Irish medical grad looking for IM prelim

Started by apatmurph
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apatmurph

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I'm currently in med school in Ireland, and was interested in doing a prelim year in the US in IM and eventually (hopefully) doing match for categorical IM.

Is there any advice for IMGs? I am aiming for more community or community/academic hospitals right now. So basically nothing ultra competetive.

Is there anything I should look into or people I should contact? I've spoke to our dean of clinical medicine at length and she is very familiar with the match process since many students from my school do match into US residencies but she doesn't know to much about prelim and directed me here.

I'd appreciate any advice

Cheers,

-Pat
 
You will have a much easier time matching into categorical IM than a prelim followed by categorical. Prelim years are for people who need a PGY1 year before going into a (generally) more competitive speciality. Categorical IM is much easier to get into than prelim and, assuming you don't have any huge glaring holes in your transcript, you should have no problem matching categorical IM at a community, affiliated or even many university programs.