is the advantage?

Well, if your school is paying for it, then no need to jailbreak it for Lexi Comp. Basically, jailbreaking it means that you can download apps for free, that normally other people would pay for. I didn't pay for Lexi Comp but I have the complete thing on my iPod touch now.

But you could still jailbreak it and get free Apps and games.

Well, if your school is paying for it, then no need to jailbreak it for Lexi Comp. Basically, jailbreaking it means that you can download apps for free, that normally other people would pay for. I didn't pay for Lexi Comp but I have the complete thing on my iPod touch now.

But you could still jailbreak it and get free Apps and games.

And if you have an iPhone, you have to jailbreak the iPhone before you unlock it to use the iPhone through cellphone providers other than AT&T.

Can you still use the app store if you jailbreak your iphone/touch?

Get the ipod touch its well worth it, i got 8g ipod touch with tons of apps on it including lexi complete...its well worth the money... if money is an issue for ya then go with the 8g but if money is no concern then bigger is better hahahah...

and yes you can sync your jailbroken ipod with the itunes...(this is what i heard from my friends who got their touch jailbroken)

I have a 16 gb ipod touch 2nd generation. Is it possible to jail break the 2nd generation touch?

I'm clueless on jail breaking the ipod touch... If I get a friend to jail break it for me, I can download lexi-comp from their site to my ipod touch and it would be free instantly? Does jail breaking "over ride" the registration to get access to lexi-comp on your ipod touch? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to UF in the fall and we are required to buy either the iphone or the ipod touch. I currently have a plan with verizon that my mom pays for since it is a family plan. I love the plan I'm on now and would definitely not look forward to a $100/month cell phone bill. I'm not sure what the difference of functionality for the devices would be in regards to pharmacy school since I'm not exactly sure what I need it for anyway. I'm definitely not any kind of tech savvy so I don't know which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

I'm going to be a 3PD at UF. We didn't need an iphone or itouch for the first two years. Iphone/itouch could be helpful during second year but definitely not for the first. If possible I would delay getting it if I were you. 100$ a month is a lot when you are a full time student. Hope it helps.

LexiComp FTW - There is no other handheld reference that is better - period. MicroMedex comes in a close second - but the full on Lexi cannot be beat. Pair up LexiDrugs, Harrison's Practice, AHFS essentials, and ID and you are SET as far as being an intern is concerned.

I am really wanting to splurge and get a 3GS... Just waiting for the presence of refurbs to jump.

aboveliquidice, i saw that you mention ID as one of the things you have in your phone. Do you have an application just for ID or you go to the ID society website for on-the-spot information? Thank you.

We P3's at Creighton just got the 8GB one. First class to switch from PDA's to iTouch. Works well so far - we have Epocrates and LexiComp on it so far - but we just started classes today.

And if you have an iPhone, you have to jailbreak the iPhone before you unlock it to use the iPhone through cellphone providers other than AT&T.

Only AT&T, Cingulair, and T-Mobile will work on a jailbroken iPhone (unless you have a European SIM card). I had an iPod Touch, but decided that a first generation iPhone made more sense. It's only a tad bit slower than the Touch (not even noticeable with Lexi-comp) and you don't have to carry both your phone and the Touch around on rotations. The first generation iphones have the exact specs as the new 3g iphones without the bigger bill (same camera, RAM, capacity, etc). So, if you have either of those mobile carriers I would get an iphone as they are about the same cost or less as the Touch.

For as many apps, games, music, etc as I have (Lexi-comp and all the skyscape apps) I would recommend at least a 16gb. But, if you just want it for rotations 8gb would do fine.

P.S. You don't have to pay for a data plan with a jailbroken iPhone! (uses wifi instead)

Last edited:
Only AT&T, Cingulair, and T-Mobile will work on a jailbroken iPhone (unless you have a European SIM card). I had an iPod Touch, but decided that a first generation iPhone made more sense. It's only a tad bit slower than the Touch (not even noticeable with Lexi-comp) and you don't have to carry both your phone and the Touch around on rotations. The first generation iphones have the exact specs as the new 3g iphones without the bigger bill (same camera, RAM, capacity, etc). So, if you have either of those mobile carriers I would get an iphone as they are about the same cost or less as the Touch.

