IRB approval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stunna8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am very new to research and am starting a retrospective chart review. I was told that I needed to attain IRB approval and I am somewhat unsure of how to do this. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions or even any links that explain how to go about doing this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I am very new to research and am starting a retrospective chart review. I was told that I needed to attain IRB approval and I am somewhat unsure of how to do this. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions or even any links that explain how to go about doing this. Thanks!
Check out your school's Research or IRB or Clinical Research webpage. If you can't find it, ask around for the Office of Research or the IRB Board. You'll eventually find it. Once you're there, ask them how to start on the process. (I would give my school's site, but it's all on out intranet and not accessible off-campus).

Most institutions will have you go through a research ethics course before you can get IRB approval - don't worry, most places have some sort of video online course that you can just complete and print off when you're done.

While watching that you'll discover what type of approval you'll need. On retrospectives, you'll probably get consent waived and what's called an expedited review. You'll still need to go through the process of applying to the board, but it's an easier type of approval to get and you won't need consent, so there's no need to get in contact with the people who belong to those charts, which makes everything 1000x easier.