Irish undergrad (specifically NUI-Galway)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sookingermany

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Congrats on all the acceptances!

I finished HS last year and am currently doing an interim year abroad in Germany. I have a cozy spot waiting for me at a nice college back in the US. Lately though I've been very interested in Irish/Celtic Studies and am wondering about applying to undergrad programs in Ireland, specificially in Galway. Is it possible to do premed while studying a non-science in Ireland? I know the entire education system is a bit different, and if someone who is familiar with it could shed some light, I'd be very appreciative. When are applications due (I figure for this year's entry I'm rather late...)?

Also, in regards to med school, why do so few people (on SDN) seem to apply to Galway? I know that before it wasn't working with the ABP, but it seems like now it is. Everyone keeps mentioning RCSI, UCD, UCC, and Trinity. Are there any red flags against Galway?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/undergrad/documents/nuigalway_undergraduate_prospectus_medicine.pdf

Deadline for international students was February 1st.

It's a smaller city than Dublin or Cork so perhaps less well known though it's also by far the most beautiful.

Irish studies would generally be part of an arts degree and medicine obviously isn't so I don't think you would be able to though no harm in ringing the college to find out :) Alternatively you might be able to find an evening course on it somewhere in the area. Checking out the local library in that case would be your best bet.

There are no red flags against Galway. I have met US and canadian students studying at NUIG, it just wouldn't be as popular a choice as the Dublin schools. However, there is no such thing as premed here. It's not really possible to do an arts course with a few science subjects because of the way the science subjects are broken down. So if you tried to do biology you'd have in reality to add 5 subjects (something like genetics + animal biology + biology 1 + biology 2 + lab), etc...it doesn't correlate at all to the way we do it in the US.

The only thing that could come close is a TSM (two subject moderatorship) degree, but it wouldn't work with medicine and another subject.

leorl & Dr Noodle -

Thank you for the replies and the links! :) I'll keep looking into various options, though it's a pity one can't study humanities and do premed at the same time. *sigh*