IQ v. MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbingReality

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just to fulfill my own interest, but I was wondering about individuals IQ levels compared to their MCAT scores.

Please list your IQ (only if you know it for sure), and your MCAT score (average if taken more than once).
:wow:

Members don't see this ad.

I have tried to be diplomatic about this whole 170/22 discussion, but it seems like lloydchristmas doesn't want to be called out after making outlandish claims and not being able to explain the inconsistencies in the data he provides. The simple truth of the matter is that an IQ of 170 is very high and barring extraordinary events that militate against success, a person with that high of an IQ should NEVER score a 22 on the MCAT, unless he/she has never heard of what an atom is.

A person with that IQ should be able to score a 12 on the verbal with no review. That would mean that you would have to average a 5 on the sciences to get a 22. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Due to the passage based nature of the MCAT, a person with an IQ of 150 (let alone 170) who has taken the premed requirements in the past 5 years should be able to effectively guess his way to 9's on the sciences and easily get a 10+ on the verbal with NO REVIEW.

The defensive posture by lloydchristmas is a subterfuge to circumvent the fact that his spurious claims are being held under the lucid light of meticulous scrutiny.

lloydchristmas said:
Okay, now you're getting nasty with me. I don't care what you said or what you thought I thought you thought I thought you thought I thought. I am done posting here. You just blew your chance to learn from me. I go.

This statement is laughable. If you think your pedestrian attempts at logical discourse is an opportunity for us to learn from you, then your vainglory is bordering on delusional psychosis. Your tortuous explanations for your ACT score are hardly intelligible let alone enlightening. I DARE YOU to respond to my post with LOGICAL counter-points to the arguments I make. I don't know which IQ tests you have been taking, but illating from your posts, I can confidently say that these tests were neither written nor supervised by a trained psychometrician.

There is NO WAY you have an IQ of 170. The burden of proof is on you. If you do not which to go through the laborious process of substantiating your claim, I respect your decision. But don't expect us to swallow your dubious claims without a grain of salt.

Guys, MCAT scores are probably very weakly correlated to IQ. I think effort is much more important than pure intellectual power. My IQ isn't great, but it's certainly 130+ and I had a 1560 on the SAT I. However, on the first practice MCAT I took (even after doing well in the necessary prereqs at a fairly impressive undergraduate institution), I don't think I got more than a 15. In fact, I didn't start hitting double digit verbal scores until I had taken at least 4 or 5 tests. The timing in that section is very particular, and it takes a few times to learn when you're spending too little or too much time on a passage. Again, I'm simply saying that it took ME a little while to reach my potential.

IQ relates to problem-solving, NOT pure memorizing power. Since I didn't bother studying as much as I probably should have for the sciences, I didn't even get a 30 on the MCAT after a little over a month of preparing. I'm certain that there are quite a few people that performed at a higher level than me simply because they studied a lot more and memorized much more than I did. They deserved it and I am not complaining, but it's not as if I find someone with an MCAT of 35+ to be intellectually intimidating. I did well in the verbal and writing sections that did not require a significant amount of advanced knowledge, but no IQ can help you if you don't know a needed physics formula or the reaction yield in an orgo problem.

I agree that a score of 170 is probably a little distorted and better IQ tests that distinguish among the top 10% would probably yield a lower score for the discussed poster. However, there's no need to doubt that someone with a very high iq could get a relatively low score on the MCAT, especially on a first or second try. I am not defending anyone, just stating that it's possible for someone like Newton, Einstein, or Hawkins to get a poor MCAT score without preparation.

Ramsestiger,
I honestly believe that you do not understand the IQ scale or the MCAT. I am not saying this to be pejorative. The MAIN reason why the AAMC shifted from the straight-question paradigm to the passage based format was to emphasize reasoning over perfunctory information recall. If you noticed, most of the formulas needed on the physical science section are provided in the passages.

If you understand the basic concepts of introductory chemistry and physics, you hardly need to memorize many formulas to score a 10+ on the physical science section. In fact scoring a 10 on all sections of the MCAT would be TOO EASY for a person with an IQ of 170 who has taken the premed requirements. Do you know what an IQ of 170 means? Your IQ of 130+ should place you anywhere between 1 out of 50-100; on the other hand, an IQ of 170 places an individual in 1 out of a 100,000! Your inability to score very high on the MCAT in spite of your outstanding SAT scores and good grades says nothing of how correlated IQ is to the MCAT. Rather, it suggests that you are a very intelligent person (an IQ of 130+ places you in the top 2% of the general population) who studied hard in school to do dwell on the SATs and in in-class exams.

A person with an IQ of 170 is in the top .0001%. Do you realize how AMAZING that is? There are only 3,000 people with this IQ or higher in a country (the United States) of 300,000,000 people. A person with this IQ is about 30 times smarter than the average science NOBEL PRIZE WINNER (IQ of 155)!!! Einstein's and Hawkings' IQ are probably not this high. People with this IQ who apply themselves often create entirely new academic disciplines or greatly advance their field of study.

Just like the SAT 1, the MCAT is partly knowledge-based (for the science sections) and thus does not perfectly correlate with IQ. In fact no aptitude tests correlate perfectly with IQ scores, but they do correlate significantly, so that assuming equal amounts of study, higher IQ kids will out-perform their colleagues. Given that the MCAT taking population has an average IQ of 120-125 and that the test is standardized on this population, a person with an IQ of 130-140 is not so far above the mean IQ of the test-takers that he would be expected to walk into the MCAT and ace it with little effort.

A person with an IQ of 170 however, is capable of scoring a 40+ with little effort if he has recently taken the premed requirements and perhaps spent a week reviewing just to get used to the test format. If you have an IQ of 150+ I would suggest you join high IQ societies like Triple Nine, Cerebrals and Glia so that, through intellectual discourse with them, you can have an idea of how gifted people with such IQs think. My experiences in these high IQ societies has humbled me and given me perspective when it comes to talking about intelligence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gbemi24
I have tried to be diplomatic about this whole 170/22 discussion but it seems like lloydchristmas doesn't want to be called out after making outlandish claims and not being able to explain the inconsistences in the data he provides. The simple truth of the matter is that an IQ of 170 is VERY HIGH and barring EXTRAORDINARY events that militate against success, a person with that high of an IQ should NEVER score a 22 on the MCAT, unless he/she has never heard of what an atom is. A person with that IQ should be able to score a 12 on the verbal with NO REVIEW. That would mean that you would have to average a 5 on the sciences to get a 22. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Due to the passage based nature of the MCAT, a person with an IQ of 150 (let alone 170) who has taken the premed requirements in the past 5 years should be able to effectively guess his way to 9's on the sciences and easily get a 10+ on the verbal with NO REVIEW.
The defensive posture by lloydchristmas is a subterfuge to circumvent the fact that his spurious claims are being held under the lucid light of meticulous scrutiny.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by lloydchristmas
Okay, now you're getting nasty with me. I don't care what you said or what you thought I thought you thought I thought you thought I thought. I am done posting here. You just blew your chance to learn from me. I go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This statement is laughable. If you think your pedestrian attempts at logical discourse is an opportunity for as to learn from you then your vainglory is bordering on delusional psychosis. Your tortuous explanations for your ACT score is hardly intelligible let alone enlightening. I DARE YOU to respond to my post with LOGICAL counter-points to the arguments I make. I don't know which IQ tests you have been taking, but illating from your posts, I can confidently say that these tests were neither written or supervised by a trained pschometrician. There is NO WAY you have an IQ of 170. The burden of proof is on you. If you do not which to go through the laborious process of substantiating your claim, I respect your decision. But don't expect us to swallow your dubious claims without a grain of salt.

