Ireland To Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShotCalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I am an Australian Citizen whose gonna attend RCSI this October. I was wondering if it is possible (and if so how hard it is), to settle down and practice in Australia after graduation? I am lving in Canada right now and have lived here for 4 years but have spent the rest of my life in Australia hence my citizenship.

So is it difficult for an irish grad to dinally settle down in Australia and make a good living?

Thanks a lot folks

Members don't see this ad.

There are various options, but each state will be a bit different on how to do each. If you want to do all post-grad training in Australia, you'll need to get an internship. In Queensland at least, you'd be last on the priority list but it'd be doable:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/medical/interninfo.asp#Eligibility

Better opportunities though if you come in AFTER internship, either as a House Officer, registrar, or consultant. There are many int'ls in these positions, however policies are different depending on state and I am no expert on them so will defer.

As an Aussie you would be able to practice anywhere (and in private practice), which many docs do to supplement public salary.

Ireland and Australia have reciprocal training agreements which mean that at various levels of training you can switch between the two systems quite happily. Good luck at RCSI!