Irish Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about Irish Medical Schools? In particular, going to an Irish school and coming back to the US for residency? I know Columbia has an admissions program with Trinity College Dublin for pre-meds, and I was wondering if people know anything about the success of students who return to the US afterward or if students actually take advantage of the program and go to Trinity. I have learned a great deal from the SDN International Forum but am having a hard time finding much out on the web. If anyone has any info, please PM me or post what you know here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There have been several Dublin grads at the FP residency around here, and the director of the program speaks very highly of them. From everything I've heard, the Ireland program is wonderful, though quite costly.

The other factor to consider is that it's a significantly longer program. If you enter with a BA/BS they shave a year or two (I forget which) off, but it's still five or six years as opposed to four.

In general, many residencies consider MDs before DOs and DOs above foreign grads. I'm sure Dublin has a better reputation than most foreign schools among the residency directors, but it's quite a lot of time and expense added on. I think that an Irish education would be appropriate only for those with a true desire to get an Irish education. It has its disadvantages, but if you love the country (and who couldn't?) it would be a fantastic experience.

does anyone else have any input? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Check out valuemd.com and go under the "forums" section. They pretty much have all of the schools that IMG/FMG's go to and have some real informative stuff on them. The majority of the schools are the caribbean schools, but check out their forums and ask around there, since they have listings for european as well as other schools throughout the world. The moderators and students that post on the site are great and really informative on life at the foreign med schools. Hope that helps :)

Lola,
I believe Leorl is in Ireland right now. Why don't you PM her and ask her about it? She may be able to give you some insight.

Yeah - and if you go to Ireland, I want to come and visit ;) Sorry that I don't know more of answer to your question.

thanks for the help, guys :). lukealfredwhite, med school is actually not more expensive than it is in the states, unless you go to the royal college of surgeons. both trinity and ucd end up being the same or slightly cheaper than going to a private school in the states even though you spend an extra year in school. anyway... i suppose i'll let this thread die now unless anyone else has any more information.

lola- sorry i have no more information or any help... :(
i was just curious - did you apply to any of the irish schools? were you accepted? or just feeling around for options>

i was actually thinking of going overseas to work/whatnot after med school... but that's a whole different ball of wax. :)

i was accepted to trinity college in dublin, and i have to pay a $3,400 non-refundable deposit by april 22nd if i want to hold my place. :eek:

oooh that's a big decision! :eek: but congratuations on your acceptance!!!! :clap:

if i recall correctly, you're holding onto a few waitlist spots right now in the US.....? good luck w/the decision, as i'm sure you'll do fine either way. :)