Okay, I'll go ahead and post for this.

"subterfuge" "spurious" "vainglory"

This guy is too smart for me. I had better go to dictionary.com to be able to talk to him.

OMG dude. I don't have to explain **** to you. I don't give a flyin f*ck what you think, or whether you believe me or not. You dare me??? You dare me because you know there's nothing I can say that explains 170/22 other than what I've already said. I didn't study, and I took a practice exam over the internet while I was working... that's where the 22 came from. Give me a break; I didn't memorize what benzene does in silver nitrate solution... who gives a f*ck. I don't care!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME CLEARLY NOW??? I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

My "tortuous explanations for my ACT" is the truth, whether you think it's "intelligible" or "enlightening". I have no "burden of proof". What do you want me to do. Invite you over for tea so you can watch me retake everything? HA!

You're just pissed cause someone's smarter than you. You trying to be a surgeon?? Cause I'll be glad to work next to you knowing that my paycheck is going up, my work day is getting smaller, and I can do whatever the **** I want to, while you're wages are getting smaller, your work day longer, and you're pulling your hair out because even though you may have performed the perfect surgery, you are getting sued more and more every day. Poor bastard.

Fact of the matter is, you're an unhappy individual, whether you're too short, too dumb, your d*ck is too small, or all of the above. Or else you wouldn't have spent so much time on this "issue" of yours. To say that these numbers aren't possible just shows me how incredibly f*cking stupid you are. I think the roles are reversed now, and now YOU sneak into your daddy's room at night and play with HIS penis.

Originally posted by lloydchristmas
Okay, I'll go ahead and post for this.

This guy is too smart for me. I had better go to dictionary.com to be able to talk to him.

OMG dude. I don't have to explain **** to you. I don't give a flyin f*ck what you think, or whether you believe me or not. You dare me??? You dare me because you know there's nothing I can say that explains 170/22 other than what I've already said. I didn't study, and I took a practice exam over the internet while I was working... that's where the 22 came from. Give me a break; I didn't memorize what benzene does in silver nitrate solution... who gives a f*ck. I don't care!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME CLEARLY NOW??? I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

My "tortuous explanations for my ACT" is the truth, whether you think it's "intelligible" or "enlightening". I have no "burden of proof". What do you want me to do. Invite you over for tea so you can watch me retake everything? HA!

You're just pissed cause someone's smarter than you. You trying to be a surgeon?? Cause I'll be glad to work next to you knowing that my paycheck is going up, my work day is getting smaller, and I can do whatever the **** I want to, while you're wages are getting smaller, your work day longer, and you're pulling your hair out because even though you may have performed the perfect surgery, you are getting sued more and more every day. Poor bastard.

Fact of the matter is, you're an unhappy individual, whether you're too short, too dumb, your d*ck is too small, or all of the above. Or else you wouldn't have spent so much time on this "issue" of yours. To say that these numbers aren't possible just shows me how incredibly f*cking stupid you are. I think the roles are reversed now, and now YOU sneak into your daddy's room at night and play with HIS penis.

...there we go... now that's better.
Don't sugarcoat it next time, though!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ttac
p.s. but what about me?

I can't believe how obtusely a lot of people on this thread are behaving. Anyway, I stated that lloyd's iq is likely a lot lower and that people with higher iqs, EVEN 150 would likely not perform very well on a first try. I suppose that gbemi will now go off again and tell me how stupid I am for not understanding what a great iq 170 is.

I did not really trust the IQ test on the net, especially the one that will send you a report to your email account after requesting you to pay some fee.

One time, I took one, and it reported a score of 142, and it requested me to pay $19.99, so a detail report can send to my account. I did not comply with its request.

The second time, I took the SAME test, but RANDOMLY put in the answers, I got the score of 136. So, I guest something fishy here. Most of the IQ test on the net seems very straight forward. I think the paper IQ test offered by MENSA might express our true IQ.

Best regards,

The e-mode test seems to have a floor of 72 (possibly 70). I would venture to guess that someone with an IQ much below 72 (moderately ******ed) couldn't complete the test. Just putting in random answers you should get around 20% of the?s correct (8 out of 40 on e-mode) and would put it right around 85-90 (borderline ******ed/really stupid) and this about makes sense. The answering the same number of difficult questions will result in a higher IQ than easy ?s. Just an observation. Peace.

>>Okay, I'll go ahead and post for this.

This guy is too smart for me. I had better go to dictionary.com to be able to talk to him. <<

If you didn't understand these words, all you had to do was ask me lol. I was under the impression that the reason why we learn vocabulary in school is so we can efficaciously express our thoughts without resorting to superfluous verbosity. OOPS!!! There I go again with my gratuitous grandiloquence. Ughhhhhhh!! I did it again.

>>OMG dude. I don't have to explain **** to you. I don't give a flyin f*ck what you think, or whether you believe me or not. You dare me??? You dare me because you know there's nothing I can say that explains 170/22 other than what I've already said. I didn't study, and I took a practice exam over the internet while I was working... that's where the 22 came from. Give me a break; I didn't memorize what benzene does in silver nitrate solution... who gives a f*ck. I don't care!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME CLEARLY NOW??? I DON'T CARE!!!!!!<<

We all have dreams and hopes. When I was kid I wanted to be superman but I realized as an adult that it wasn't possible. I have no regrets about those wishes because it is our dreams that make the quandry we call existence worth while. I now realize that your dream as an "intellectually challenged" child was to have an IQ of 170 like Linus Pauling. There is nothing wrong with that. Keep dreaming and be kind to let us know in the future if this fantasy is ever realized.

>>My "tortuous explanations for my ACT" is the truth, whether you think it's "intelligible" or "enlightening". I have no "burden of proof". What do you want me to do. Invite you over for tea so you can watch me retake everything? HA! <<

No! your EXCELLENCY, my feeble mind is not worthy of your presence.

