Irish medical schools Vs Carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auosh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:kiss:Hey i was wondering which schools are the best and how do they prepare you for the USMEL and is it easy to get in to a resedancy if you graduated from foreign school. Please help thank you :(

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice medicine in the US, go to a US medical school. If you want to practice medicine in Ireland, go to an Irish medical school. If you want to be a deadbeat who trolls online threads, go Caribbean.

Reactions: 10 users
You can go to Ireland, but don't go with the intention or expectation that you will match into any US Residency.

Plus, the chances of you getting an Irish Internship are slim as you'll probably maintain your US citizenship.

Carib is a dead option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice medicine in the US, go to a US medical school. If you want to practice medicine in Ireland, go to an Irish medical school. If you want to be a deadbeat who trolls online threads, go Caribbean.

I want to practice medicine in the US but i have ESL and im looking for 6 years program and I couldn't find any school that offers the 6 years program so i was looking in to different school out the states :(

I want to practice medicine in the US but i have ESL and im looking for 6 years program and I couldn't find any school that offers the 6 years program so i was looking in to different school out the states :(
Are you in college in the US, at this time?

You can go to Ireland, but don't go with the intention or expectation that you will match into any US Residency.

Plus, the chances of you getting an Irish Internship are slim as you'll probably maintain your US citizenship.

Carib is a dead option.

Thank you :)

Truly, your best option for practicing in the US is to attend a US med school. I don't have any experience with ESL issues, so I'll defer to others. Best of luck!

Truly, your best option for practicing in the US is to attend a US med school. I don't have any experience with ESL issues, so I'll defer to others. Best of luck!

Do you know any med school that don't require high MCAT score or they offer 6 years program.

Do you know any med school that don't require high MCAT score or they offer 6 years program.

6 years is gonna add a lot more time and expense. Forget about that. Every medical school requires high mcat scores. The lowest you will find is mission based osteopathic schools which go as low as 25 on the old version of the test.

Reactions: 1 users
6 years is gonna add a lot more time and expense. Forget about that. Every medical school requires six years. The lowest you will find is mission based osteopathic schools which go as low as 25 on the old version of the test.

Thank you this was really helpful

6 years is gonna add a lot more time and expense. Forget about that. Every medical school requires high mcat scores. The lowest you will find is mission based osteopathic schools which go as low as 25 on the old version of the test.
That's not realistic. Most DO schools hover around an average MCAT of 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not realistic. Most DO schools hover around an average MCAT of 25.

The average is a 27 and rising. The range is about 25-29 (one school is at a 24 and two are at a 30). My osteopathic school has an average MCAT of 28. Allopathic average is a 31.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The average is a 27 and rising. The range is about 25-29 (one school is at a 24 and one two are at a 30). My osteopathic school has an average MCAT of 28. Allopathic average is a 31.

I'm pretty sure allo average is a 32 now. None the less, i agree, all school's averages are rising and will continue to rise.

OP, with the opening of new medical schools and class expansions, if you want to practice in the US then you should aim to go to a school in the states.

I'm pretty sure allo average is a 32 now. None the less, i agree, all school's averages are rising and will continue to rise.

OP, with the opening of new medical schools and class expansions, if you want to practice in the US then you should aim to go to a school in the states.

After this cycle I bet MD = 32 and DO =28 . its getting very competitive. MD has a lot more variance though. Some MD schools are upper 30s (Harvard etc) and some are lower 20s (Puerto Rico)

Which one is better DO or MD i heard a lot of hospitals recommend MD not DO

I thought so
So do you guys know any websites that prepare you for the MCAT?

I thought so
So do you guys know any websites that prepare you for the MCAT?

New MCAT khan academy has videos. I used wikipremed for the old MCAT which was incomplete but very good. Try getting a Kaplan course for 2015 MCAT

You seem very focused on shortcuts. This story almost never ends well. Go to a US 4 year college, do well on the MCAT and then a US med school. pretty much everybody else statistically is just buying a lottery ticket and hoping to beat poor odds. It's not a race and it's not easy. The guy who becomes a doctor after a long hard journey gets to be a doctor. The guy who tries to find shortcuts and the easiest path probably ends up just practicing medicine vicariously through the characters on Greys Anatomy after a long night of driving his cab or waiting tables.

Reactions: 9 users
You seem very focused on shortcuts. This story almost never ends well. Go to a US 4 year college, do well on the MCAT and then a US med school. pretty much everybody else statistically is just buying a lottery ticket and hoping to beat poor odds. It's not a race and it's not easy. The guy who becomes a doctor after a long hard journey gets to be a doctor. The guy who tries to find shortcuts and the easiest path probably ends up just practicing medicine vicariously through the characters on Greys Anatomy after a long night of driving his cab or waiting tables.

You is right i have to work hard to reach my goals :) thank u guys for the motivations

Check mount sinai, they have a program that review application w/o mcat score

I mean this. (the Flexmed program)
https://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/flexmed/about

flexmed is quite selective, make sure you have enough medical-related activity, volunteering. I wouldn't reply only on Flexmed to gain American MD admission.

If you are a good test taker, you can always spend 6-12 months, to study for MCAT, volunteering.

I mean this. (the Flexmed program)
https://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/flexmed/about

flexmed is quite selective, make sure you have enough medical-related activity, volunteering. I wouldn't reply only on Flexmed to gain American MD admission.

If you are a good test taker, you can always spend 6-12 months, to study for MCAT, volunteering.

I am a good test taker but i have English as second language and i heard that the MCAT is way harder than the USMLE :( so I'm looking from schools that don't require the MCAT if I'll get a low score on it.