For as many apps, games, music, etc as I have (Lexi-comp and all the skyscape apps) I would recommend at least a 16gb. But, if you just want it for rotations 8gb would do fine.

P.S. You don't have to pay for a data plan with a jailbroken iPhone! (uses wifi instead)

Great Info!

To expand on the above: the iphone for T-mobile runs only on what is called the "edge" internet service. This means you cannot use the faster 3G internet with an iPhone for T-mobile.

I thought internet on the edge runs really slowly, but it's still better than nothing. Personally, I wouldn't pay an extra $25 to $30 for a phone internet service that is slower than the 3G. In my opinion, it's just not worth it. As stated above: just "use the wifi instead."

Last edited:

iFlipr is alright. I prefer Anki though. It is SO efficient. iFlipr is all or nothing where you mark the answer as either wrong or right. Anki has four options where you can mark it "again", "hard", "good, or "easy". The program is based on spaced repetition learning theory. You know how you make paper flashcards and then go over them over and over again? Well, that's a waste of time because you're reviewing the cards you know too often and the ones you don't know too late. But in Anki, if you mark "hard", it'll show the card sooner. If you mark it "easy" it'll show the card much later. Very efficient. If you wanna learn more about spaced repetition, click on the following jump. I love you Anki.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-05/ff_wozniak?currentPage=all

Also, Anki allows you to type in your answer. For me, I made cards to practice typing brand and generic. I also have the dose on each side. It's almost exactly like taking those damned quizzes in skills lab. I'll try to upload the deck later.

Also, Anki can be run on your desktop, through your web browser, on your phone, or IPOD touch. It syncs itself so if you study online and then use the touch, you'll start where you left off. I love you Anki.

Oh yea, anki is FREE!!!!!!

I know this sounds like a commerical for Anki, but that's because I really love it. I discovered this fine piece of ass . . . I mean software this past summer. My only regret is not finding it 2 years ago when I started rx school. This semester, I'm gonna start an experiment by putting in Anki ALL my notes and just studying that way.

I really suggest you all try Anki, you have nothing to lose. I love you Anki!

haha, I downloaded Anki, thinking it was for the ipod touch/iphone. It's just a computer program.

I'll still use it though. Thanks

You still can use it on your Touch/iPhone. There are actually 3 ways you can do this. The first way is to use Safari to get to the Anki online site (http://anki.ichi2.net/account/login). The only problem with this is that the words are tiny on the screen.

The second way is to use iAnki. The instructions are here. http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/iAnki IMO, I don't think this is the best way. It's sluggish and the syncing process takes some time.

The third way is to jailbreak your Touch/iPhone and install the AnkiMini. It's an app that functions better than iAnki.

So I recommend methods one and two. Good luck.

You still can use it on your Touch/iPhone. There are actually 3 ways you can do this. The first way is to use Safari to get to the Anki online site (http://anki.ichi2.net/account/login). The only problem with this is that the words are tiny on the screen.

The second way is to use iAnki. The instructions are here. http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/iAnki IMO, I don't think this is the best way. It's sluggish and the syncing process takes some time.

The third way is to jailbreak your Touch/iPhone and install the AnkiMini. It's an app that functions better than iAnki.

So I recommend methods one and two. Good luck.

Well, I don't have a iPhone so I rarely can use Safari.

And it looks like the 3rd way is the best. I'll try that. Thanks

I also downloaded iFlipr and wondering which flashcards are the best to download. (there's ALOT of them out there to choose)

where are these cards? can't it be used on blackberry?

I would personally get a 64 gig but I have so much music/ so many movies on my ipod. I think ipod touches are a tad expensive right now though so ill probly wait a year or two until the price goes down.