>>You're just pissed cause someone's smarter than you. You trying to be a surgeon?? Cause I'll be glad to work next to you knowing that my paycheck is going up, my work day is getting smaller, and I can do whatever the **** I want to, while you're wages are getting smaller, your work day longer, and you're pulling your hair out because even though you may have performed the perfect surgery, you are getting sued more and more every day. Poor bastard.<<

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that MANY people are smarter than me. In fact it excites me because there is SO MUCH that I can learn from them. As is apparent from my earlier posts, I have NEVER posted my "numbers." I haven't because I don't need it as a cloak to mask inveterate intellectual inadequacies or to establish credibilty. My arguments speak for themselves. If you find any of my contentions wanting, you are welcome to take me to task for it.

It is painfully obvious that your inability to take apart my arguments is frustrating you. It is also apparent that you failed at your premedical studies and that you are trying to proverbially beat down the medical profession as a way of rationalizing your inability to measure up to your premedical colleagues. If nursing was so much better than medicine, then what are you doing on this forum?? There are more therapeutic ways to deal with failures in life than to castigate me with scatological references as a means to emotional catharsis.

>>Fact of the matter is, you're an unhappy individual, whether you're too short, too dumb, your d*ck is too small, or all of the above. Or else you wouldn't have spent so much time on this "issue" of yours. To say that these numbers aren't possible just shows me how incredibly f*cking stupid you are. I think the roles are reversed now, and now YOU sneak into your daddy's room at night and play with HIS penis.<<

This miserable and inconsequential pleb is eternally grateful for the infinite wisdom of your opprobium. Your immaculate words speak for themselves.

Originally posted by ramsestiger
I can't believe how obtusely a lot of people on this thread are behaving. Anyway, I stated that lloyd's iq is likely a lot lower and that people with higher iqs, EVEN 150 would likely not perform very well on a first try. I suppose that gbemi will now go off again and tell me how stupid I am for not understanding what a great iq 170 is.

Oh great Ramses, conqueror of many nations, ruler of the land of Amon Ra, protector of the Nile, I bow before you and plead for mercy for I have insulted your divine sensibilities. My inadvertent "obtuseness" has led me to this mortal sin.

On a serious note, how or when did I insinuate or explicitly call you stupid. At the beginning of my post to you, I made it a point to expressly say that "I am not saying this to be pejorative" after I said "I honestly believe that you do not understand the IQ scale or the MCAT." How is saying that you don't understand something mean that you are stupid? Did Isaac Newton know about or understand the VSEPR theory of bonding? NO!!! Does it mean Newton was stupid? NO!!! It means that he hadn't learned it or devoted his talents to coming up with a theory like that.

Actually, I complimented you later on in my post for your intelligence and effort in school. And the fact is, after reading your posts on this issue, it is apparent that you neither understand the MCAT nor the intricacies of the IQ scale.

How can you seriously claim that "people with higher iqs, EVEN 150 would likely not perform very well on a first try." Are you saying that the average mathematician or physicist at MIT (IQ of 145-150) cannot do well on the MCAT on their first try after reasonably reviewing for the MCAT?? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? Since only the top 1% of the MCAT-takers (extrapolating from the fact that the average IQ of the test-takers is 120-125) have an IQ of 150+, are you then claiming that 99% of MCAT-takers don't do well the first time? This is obviously not true.

The MCAT is not that hard. In fact the MCAT is easy in terms of raw scores. For very bright people, the difficulty of the MCAT lies in the fact that the MCAT has a very low IQ ceiling and thus a few careless mistakes will bring you down to a 12 on any section. The fact that on many MCAT administrations, a score of 15 can only be achieved in the sciences by making at most one mistake evinces the easiness of the MCAT (in terms of raw scores).

If calling into question the veracity of your arguments make me "obtuse," then I will try to rotate my brain 90 degrees to get the "acute" mind needed to comprehend your unassailable thesis :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of off-the-cuff comments:

If you are the average premed on this message board, you probably haven't had much experience interacting with REALLY SMART people. By "REALLY SMART" I mean true IQs in excess of 165. You've probably known a bunch of 140s, some 145s, and maybe a 150. So you view everyone who has an IQ of 150+ as absolutely brilliant. However, by lumping people with IQs of 150 and 170 together, you are doing a tremendous disservice to people in the latter category.

I feel justified in saying this because I have med school classmates who tell me "wow, you're really smart" when they asked (out of curiosity) what my MCATs were. After replying with "Hey, thanks", I always want to tell them "Well, you know, you don't really know what 'REALLY SMART' means until you've met people like maybe the top 5 smartest people in each class at MIT."

I mean, while I might have been somewhat above average at MIT, I couldn't hold an intellectual candle, so to speak, with some of the people that got full scholarships at MIT (such as some of the geniuses from Turkey or China or the US who represented their respective countries in international math and physics competitions before they came to MIT)

My observation has been that people who have never had this sort of humbling experience tend to overestimate their intelligence. Sure, if you're the smartest person in your high school, maybe you have an IQ of 145 or so. But let me tell you, after you know someone with a true IQ of ~170 for a few months, you realize how much of a difference those 25 points make. Due to the fact that these people with IQ's that high are necessarily so rare, (1 in 100,000) it is very probable that most fairly smart people (IQ's ~140) will not have interacted with them, unless they met them in some unusual circumstances (i.e. maybe meeting the top 1% of people at the top universities, or joining elite high-IQ societies like TNS, Glia, and others).

Note: Although I am not a member of Mensa or any High-IQ society, I would venture a guess that most people you would meet at Mensa have IQ's between 130 and 150. Otherwise they would join one of the more elite societies. So these people, while bright, are obviously not going to be absolutely brilliant like people with IQs of 170.

So most people wouldn't have an appreciation of how bright people with IQ's of 170+ are. I know that in my med school class, out of 250 people, I'm sure nobody has an IQ >160. One classmate got a 40-42 on the MCAT and I'd put his IQ at 155-160 on a good day.

I think the reason that Gbemi24 and I are so offended by LC's claims is that we have actually met people who had IQ's of 170, and we understand how brilliant they are. It cheapens the marvel of an IQ of 170 if every schmo with a 145 IQ touts a figure of 170.

I think it's also good to meet people who have IQ's of 170 because, as Gbemi24 and I said, it is a very humbling experience.

LC: with your IQ of 145 (maybe) you're probably the biggest fish in your little pond in your neck of the woods. Take a swim in the Pacific some day and you'll realize that you're not all that.

ttac

You're all f-cking for stupid for fighting over who's IQ is highest, d!ck is biggest, and chosen career.

