Iron deficiency and hypothyroidism in young female

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gab1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
23 year old female comes in because she's losing too much hair. She turns out to have a mild iron deficiency, no anemia, and high TSH (she has bloodwork from two years ago with normal TSH values). She's been an ovolactovegetarian for four years, and seems to follow a reasonably balanced diet. She's on oral contraceptives, so her menses are not abundant.
Do you think her diet is a satisfactory explanation for the iron deficiency, or do you think she should be studied further? Do you think the hypothyroidism has to do with this? I read that soy contains high levels of thiocyanates, which may cause hypothyroidism, but I'm not sure about that. Well... That's it. Thank you. Sorry for the broken english.

Members don't see this ad.

It sure is hard to figure out where medical advice ends and discussing an interesting case begins.

Agreed...I was about halfway done answering this question when I realized this was probably more of the former than the latter which is kind of a bummer, because it is a good teaching case.

Status
Not open for further replies.