Is 2 months enough time to be prepared?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you think 2 months would be plenty of time to study for the DAT? I'm planning on taking them this summer - but I'm not planning on working but will probably start working on my apps during that time.

Thanks so much! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

It should be enough, given that you have good study habits and retain information really well...

If all you're going to do during these two month is studying for DAT, then it should be enough. I guess it will depend on your study habits, what bio and chem. classes you’ve already taken, and how much of it you still remember. ;) It took me ~4 month, but I had classes and worked while preparing for the test.
Good luck!

Hmm okay thanks guys...has anyone else taken the dats with only 2 months of prep? Let me know what anyone else thinks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm okay thanks guys...has anyone else taken the dats with only 2 months of prep? Let me know what anyone else thinks! :)

I did it in 2 months, and I think a lot of others have done this as well. It is definitely enough time. Good luck!

I was wondering something along the same lines. I'm planning on doing the kaplan online course starting this month and studying until early/mid-june and taking the DAT at that time. The thing is, I'll be finishing my spring classes and taking an english course the first half of summer. Is this enough time/a good plan? Also, give me some opinions on applying without a degree? Thanks!

I think it all depends on how well you do on a diagnostics test. My initial scores were all around 18-19, so I didn't need to improve all that much, so I studied less than 2 months. If you scored like 15s on the diagnostic then your going to need to put in some more time, a lot more time. I took the Kaplan course, but didn't even finish all the recommended sections. Total I spent maybe 120 hours studying for the exam and got 20s.

I think it all depends on how well you do on a diagnostics test. My initial scores were all around 18-19, so I didn't need to improve all that much, so I studied less than 2 months. If you scored like 15s on the diagnostic then your going to need to put in some more time, a lot more time. I took the Kaplan course, but didn't even finish all the recommended sections. Total I spent maybe 120 hours studying for the exam and got 20s.

I agree completey. I spent only about 50 hours studying.

If you really put your back into it, I think 2 months is plenty time. Like, 6-8 hours a day will net you a pretty good score, just focus.