A General Intelligence Quotient Score (IQ Score) is a statistically derived number, which indicates relative and comparative abilities. By no means is taking an IQ test the same as taking the MCAT. The IQ test is designed specifically to avoid any bias in race, ethnicity, education or specific knowledge base. The MCAT on the other hand is designed to test a specific knowledge base procured over several years of training. You do not train for an IQ test; you simply take it based upon the analytical and abstract thinking abilities inherent to oneself. So although one may have extensive abilities to decipher problem, they may not have as developed a memory as an individual with a lower IQ score. To attain a true measure of one's intelligence quotient, they should be tested with a true timed IQ test by an accredited institution. There are VERY few true measures of IQ that can be tested on the internet. Emode is NOT a true measure of one's IQ. Try the links below to find an IQ test.

http://www.mensa.org/

http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/hoeflin.html

Herp

Originally posted by NE_Cornhusker1
You're all f-cking for stupid for fighting over who's IQ is highest, d!ck is biggest, and chosen career.

Do you feel better now??

Do you feel better now??

Keep in mind that there isn't much to do in Nebraska.

I am sorry I even posed the thought that there could be some small correlation between IQ and MCAT. I therefore ask that everybody drop this thread, It is officially DEAD. Leave it to a bunch of pre-med's to kill a good thing.:mad: Someone else can do the IQ vs. Penis Size study on their own.

I think it's a little far-fetched to randomly assign peoples IQ's based on how well you know them. For example, I've read the comment, "I knew Mr. X, and I estimate his IQ to be Y" a thousand times on this thread. The fact that you're arguing about IQ's is a bit silly to begin with, but then you guys make the test even more subjective by doling out IQ's. Who made you Stephen Hawking? One of the smartest people I know (as far as IQ goes anyway) is a terse, taciturn individual who might've gone to LD classes as a child if his teachers didn't see his paper test scores. :laugh:

I agree. This thread is dead. Move on.

Gbemi - Your flowery language does not make up for the simple fact that you're misreading what I'm saying.

1. You explain the brilliance of a 170 when I had already said that lloyd is probably not at that level.

2. You make a statement like this after my posts:

"Are you saying that the average mathematician or physicist at MIT (IQ of 145-150) cannot do well on the MCAT on their first try after reasonably reviewing for the MCAT?? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?"

For the last time, I mean without the adequate preparation! For the love of humanity, I'm simply saying that one would not reach his/her true potential without adequately preparing (note: I said I didn't do well in verbal until my 4th or 5th try on PRACTICE tests before even approaching my potential to support this very simple point). Again, if someone (even a 150 genius) were asked to take the MCAT without much prior knowledge of its content, then it's not only possible, it's LIKELY that he/she is not going to achieve his/her true potential on a first try practice test. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

3. Diction is obviously a good indicator of tone. You're trying to be patronizing after others make their points. You are not alone - there are at least 3 people who have adopted an unnecessarily hostile tone. If you want to denigrate others, feel free. I usually don't have honest discussions with people that have an attitude similar to yours or lloyd's. Just to be clear, here's a definition of obtuse for you: Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity.

If people are behaving sensitively in this thread, then Britney Spears masturbates to a picture of me on the wall. Winners don't try to win the race, they just love to run.

This IS the reason why lawyers rule in democracies. What is so wrong with discussions? Why does the thought of confrontational debate threaten so many premeds and doctors? Malpractice insurance has gone awry because lawyers are ruling the day with specious but effective public arguments for maintaining the status quo while doctors get rear-ended. It all begins in forums like this. Premedical and medical training essentially make doctors narrow-minded. Most premeds could not tell you the difference between an inductive and a deductive argument if their lives depended on it. Its truly disheartening.

Despite conscientious efforts by medical schools to accept more intellectually diverse student bodies, most of the incoming classes still lack the political savvy to hold their own in public policy or casual non-natural science debates.

When you surf medically oriented sites, all you hear is talk about this and that formula, this and that medical school, which prep company has the best orgo material, what school is the most prestigious. YES, we ALL want to get into medical school but there is more to life and civilization than syringes and scalpels. What is wrong with the occasional heated debates that get minds fired up for some mental gymnastics? Doctors don't work in a vacuum. They have to interact with politicians, lawyers and academics. The more they learn to argue and get their points across in a sophisticated and effective manner, the better the medical profession will be for it. I recently made a series of court appearances as a spectator for a public policy workshop. I was appalled at the degree to which intelligent doctors are bullied in court rooms by lawyers.

They often look timid when being harangued and are yelled at and made to look like ignoramuses by pompous lawyers trying to make a buck. There were many times that I felt like screaming at these spineless jelly-fishes who call themselves doctors to get a back bone. It made me more determined than ever to get into academic medicine and help engineer a change in premedical requirements that would require aspiring doctors to take more upper-level liberal arts courses that require a lot of writing.
Here we are in our own safe forum with no lawyers to bully us and we are attacking those who have the nerve to argue their points of view in a lively debate on a ubiquitous topic such as IQ. No wonder we get slapped around by trial lawyers and politicians.

Now that I am done expressing my point of view, I am ready to be burned in effigy. I am sure the "thought Gestapo" is ready with their lighters and batons.

Maybe turn that novel into several paragraphs.

ttac and gbemi24,

I think you are severly over-simplifying the concept of intelligence and underestimating the difficulty of assessing it. What exactly are we to conclude, if presented with one person's IQ score of 154, and another's score of 162? What qualitative differences are we to expect between the brains of these individuals? I don't think you know the answer to that question. In fact, I think it's completely unanswerable. Nebulous stuff.

Clearly, IQ tests are measuring something. However, statistical acrobatics, in and of themselves, won't provide much useful information. Ratio IQ, childhood scores... kinda useless...

Gbemi, it seems your interactions in the HIQ circuit are proving quite intoxicating. While I'm sure that you can objectively judge some of the accomplishments of some of the Mensans, Glians, and Triple Niners you've come in contact with, the basis of much of your praise rests on other, vague, personal assessments. Does that help us? No. While you berate lloydchristmas for making his extraordinary claims, you seem quite in awe of Chris Langan, who's made a living running around with his IQ scores, and feels no shame in advertising something that can't possibly be valid because, um, there is no way of measuring it! [IQ of 195]
In fact, gbemi, your post content seems rather internally inconsistent.

Anyway, I don't doubt that that the MCAT score correlates with one's intelligence (with the verbal section probably correlating most strongly).

"then Britney Spears masturbates to a picture of me on the wall"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by farrago
ttac and gbemi24,

I think you are severly over-simplifying the concept of intelligence and underestimating the difficulty of assessing it. What exactly are we to conclude, if presented with one person's IQ score of 154, and another's score of 162? What qualitative differences are we to expect between the brains of these individuals? I don't think you know the answer to that question. In fact, I think it's completely unanswerable. Nebulous stuff.

