3 years out of school, only 2 months to study - 25 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I've written and re-written this post a few times. I'm just going to shorten the story and say that I shouldn't have had a chance. I graduated in 2017, haven't thought about science since, accepted a promotion that came with a cross-country move (right in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic), have a little 2-year-old son that just wants to play with me because I work from home, and a pregnant wife that just entered her third trimester. The odds were stacked against me performing well on the DAT.

Again, I'm shortening this, so just know that I decided to pursue dentistry again with 10 weeks to go before taking the DAT (I had to get it in with decent time to interview before acceptances and such in December). I have decent stats - nothing crazy with a 3.6 GPA and 3.4 sGPA. However, I started at nothing - I'm not exaggerating when I say I couldn't remember the difference between a prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell. I even relearned what ATP was used for and even what stoichiometry meant.

What did I do? I clung to DAT Bootcamp religiously. I stuck to the study schedule and program that they suggest (although I did do a little modification in the last month). I worked until 4 or 5 every day, spent a couple of hours with the fam (Friday's were like a little extended date night), and then hit the "books" (my laptop) until about 1 am. I slept, rinsed, and repeated.

It was a freaking grind for sure. My practice test scores show it - I was in the 16s and 17s and I was anything but consistent. But I just kept at it - going over the explanations to any and every problem - especially the ones I missed. All along the way - there were tearful moments, times where I felt like I made a huge misstep in pursuing this again. But alas, I kept going. I just trusted that things were going to work out. I'm convinced that whatever study method you use will work only as well as how dedicated you are to it. For me, it was DAT Bootcamp, and you bet I was dedicated.

The last 3 practice tests I saw a consistent uptick. This gave me confidence. I was finally somewhere around 20 and felt like I could at least go into the test and perform at a decent level. 3 years out of school, 10 weeks into studying, and 8 weeks into my new move and work position, I took the test. I'm no genius. I just worked my freaking butt off and had an awesome wife that supported me throwing away my summer for this. Anyways, I scored a 25 AA. I was freaking pumped. I couldn't dream it up better than this.

If you're anything like me, you're probably reading this thinking that I'm the anomaly. Because guess what, that's what I did reading some of these posts. I'd see someone get a 24 after claiming that they studied only like 3-4 hours a day and I'd be like - "yeah, well they're a genius and I'm not". It gave me a little motivation/reassurance, but I wrote it off that they were better than me. I was still shooting for a 20-21.

Maybe one person reads this. And if you're that one person and if you're like me, seriously, YOU CAN DO IT. I don't mean that in a rah-rah or cheesy way. I mean that because I freaking did it. I didn't think I had a chance, and in all reality, I shouldn't have had a chance. I read about people that just studied what they were weak at - and concentrated their study time like that. I didn't have that luxury! I was weak in all areas! So I was at it every single night. And guess what, it paid off. It will for you too.

If anybody would find it helpful, I can share my study schedule/routine/outline or scores. But maybe what I wrote will be enough to help whoever needs it right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! This gave me so much hope and motivation. PLEASE post your study schedule and how you got through the tough moments of wondering if you’ll ever understand something. Congrats again!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! This gave me so much hope and motivation. PLEASE post your study schedule and how you got through the tough moments of wondering if you’ll ever understand something. Congrats again!!!!
Thank you! I was really excited. So first to address the tough moments of not understanding something:

Whenever I came to a specific subject/concept that I didn't understand - I bookmarked it, but kept going. I read everything and then during the last 3 or 4 weeks, I only studied those things. What became frustrating was feeling like I knew a subject perfectly, then testing myself with practice questions, and then getting most of them wrong. I thought I'd never overcome some of that but because of daily study, and an eventual understanding of the whole package, things started to make sense little by little. Honestly, I didn't start having things "click" in a big way until the last two weeks. I felt like I was treading water the whole way through.

It may sound silly, but I just had to remind myself that I had to play with the hand I was dealt. I couldn't magically create more study time for myself - I have a family and work. I couldn't delay my test date - I needed to get it in. I couldn't erase my absence from school - that was in the past and I just had to push myself to learn again. This is what I'm working with and this is what I'm going to roll with.

One more note on that: during those last two weeks when things started to click, I would devour any resource I could related to the subject. So I'd be all over youtube, online resources, Bootcamp's stuff, and this forum for tips and tricks. That's everything from math to chem and bio. There are a variety of resources out there that have their own way of educating. Some resonated better than others and I think exposing myself to any and all really helped at the tail end.

Here's my study schedule (attached) and resources used:
*Everything except for DAT Bootcamp was free (I did donate to Khan Academy because he was a lifeline for me at the end)
**You'll notice the 8 days off in the middle. I was traveling to see family with my wife and son. COVID-19 made meeting people after our move very difficult and we had to break up the loneliness. I had every intention of studying - it just didn't happen. No more rest days after that...

Bio: Cliffs AP Bio, Crash Course, Khan Academy, Bootcamp's Biology Notes (I only ever used the shortened one), Feralis Notes
You'll see with my study schedule that I structured it to be read/review one chapter at a time and then did a week or two of multiple chapter reviews daily. My first go-around was with Cliff's and the quick reviews at the end were with Bootcamp.

