*SPOILER* AAMC QPack Biology V.1 #98

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specterMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware that the glycogen stored in the muscle is primarily used for energy purposes and the glycogen stored in the liver is used for blood glucose levels. The question states "Which organ in the digestive system participates in this regulation by breaking down glycogen?" to regulate glucose levels in the blood.

Obviously the liver is storing the glycogen, but how is the pancreas not involved in this process? The role of the pancreas is to constantly monitor and control your blood glucose through the use of insulin and glucagon. The release of glucagon BREAKS DOWN liver glycogen to produce glucose (i.e. glycogenolysis).

Unless my approach is completely off -- this is such a bull**** question from the AAMC.

1577485132320.png

Members don't see this ad.

The pancreas does not breakdown glycogen. The question stem does not ask for which organ regulates blood sugar, it asks for which organ "participates" in glycogenolysis. This is done by the liver. Carefully consider what the question is actually asking.

"by breaking down glycogen" is a key statement.

Reactions: 2 users
The pancreas does not breakdown glycogen. The question stem does not ask for which organ regulates blood sugar, it asks for which organ "participates" in glycogenolysis. This is done by the liver. Carefully consider what the question is actually asking.

"by breaking down glycogen" is a key statement.

You're right. I forgot about that glycogen breakdown is controlled by allosteric regulation of glycogen phosphorylase. I guess the first sentence in the STEM is what led my thinking astray. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
You're right. I forgot about that glycogen breakdown is controlled by allosteric regulation of glycogen phosphorylase. I guess the first sentence in the STEM is what led my thinking astray. Thanks for the help!
Anytime, good luck and let us know if you have additional questions.