Clearly, a high IQ does not necessarily mean that one will accomplish things that will change the world. In certain academic fields, however, I think it is a prerequisite for such accomplishments. For example, I am fairly sure that nobody that has won a nobel prize in physics in the last 30 years has had an IQ less than 150. I would be quite surprised if they did. I believe that IQ does measure something, and that is 'intellectual potential'.

Here's a listing of the factors that I think contribute to 1)MCAT 2)Med school performance 3) Life accomplishments

1) MCAT
A) Studying for the test. Clearly, if you take someone with a 170IQ, they will not get a 40 if they have not studied for the MCAT. However, if they have taken the prereqs within a few years, I would be surprised if they didn't get a 30 or so. My IQ is nowhere near 170, yet I got a 28 without studying for the MCAT. That is because the first time I took the prereqs, I understood the concepts well enough to remember it a few years later (or at least think through things enough to semi-derive equations)
B) IQ. I think the average med student (IQ 125) would be hard pressed to get a 35+ no matter how much they studied. I probably don't need to tell you this, but in my experience, premeds (and later, med students) are some of the most driven people on earth. Given that the MCAT is pretty much the most important single test in the life of a premed, I would think that they would do just about anything to get the maximum score possible. Yet the average med student MCAT hovers around 30. I think that this is evidence of a fairly strong correlation between MCAT and IQ. If I had to make a table of IQ vs MCAT, it would go something like this (flame away!)

MCAT 24 = IQ 112
MCAT 27 = IQ 120
MCAT 30 = IQ 125
MCAT 32 = IQ 130
MCAT 34 = IQ 140
MCAT 37 = IQ 150
MCAT 40 = IQ 155
MCAT 44 = IQ 162+

This is based on the following data points (admittedly my numbers below 27 are pure speculation):

a)My 41-43 MCAT/160 IQ HST friend
b)My 40-42 MCAT/155-160 IQ friend
c)Myself
d)My 34 MCAT/140 IQ neighbor
e)Average MCAT/IQ of med students
f) My roommate

2) Med school performance
A) Drive/desire. Someone with an IQ of 125 who studies 6-8 hours a day in addition to going to class is going to beat someone with an IQ of 150 who studies 2 hours a day and skips a bunch of classes. This is especially true in classes such as histo. However, in classes such as biostats, it's a different story. This type of class is great for someone with an IQ of 150, because there is practically no memorization, and everything rests on understanding the material. In order to back up this assertion, I will cite my experience with biostats (There is no way to cite this evidence without appearing to be bragging, so flame away, if you choose). I'm 80% done with biostats, and I've gone to 2 lectures out of ~35 so far. I have a 97% in the class, and I never study until the day before the exam (probably 5 hours or so). My friend who has a 27 MCAT goes to every class, studies her BUTT off, and yet is only barely passing. This class is the classic case where someone with a high-IQ would have a large advantage. Lots of thinking, little memorization. IQ is a huge factor in performance. However, most med school classes require alot of memorization, and that requires time. Which brings me to my next point
B) Memory. The better your memory, the better you'll do in med school ceteris paribus. Fortunately for the high-IQ folks, I think memory correlates positively with IQ. However, even though high-IQ folks might have a slight advantage, nothing beats sitting down in the library for hours and hours until you have memorized 30 pages of gross anatomy.
C) IQ. Given that time is a precious commodity in med school, the faster someone can learn and understand things, the better they will do. A high IQ correlates with a faster rate of learning material.
D) *Confounding factor*: The slacker coefficient. This isn't easily quantifiable, but it's essentially the opposite of Drive. If someone is smart, but sleeps in when he feels like it, goes out alot, or has tons of outside interests, he is essentially giving himself a handicap that he will have to make up for. Unfortunately for them, lots of smart people fall into this trap, mostly b/c they didn't really have to be all that disciplined, or work that hard as a pre-med.

3) Life accomplishments
A) Opportunity. There are probably some 170IQ people in India who just did not have access to resources needed to achieve their full potential. For example, take the Indian math genius Ramanujan:

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Ramanujan.html

B) Drive (See 2A). Sometimes, however, externally applied motivation can be harmful. Take a look at this interesting link:

http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/printout/0,13675,501030217-421085,00.html

C) IQ. There are certain fields where a high IQ is a prerequisite to making advances. I think someone with an IQ of 100, or maybe 110 would find it impossible to get a PhD in Physics. No amount of access to resources or drive will compensate for an inability to synthesize new information and come up with the original ideas necessary to earn a PhD in Physics.

Clearly, IQ tests are measuring something. However, statistical acrobatics, in and of themselves, won't provide much useful information. Ratio IQ, childhood scores... kinda useless...

I disagree. IQ (while not perfect), is the best objective criterion we have for determining how 'smart' somebody is. I'd bet that if you had tested the average childhood IQ of PhD's in math and physics, or nobel prize winners, it would be apparent that their ratio IQ's as children would be much higher than 100. If this is true, then childhood IQ is useful. Once again, childhood IQ only shows _potential_. As you pointed out, it is possible to have a high IQ and not accomplish anything earth-shattering (Chris Langan). But there are confounding factors here. Alot of childhood geniuses either burn out, or are lacking in social interaction to the detriment of their overall development. They may be intellectually lazy, because they could get away with it in school. In Chris Langans case, he was beaten as a child. However, after spending the first part of his life in relative obscurity, he IS making discoveries and advancing his field.

Gbemi, it seems your interactions in the HIQ circuit are proving quite intoxicating. While I'm sure that you can objectively judge some of the accomplishments of some of the Mensans, Glians, and Triple Niners you've come in contact with, the basis of much of your praise rests on other, vague, personal assessments.

I would hardly call Nobel prizes, PhD's, or revolutionary discoveries in mathematics "vague and personal". These are objective measures of accomplishment, and almost without exception, were the results of the labors of individuals with a high-IQ. If there really was no correlation between high IQ and these discoveries, you would find that many nobel prize winners would have IQ's of 100, and half of them less than that. Essentially, an IQ histogram of nobel prize winners would be superimposable on that of the general population (mean=100, SD= 15). Of course the amplitude would be different.
To clarify: An IQ of 150 is about 1 in 1000. There have been 700 Nobel prizes awarded so far.

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/swedish/sympnobel/quiz.html

Ergo, you would expect that barely 1 Nobel prize winner would have an IQ of 150. This is a ridiculous assertion.

Anyway, I don't doubt that that the MCAT score correlates with one's intelligence (with the verbal section probably correlating most strongly).

