Irish Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for this, since I know that Irish med schools come up a lot. With that being said, I am a student at a Canadian university and currently nearing the end of my first year of my Master's in Science. Since it is very difficult to get accepted into Canadian med schools (as everyone from Canada will know!), I've decided to apply to medical school in Ireland. Here is my dilemma, my undergrad and graduate marks have been good but my MCAT scores were pretty crap. I do have a lot of volunteer experience and tonnes of extracurricular stuff. In addition, I also have a couple of references from two physicians who went to med school in Ireland and now are pretty respected and fairly well known. Is all this enough to offset my bad MCAT scores? Will it be enough to get it?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey macgirl,

if your username says anything, i'd say you are at mcmaster, which is where i went. i got into ucd without writing the mcat (they don't require it) and without an M.Sc....i have a B.Sc in biology and a B.A. in gerontology....your credentials sound like they'd get you in with no difficulty whatsoever....and if i am guessing who some of your references might be, it can only help. the dean of medicine at ucd told me that one of the more prominent irish doctors working in hamilton was one of his interns way back when......if you want me ot get specific about my grades, or anything else, don't hesitate to send me a private message or e-mail me at [email protected]

i totally know how you feel, i mean so does everyone on this board...we've all been there....but try not to worry too much......i don't see you having a major problem...

Search past threads on this forum.

Some school require mcat, some don't. you can apply to the six year programs without submitting your mcat score (ie. rcsi, ucd). If your mcat score is above 9/9/9/O I think you should be fine. I would avoid trying to go into the six year program though, just because you'll have to sit a year learning general chem and physics etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey macgirl,

yeah only rcsi and ucc require the mcat for their 5 year programs. trinity doesn't require mcat at all, and ucd only requires you to submit scores if you've written but they don't require you to write. i don't know if trinity will even look at scores if you've written....there's no way any of those schools would put you in a 6 year program with an M.Sc.....

Apply anyway, if everything else is as good as that, I think they'll like it. They like people with unique experiences and people who are involved / well-rounded. I think there's someone in my class with a 24 MCAT or something like that, so it's really not all they look at. I don't know how much statistics are weighted into the decision.