Gen Chem: Bootcamp's Mike's Videos
I liked to do the chapter review questions a day after watching the videos. Otherwise, I would be too fresh and overly confident with my understanding if I got review questions correct immediately after watching the videos.

Org Chem: Bootcamp's Mike's Videos, Khan Academy, Leah4Sci
Same thing with the review questions on the following day. I also used two index cards to cover up portions of the reactions in order to study them. The reaction sheet included in Bootcamp is great for that. Let me stress this as well - don't just memorize the reactions. Try to get an understanding of the "why" - then you'll start picking up on patterns for other reactions. This is something I realized during those last two weeks as well.

Quant Reasoning: Bootcamp's QR Academy, Khan Academy (Specifically for trig)
Math is a strong suit of mine so I didn't spend a lot of time here.

Reading, PAT: Bootcamp
I maybe should have made these a daily thing but I just couldn't always fit it in. I stuck exactly to my schedule with this and I ended up fine.

Scores:
Lowest was Bio (21), Highest was QR (30).
25 AA

Attachments

• DAT Study Calendar.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 137
Yep absolutely! (You can also see this above if you want more context)

Here's my study schedule (PDFs attached) and resources used:
*Everything except for DAT Bootcamp was free (I did donate to Khan Academy because he was a lifeline for me at the end)
**You'll notice the 8 days off in the middle. I was traveling to see family with my wife and son. COVID-19 made meeting people after our move very difficult and we had to break up the loneliness. I had every intention of studying - it just didn't happen. No more rest days after that...

Bio: Cliffs AP Bio, Crash Course, Khan Academy, Bootcamp's Biology Notes (I only ever used the shortened one), Feralis Notes
You'll see with my study schedule that I structured it to be read/review one chapter at a time and then did a week or two of multiple chapter reviews daily. My first go-around was with Cliff's and the quick reviews at the end were with Bootcamp.

I liked to do the chapter review questions a day after watching the videos. Otherwise, I would be too fresh and overly confident with my understanding if I got review questions correct immediately after watching the videos.

Same thing with the review questions on the following day. I also used two index cards to cover up portions of the reactions in order to study them. The reaction sheet included in Bootcamp is great for that. Let me stress this as well - don't just memorize the reactions. Try to get an understanding of the "why" - then you'll start picking up on patterns for other reactions. This is something I realized during those last two weeks as well.

I maybe should have made these a daily thing but I just couldn't always fit it in. I stuck exactly to my schedule with this and I ended up fine.

Scores:
25 AA

Things started to finally to make sense holistically during those last two weeks. This was due in part to me constantly testing myself with practice questions, but also I was devouring any resource I could related to the subjects. At this time, I was focused on only the problems and areas that I kept getting wrong in my previous study. So I'd be all over youtube, online resources, Bootcamp's stuff, and this forum for tips and tricks. That's everything from math to chem and bio. There are a variety of resources out there that have their own way of educating. Some resonated better than others and I think exposing myself to any and all really helped at the tail end.

Attachments

• DAT Study Calendar.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 88
Thank you! I was really excited. So first to address the tough moments of not understanding something:

Whenever I came to a specific subject/concept that I didn't understand - I bookmarked it, but kept going. I read everything and then during the last 3 or 4 weeks, I only studied those things. What became frustrating was feeling like I knew a subject perfectly, then testing myself with practice questions, and then getting most of them wrong. I thought I'd never overcome some of that but because of daily study, and an eventual understanding of the whole package, things started to make sense little by little. Honestly, I didn't start having things "click" in a big way until the last two weeks. I felt like I was treading water the whole way through.

It may sound silly, but I just had to remind myself that I had to play with the hand I was dealt. I couldn't magically create more study time for myself - I have a family and work. I couldn't delay my test date - I needed to get it in. I couldn't erase my absence from school - that was in the past and I just had to push myself to learn again. This is what I'm working with and this is what I'm going to roll with.

One more note on that: during those last two weeks when things started to click, I would devour any resource I could related to the subject. So I'd be all over youtube, online resources, Bootcamp's stuff, and this forum for tips and tricks. That's everything from math to chem and bio. There are a variety of resources out there that have their own way of educating. Some resonated better than others and I think exposing myself to any and all really helped at the tail end.

Here's my study schedule (attached) and resources used:

Scores:
25 AA

Wow, I cannot thank you enough for this. You have no idea how much this encouraged me! I feel like I am never going to grasp some of these concepts, but you gave me so much hope. Thank you for the study schedule. How many months would you say you truly studied for? How many hours a day?

Thanks again

Wow, I cannot thank you enough for this. You have no idea how much this encouraged me! I feel like I am never going to grasp some of these concepts, but you gave me so much hope. Thank you for the study schedule. How many months would you say you truly studied for? How many hours a day?

Thanks again
I'm glad it helped! And I'm being completely honest - I didn't do a thing that isn't listed on here.

So how many months? 70 days total (with an 8 day break in the middle, so really 62 days). It was 10 weeks, just over two months.

How many hours a day? I'd put it between 4 and 5 hours a day. On weekends I tried to do more, but I NEVER put in more than 6 hours/day.

It makes it all SO worth it looking back now. It will be for you too!