Agreed, as long as English was your first language.

ttac

WOW:eek: Way to go ttac!!!
It is very refreshing for someone to take their time to put out a well reasoned and thorough argument like this. We need more of these posts and less of the "TPR is better than UPS" posts.

farrago, although I disagree with the gist of your argument, I definitely appreciate you making your point of view known in a constructive manner without the need to resort to ad hominem attacks.

ramsestiger said:
Gbemi - Your flowery language does not make up for the simple fact that you're misreading what I'm saying.

You are not alone on this one. A lot of people on this forum have a problem with my "flowery" language. I don't know exactly how you want me to write. I would appreciate it if you would send me a private communiqu? to help me re-adjust my maladjusted sense of diction.

ramsestiger said:
1. You explain the brilliance of a 170 when I had already said that lloyd is probably not at that level.

Well, I am sorry if it seemed as though I was preaching to the choir, but your dismissal of lloydchristmas' extraordinary claim was cavalier and seemed quite cosmetic. You essentially say his claim is suspect without giving a cogent reason for your position. Subsequently, you argue for the tenuous link between IQ and MCAT scores. This is inconsistent.

The crux of this debate is that IF we accept the thesis that IQ correlates significantly with the MCAT then Lloyd?s numbers are inconsistent. It then follows that IF IQ DOES NOT correlate significantly with the MCAT then Lloyd?s numbers WOULD be consistent. Since you don't seem to know Lloyd personally, the only way you could surmise that his IQ claim is bogus is to use the IQ/MCAT numbers he provides. But by using these numbers, you contradict your initial claim and implicitly assume that IQ is significantly correlated with the MCAT. In seeing this inconsistency, I had every right to be pedantic and lecture you on the vagaries of the IQ scale and its significant correlation to MCAT score ceteris parabus.

ramsestiger said:
For the last time, I mean without the adequate preparation! For the love of humanity, I'm simply saying that one would not reach his/her true potential without adequately preparing (note: I said I didn't do well in verbal until my 4th or 5th try on PRACTICE tests before even approaching my potential to support this very simple point). Again, if someone (even a 150 genius) were asked to take the MCAT without much prior knowledge of its content, then it's not only possible, it's LIKELY that he/she is not going to achieve his/her true potential on a first try practice test. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

You are clearly changing your argument in mid-stream. You never made the distinction that you were assuming there was no review involved. And EVEN IF you did, it still does not obviate the fact that assuming ALL MCAT-takers did not review, high IQ kids will outperform their colleagues. If your new claim is that high IQ premeds who do not review would not do as well as average premeds who do review (assuming there is not an exorbitant IQ difference) then we agree.

ramsestiger said:
3. Diction is obviously a good indicator of tone. You're trying to be patronizing after others make their points. You are not alone - there are at least 3 people who have adopted an unnecessarily hostile tone. If you want to denigrate others, feel free. I usually don't have honest discussions with people that have an attitude similar to yours or lloyd's. Just to be clear, here's a definition of obtuse for you: Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity.

This statement is absurd and VERY irritating. If you read ANY of my posts on this forum you would realize that I NEVER respond harshly unless provoked. And even when I respond in an acerbic tone, I make witty comments in jest at the object of my pique. I NEVER resort to vulgar or scatological references.

After Lloydchristmas made his varied latrine lexicon well known to me in his post, I admittedly responded in a caustic and irascible tone. However, I did not use any vulgar vernacular to get my point across. I rather opted to use witty and incisive phraseology to poke fun at him. If that means I am [denigrating] others then I am VERY proud of it.

You assumed that I was patronizing you because before you read my post, you had already made up your mind that I was a pretentious jerk due to my "flowery" language. You were thus going to view any compliment I gave you as a condescending attempt to disguise my seeming ostentation. If you cannot have a honest discussion with me because of my "attitude" then you are welcome to not post to me. I certainly don't see any opportunity cost in losing your correspondence.

I hope my language was not too "flowery" for you!

Originally posted by ttac
A couple of off-the-cuff comments:

I think it's also good to meet people who have IQ's of 170 because, as Gbemi24 and I said, it is a very humbling experience.

ttac

So basically incredibly intelligent people with IQ's 170+ join clubs with admittance based on IQ to be with other similarly intelligent people...(I guess seeking refuge from the surrounding *****s) What do people do there anyway? Solve IQ type puzzles and revel in each other's company? So a 170 IQ person hanging out with a 120IQ person is similar to 120 IQ hanging out with a 70IQ. That's one tough life.

1. I'm sure you know the distinction between conversational and pretentious language.

2. There's a reason why lawyers are disliked and ridiculed, and it's not because of their superior logic or IQ. A lot of lawyers don't understand the basic codes of decency. Contentious dialogue on a message board does not prepare anyone for hyena-like questioning from lawyers.

If your new claim is that high IQ premeds who do not review would not do as well as average premeds who do review (assuming there is not an exorbitant IQ difference) then we agree.
That has been my claim all along... I don't know what could possibly lead you to think that my claim was something other than this at any point.
:confused: Given the info lloyd has provided, this seems to be an obvious and simple point. Given the personal info I volunteered, it is the only claim that I would reasonably be supporting. Why else would I say that I'm not intimidated by higher MCATs because a lot of them likely studied and invested a lot more time than me? Why else would I say that I'm not trying to defend lloyd, just stating that a poor performance on the MCAT by someone with a higher IQ could be attributed to the preparation or lack thereof???

You were thus going to view any complement I gave you as a condescending attempt to disguise my seeming ostentation.
That is an untrue assumption, although I can see how and why you would infer that. I did not distort any compliments or complements that came my way.

If you cannot have a honest discussion with me because of my "attitude" then you are welcome to not post to me. I certainly don't see any oppurtunity cost in losing your correspondence.
Are you sure that there might not be a .00001 % difference in happiness in your life? Surely, there's a happiness scale somewhere out there that could quantitate this difference. :)

Originally posted by koma
So basically incredibly intelligent people with IQ's 170+ join clubs with admittance based on IQ to be with other similarly intelligent people...(I guess seeking refuge from the surrounding *****s) What do people do there anyway? Solve IQ type puzzles and revel in each other's company? So a 170 IQ person hanging out with a 120IQ person is similar to 120 IQ hanging out with a 70IQ. That's one tough life.

I think one problem with the whole high-IQ system is that there sure is no shortage of people in the 130-150IQ range that are full of themselves. We all know people who think they are the greatest geniuses of all time, and make sure that everyone else thinks so too.

Given the mathematical rarity of a true 170IQ (and the relative abundance of the 130IQ people), the number of Mensans with IQs of 130-150 will greatly outnumber the 170IQ people (perhaps 100:1). Unfortunately, I think it just happens that a small vocal minority of people slightly smarter than average will latch onto the fact that they qualified for Mensa :clap: :clap: (since they may not have much else going on in their lives, LOL) and will feel the need to try to make "normal" people seem inferior.

