• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

usnavdoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
921
3
Status
Attending Physician
I have my RAD date this spring and recieved this email today. I was wondering if anyone knows the ins and outs about this. I have an additional 3 years IRR time which will cover my residency.


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MEDICAL-IN-TRAINING/PWS, ETC.
Importance: High


050825

Good morning!

I hope all is well. Richard, Robert, etc. I am attaching some important information about the MIT program, formally PRIMUS. The source is BUMED, Reserve Programs Branch. As discussed, in the past four years, I think I have been able to get about eight (8) or so of your fellow docs in this program, spread out across the country; releasing GMO's, FS's, etc. ALL have expressed satisfaction with it, some of the names you may know since I would guess that you all may have followed the HPSP track, etc.

PAY CLOSE attention to the "real deal" on mobilization/recall IN A FULL TIME residency. Always consider this however, if you are in full time training say your residency after you release, if not covered under a MAS CODE, extending to the MIT program, specialty specific, you are aware that THERE IS ALWAYS THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING PULLED AS LONG AS YOU ARE STILL UNDER YOUR EIGHT YEAR MSO. This typically would be in the IRR, but the IRR is a deployable state! Consideration for your residency may not be considered....only what current sub-specialty code(s) you hold. Is it likely...as I always say, probably not, BUT in these days? You get the picture.

SO...as YOUR advocate, I am not going to try to "sell" you this program. The reason, quite simply it is very competitive to get into! We have more docs in residencies that we cannot use due to critical wartime specialties, etc. then we can place. However, the beauty of MIT is this. You get paid as a drilling reservist, a nice car payment or mad money monthly basically, with all the benefits as a drilling reservist without frankly, doing a whole heck of alot!

For now, I know alot of you folks are deployed and serving in harms way. We are very grateful for your faithful service. My advice is to ensure before you release from active duty (RAD) you do a few things. First give me a call if you have any questions at 919-341-5955, not just about reserve programs. I AM YOUR CONTACT in the area and would be happy to try to assist you as you transition off of active duty. SECOND, do something important for yourself and make sure you get to the CARIT BRIEF before you release, alot of good information that you probably would not hear about in the TAP class. CARIT BRIEF is about three hours long and is typically given on the first Wednesday of the month at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune. Petty Officer Colon, the CCC is a POC for this.

Finally, I attend the CARIT BRIEF. Please feel free to contact me or pass this e-mail on to any of your fellow docs and staff corps officers, I used to be an MSC officer myself! I appreciate your service and look forward to assisting you.

V/R
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


I just dont know much about the IRR and what is required. I know there is the possibility of recall but I have never heard of a Medical officer being recalled to perform the duties of a GMO. Which is what I will still be since I have yet to finish residency.

Thanks for any info
 

ishii123

Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
78
0
Status
Attending Physician
Hmmmmmm...sounds like they're trying scare tactics. They're basically saying, "yes, you can go ahead, become a civilian, and do your residency, but there's a small risk of the U.S. military activating you from IRR and interrupting your lovely civilian residency life...MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!". DAMN BASTARDS!!! :mad:

If you are indeed scared of getting plucked out of residency, then you may want to consider the NADDS/Deferment Programs (which actually may be the program they're trying to sell you). If you do the NADDS/Deferment Program, then you sign a contract with the military that your civilian residency cannot be interrupted. However, upon completion of your residency, you owe the military AT LEAST 2 years service.
 

usnavdoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
921
3
Status
Attending Physician
Im kinda of the opinion that I am done with the Navy and will take my chances. At this point if they tried to interfere with my residency I am not above pulling the congressional card. As I stated what is the need for activating a GMO out of IRR.

I just wanted everyines opinion on the issue to weigh everything out
 
About the Ads

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
7,529
22
44
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ishii123 said:
Hmmmmmm...sounds like they're trying scare tactics. They're basically saying, "yes, you can go ahead, become a civilian, and do your residency, but there's a small risk of the U.S. military activating you from IRR and interrupting your lovely civilian residency life...MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!". DAMN BASTARDS!!! :mad:

If you are indeed scared of getting plucked out of residency, then you may want to consider the NADDS/Deferment Programs (which actually may be the program they're trying to sell you). If you do the NADDS/Deferment Program, then you sign a contract with the military that your civilian residency cannot be interrupted. However, upon completion of your residency, you owe the military AT LEAST 2 years service.
Does the NADDS/Deferment Program have any benefits other then the "promise" of not being called up?
 

ishii123

Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
78
0
Status
Attending Physician
Sledge2005 said:
Does the NADDS/Deferment Program have any benefits other then the "promise" of not being called up?
Affirmative, there are no other benefits for the Navy NADDS/Deferment program. You get no extra pay and no time toward military retirement. Conclusion, NADDS/Deferment offers safety from being "plucked out" of residency, but at no cost to the Navy.

I think if you get Navy NADDS/Deferment coming straight out of med school, then you win out. But if you already finished your active duty commitment as a GMO, Flight Surgeon, and/or Undersea Medical Officer, then the Navy wins out.
 

usnavdoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
921
3
Status
Attending Physician
ishii123 said:
Affirmative, there are no other benefits for the Navy NADDS/Deferment program. You get no extra pay and no time toward military retirement. Conclusion, NADDS/Deferment offers safety from being "plucked out" of residency, but at no cost to the Navy.

I think if you get Navy NADDS/Deferment coming straight out of med school, then you win out. But if you already finished your active duty commitment as a GMO, Flight Surgeon, and/or Undersea Medical Officer, then the Navy wins out.
Exactly the navy wins out if they get you for two more years as a specialist with no cost to them...Not so interested
 

trixmd

Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
109
28
Hawaiian Islands
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah - if you're done with your obligation and have no further desire to be in the Naval services, I"d tell him/her to go pound sand. Actually, I"d ignore his email completely, and if he/she continues to use scare tactics then tell them to pound sand.
 
About the Ads