1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is 6 months enough?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by busupshot83, Mar 27, 2004.

1. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

Would 6 months (Jan. - June) be adequate time to take the DAT and submit the scores?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    6 months should be more than enough to do that. In fact, you can study for DAT (1 month), take it, have the DAT score sent to the schools (1.5 months), prepare your AADSAS application (3 months), have the AADSAS application processed and sent to the schools (2 months), within 6 months.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Definitely. My personal view is that anything beyond a month of studying will yield sharply diminishing returns--IF you've already had the material in class. Most DAT studying will hopefully be simple review, which doesn't take nearly as long as learning it the first time did. Good luck!

4. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

Bill is right...I studied for two months and I thought it was a lot.

5. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

thanks guys... pce

bus

6. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

FWIW, I disagree here (about needing only 1 month to study the DAT). I just don't think it is enough time. Bill mentioned one month would be enough if you already had taken the coursework. I'd would add that you would have had to have been a very good student as well...but regardless, I'd still recommend more than a month...something like 3 months with intensive studying in the last month. Even if your core reading and math skills are up to par, I think it wouldn't hurt a person to continue to memorize OChem and Bio, habitualize solving problems in the natural sciences, and practice PAT problems.

One last thing, I did want to mention that it also depends on what your goals are (in terms of what DAT score you are shooting for).