As a result, in the eyes of the public, even the truly brilliant people (and I am definitely NOT one of them) with IQ's of 170 are lumped together with the obnoxious 130IQ people, and are guilty by association.

It is really unfair to assume that truly brilliant people (IQ 170) are going to be as obnoxious and full of themselves as SOME OF the IQ 130 people are. Chances are, you probably haven't known anyone that brilliant, and yet you MAY assume that people with IQs of 130 and 170 are the same.

If you read all 27 pages of this thread (LOL) so far, I think you'll see that Gbemi24 and I both have acknowledged (and even welcomed) the fact that there are people in this world far more brilliant that either of us (or both of us put together, for that matter :) ) are. Like I said, going to MIT was a truly humbling experience for me. Apparently as was joining an elite high-IQ society for Gbemi24.

But if you read LC's posts, you can see that he started off posting his 170IQ, and then became very defensive about that number when questioned about it. Later he went on to personally attack Gbemi24 and myself. I apologize for goading him at one point. That was immature of me, but I will point out that LC came off as being quite pretentious and arrogant before that.

LC strikes me as someone who hasn't had the humbling experience of meeting people smarter than himself (and no, I am NOT referring to myself here!) and as a result, he gives the impression that he considers himself God's gift to SDN.

(Re: his "You've lost your chance to learn from me" quote)

I think it's ironic, but IMHO I think LC is exactly the type of high-IQ person that gives ALL high-IQ society members a bad name. He's smart enough to be a little dangerous, but unfortunately, he has yet to realize that there are far smarter individuals in this world than himself (...and once again, I am NOT referring to myself here.)

ttac

The person with the highest IQ in america works as a bouncer and is re-writing the Theory of Relativity in his spare time.

Originally posted by ramsestiger

Why else would I say that I'm not trying to defend lloyd, just stating that a poor performance on the MCAT by someone with a higher IQ could be attributed to the preparation or lack thereof???

Thanks for keeping it civil. I think we all agree that poor performance on the MCAT can be explained away by a lack of preparation. However, I think we disagree about the magnitude of this effect.

As I posted earlier, I think that someone with a 150IQ could get a 30 on the MCAT with maybe 1 week of study. Obviously someone with an IQ of 150 that never took any biology or physics classes in his life would do pretty badly on the MCAT. But that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about someone who had at one point taken the prerequisites, and, being fairly intelligent, should have understood it well enough the first time around to be able to use the formulas given on the MCAT and perhaps think through things enough to semi-derive formulas on the MCAT.

If LCs claims are true, then he is so much smarter than someone with an IQ of 150, that it's almost like comparing the major leagues to double-A ball. I honestly think that it's incomprehensible that someone THAT SMART could possibly get less than a 30 on the MCAT, with even 1 week of study.

...Yet LC claims to only have gotten a 22. The only thing that is troubling about everything he has posted has been that he keeps rationalizing his failures to perform as well as expected with reasons such as:

a) He didn't study for the MCAT...it was a practice test, and by that time, he didn't even want to do medicine anyway...
b) He took the ACT and misbubbled, or whatever

It just seems to me that he is clinging to his IQ 170 claims a little TOO tenaciously here... but maybe that's just me. What do I know, anyway. (Note: I'm being serious here, not sarcastic)

ttac
p.s. LC: I know you are lurking on this thread... but just so you know, I don't think any less of you for not responding to my goading. That's pretty mature of you, and in that instance, you were a better man than I.

>>1. I'm sure you know the distinction between conversational and pretentious language.<<

Actually I don't. Would you kindly elaborate?

>>2. There's a reason why lawyers are disliked and ridiculed, and it's not because of their superior logic or IQ. A lot of lawyers don't understand the basic codes of decency. .<<

And who said that lawyers have higher IQs or better logic than doctors? If you read my post CAREFULLY you would have noticed that I said they make "SPECIOUS" but effective arguments.

>>Contentious dialogue on a message board does not prepare anyone for hyena-like questioning from lawyers<<

The truth is actually to the contrary. The modus operandi of the legal profession IS "contentious dialogue." The art of sophistry that serves the legal profession so well is mostly an acquired skill, although there are a few naturals out there. So it will serve all of us well to master it to a certain extent if we do not wish these "jurist-thugs" to slap us around in the future.

>>I did not distort any compliments or complements that came my way. <<

HA! Funny. Thanks for the spelling correction though.

>>Are you sure that there might not be a .00001 % difference in happiness in your life? Surely, there's a happiness scale somewhere out there that could quantitate this difference.<<

I am quite certain there is. It is just that my "pretentious" and "flowery" self hasn't found a way of calling you stupid for not understanding it yet. :)

Since you finally showed some sense of humor there might be a TINY TINY bit of opportunity cost in losing your corespondence.

>>I think you are severly over-simplifying the concept of intelligence and underestimating the difficulty of assessing it. What exactly are we to conclude, if presented with one person's IQ score of 154, and another's score of 162? What qualitative differences are we to expect between the brains of these individuals? I don't think you know the answer to that question. In fact, I think it's completely unanswerable. Nebulous stuff.<<

Just because the quantum mechanics involved in molecular bonding is tremendously oversimplified in organic chemistry does not mean that we cannot make meaningful inferences or predictions about molecular dynamics in organic chemistry. Physicists do not fully understand what light is or why it behaves the way it does in different circumstances, yet we have built GREAT technologies using our limited understanding of light.

Same goes for intelligence. We obviously do not fully understand it but we understand SOME of its properties well enough to create an APPROXIMATE scale to measure it. Whatever IQ tests measure, the thing being measured clearly seems to correlate well with people's ability to learn and solve problems that require higher cognitive processes.

>>Clearly, IQ tests are measuring something. However, statistical acrobatics, in and of themselves, won't provide much useful information. Ratio IQ, childhood scores... kinda useless...<<

Anyone who has been exposed to neuropsychology knows that there are no isomorphic neural correlates for highly complex conscious processes like thinking. Perhaps it might take a few centuries for us to begin to fully understand the intricate interrelations between the brain and its conscious cognates. However, just because we don't understand the details of a system does not mean we cannot extrapolate meaningful information about it using statistics. In fact the whole science of thermodynamics, which has been very successful, is entirely based on deducing meaningful information about the properties of complex many-particle systems through mathematical statistics. Are we to conclude from your reasoning that thermodynamics is a false science because it uses "statistical acrobatics"?

>>Gbemi, it seems your interactions in the HIQ circuit are proving quite intoxicating. While I'm sure that you can objectively judge some of the accomplishments of some of the Mensans, Glians, and Triple Niners you've come in contact with, the basis of much of your praise rests on other, vague, personal assessments. Does that help us? No. While you berate lloydchristmas for making his extraordinary claims, you seem quite in awe of Chris Langan, who's made a living running around with his IQ scores, and feels no shame in advertising something that can't possibly be valid because, um, there is no way of measuring it! [IQ of 195]<<

I am in awe of his intellectual talent but not him as a person. Chris Langan is not an intellectual hero of mine but does that mean I can't appreciate his cerebral prowess? I am one who believes in PRODUCTIVITY. I have MUCH MORE respect for brilliant men like Edward Witten, Paul Cohen, Quentin Smith and other great thinkers who make contributions to human knowledge. In fact my all-time intellectual heroes are Gauss, Pauling and William James whom I think were the best combinations of natural talent and impeccable work ethic. Langan has finally began to make some contributions to human knowledge and I very much appreciate it. Also, if you didn't know, there are many accomplished men and women in TNS and Glia. There are many social and natural scientists, philosophers, lawyers, doctors, engineers, business men etc. Many of these people are at the forefront of research in their respective fields.

Love him or hate him, Chris Langan is a VERY BRILLIANT man. He routinely solves problems that MOST top academics in prestigious institutions can't solve. And he solves these problems with minimal formal training. Have you had a chance to read his Cognitive Theoretic Model of the Universe (CTMU)? If you haven't, you can access it at the Mega Society East website. This should convince you of WHY he is famous.

>>In fact, gbemi, your post content seems rather internally inconsistent.<<

I will be eternally grateful to you if you can point out the "internally inconsistent" parts of my posts so I can learn from them.

I am going to try to make a peace about this here, and maybe we can all use our intellectual super-human powers on another subject (lol).

First and foremost, I am not changing my answer to the original question, because they are still true. Now I must admit that since they were not the proctored, dingus-puckering, sixty dollar tests, they may not be accurate. They were, however, 3 separate tests, from 3 separate companies, and the results had a range of only 6. That's what made me think maybe they were somewhat accurate.

Second, the MCAT I took was a non-studying free AMCAS version to get a baseline for myself before I started studying. Yes, I received a 22 on this. I haven't taken the real MCAT, but I suspect the practice one I took was a lot harder than the real one simply because after you take the free one, you have an opportunity to buy several other practice materials from their website. Of course they would benefit financially from posting a skewed free one. Does this explain the poor performance? Possibly.

Lastly, I remember reading something about getting defensive after being 'questioned' about my reported numbers. Being questioned is one thing, but flat-out saying I'm lying or just assuming I would report false number just because you think they shouldn't correlate is just plain rude.

Let's all let this go, and move on to more constructive things. Most posters here has displayed a destructive behavior. No one asked me why I'm going to be a nurse practitioner instead of a doctor... maybe you would've gained something productive from asking these types of questions. Don't think that because I said something about you learning from me that I'm arrogant. That doesn't mean I'm smarter or less smart than anyone. Everyone knows (that has any life experience) that you can learn things from everyone, and I can't think of anything that creates an intelligent person better or faster than realizing this. The fact that everyone got immediately defensive and ridiculing after I said that just makes you look arrogant; not me. By saying I'm arrogant for saying that means you're saying "this person can't teach me anything I don't know". That's just ******ed. I've learned things from a dung beetles behavior. Does this mean the dung beetle is smarter than me? Of course not.

Okay, get your last punches in, and let's move on. You may have the last word. Enjoy.

What was this thread about again?

Intelligence is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.
-Einstein

I think that we should take a look at what people actually accomplish. IQ is unimportant unless you are on the far ends of the spectrum.

to everyone posting on this topic--take IQ scores w. a grain of salt--that is, don't surrender yourself or your ambitions because of a sub-145 performance.

also-to the two humbled geniuses:
your verbal fluency is undermined by your uneccesary use of 'high' language--your message illustrates intelligence as social construction and not innate gift. Tight language that serves reader rather than self is always better.

Originally posted by Biffer
to everyone posting on this topic--take IQ scores w. a grain of salt--that is, don't surrender yourself or your ambitions because of a sub-145 performance.

your verbal fluency is undermined by your uneccesary use of 'high' language--your message illustrates intelligence as social construction and not innate gift. Tight language that serves reader rather than self is always better.

Here we go again. You know what? I am too tired to run around this wagon again.

Originally posted by Biffer

First, let me say that I don't consider myself a genius. This is assuming that you are not being sarcastic with your use of the term 'geniuses', although you probably are. I _do_ consider those with true 170IQs geniuses, however.

Second, I don't think that I used 'high' language in my posts any more than was necessary. I do admit to using the term 'ceteris paribus', which I feel was appropriate for the situation.

Thanks for your input.

ttac

it is amazing to find people willing to engage in senseless discourse over the internet. modern times, eh?

Originally posted by doc05
it is amazing to find people willing to engage in senseless discourse over the internet. modern times, eh?

...but not quite as amazing as finding someone willing to make senseless comments about said discourse, eh?

Originally posted by jekel
Intelligence is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.
-Einstein

I thought Thomas Edison said that.

Sorry about that. You are right. You know they both start with an E so I got confused. By the way, I own a Ferrari.....uhhh....I mean Ford!:)

Here is a good quote from Einstein though

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

Originally posted by ttac
First, let me say that I don't consider myself a genius. This is assuming that you are not being sarcastic with your use of the term 'geniuses', although you probably are. I _do_ consider those with true 170IQs geniuses, however.

Second, I don't think that I used 'high' language in my posts any more than was necessary. I do admit to using the term 'ceteris paribus', which I feel was appropriate for the situation.

Thanks for your input.

ttac

ttac, why do you feel the need to defend your style of writing? Is it now a crime to have facility with language? It is obvious to me that NONE of the people who are bothered by the so-called "high" or "flowery" language have ever read a scholarly book of note in the arts or humanities. If they had, they would have realized that the "high language" that gets them so much is and has been the lingua franca of scholarly discourse for over a 1000 YEARS!

Then again why am I even getting worked up about the nonsensical fulmination of a person who believes intelligence is a "social construction." In his/her fantastic world, genetic variation doesn't exist. Environment is the sole determinant of phenotype. Given that premeds are a very driven people, you would think that most of them would score so high (in terms of raw scores) on the MCAT to make the whole 1-15 scale meaningless. After all intelligence is supposed to be a "social construction" so we are born with a tabula rasa with no one having any inherent cognitive advantages. The fact that the truth on academic performance points to genetic variation in intelligence, like all other traits known to man, must be a quirk of my imagination. After all what do I know? I am just a "humbled genius" who uses "high" and "flowery" language for narcissistic purposes.

Again, I apologize if I used any "high" or "flowery" language in my foregoing post. I certainly didn't intend to inflame the passions of the "style Gestapo."

Status
Not open for further replies.