Is a 29T good enough for ANY med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I wanted to know if anyone knows if a 29T is good enough for any med school, especially in CA. my score is Pwriting, 11BS, 8PS, 10V and i have a 3.5 gpa and good extra curriculars. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

29 is good enough...of course it can be better, especially that 8, but you can apply to a lot of schools and see if you get in...

if ur aiming for top schools...then well u have to retake :)

I wouldn't advise a retake actually. I tend to think that for most people to get into a top school...you need to get some amazing score the first time. That said, a 29 is certainly good enough to get into some school assuming your other qualifications are superb.

Members don't see this ad :)
A higher score is of course always nice. :wink: You should definitely apply this year. I applied this past year with a 29(9-10-10) and got four interviews. I too was worried about my 29 and thought I had no chance. As long as you apply to a wide range of schools, I'm sure you'll get interviews. I'm not exactly a stellar applicant, so I was happy with four interviews. If you have any questions, you can pm or email me. Good luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•I wouldn't advise a retake actually. I tend to think that for most people to get into a top school...you need to get some amazing score the first time.•••••Once again none we begin to clash :)

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS POINT!
My first MCAT - Less than 29.
My second MCAT - Greater than 32.

Final Result: Top 10 school acceptance
with interviews at almost everywhere I applied. If I had "settled for my first MCAT, I would have probably not had nearly as much choice as I did after that second MCAT.

Peace!

You might want to consider retaking your MCAT and dramatically improve your extracurriculars for good shot at being accepted at one of the UC's or the top medical schools in the country. But then again, every year there will be some stellar applicants who would be rejected despite their credentials. So you never know...

Well...I did say most and as is often the case, SDNers just aren't normal. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:

with interviews at almost everywhere I applied. If I had "settled for my first MCAT, I would have probably not had nearly as much choice as I did after that second MCAT.

Peace!•••••Yup. Retake the MCATs if you have a 29. People almost always do better the second time, and it shows the med schools you are willing to improve yourself. And, as Scooby says, you'll be able to get into schools with more famous names.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•I wouldn't advise a retake actually. I tend to think that for most people to get into a top school...you need to get some amazing score the first time.•••••Once again none we begin to clash :)

Peace!•••••word

me too scoobz.

1st MCAT: below 27
2nd MCAT: over 33

Take Kaplan! w00t

It's not good enough for ~any~ medical school. It's certainly good enough to get you into medical school... but if you want to play with the big dogs (i.e. the top 10)you're going to have to retake :)

good luck :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Bikini Princess:

Yup. Retake the MCATs if you have a 29. People almost always do better the second time, •••••That is SOOOO untrue. If you look at the stats, big improvements are RARE, and many people actually do a bit worse the 2nd time around. Where DO you get your info, Bikini Princess?

I don't know about Cali, but my 29Q was good enough to get me into UAB, Tulane and South Ala. It all depends on where you want to go, but YES you can get into medical school with that score (actually I scored exactly what you did on each section - WEIRD). I did not apply to any top-10 schools though, as UAB was my first choice. But, this process is not always about numbers, so don't stress. Just have something that sets you apart from the other 5,000 apps on the table. THAT's the key IMHO. Good luck!

Your MCAT scores are good enough that it won't hurt you in that department with more than half of the med schools. Just apply with that. You'll need at least a 2-point improvement to merit having your application held up by an August retake. And there's no guarantee that you will get such improvement.

Plus, I think you probably picked the right section (PS) to get an 8 in. Some schools consider the science sections, especially bio sci, more important than verbal. Other schools consider verbal the most important. I've never heard of schools that say they think PS is the most important.

With a 3.5 gpa, even if you do retake and do well on the next mcat you probably still will not be able to get into a top 10 school with that gpa unless you get above a 35 on the mcat.

I was accepted at 2 schools and currently attend a top 50 school with a 29Q MCAT, and have noticed others on here getting interviews at UC schools with 29 MCAT's. It can be done. BTW, haven't been on here for a while because I found out that I passed gross anatomy, went home, and went away to the beach for a week with my family. good luck to you.

Hey, I had a 3.47 with a 29Q and had 4 interview offers.
Results?
Two acceptances:MCV and NYMC
Waitlisted at: UVM (top 1/3rd) and UCSD.
sure, UCSD is what I want, but I'm very happy with MCV too! :D

oh, yeah. Well, I took the MCAT twice and got 29Q both times! (9v 10p 10b Q and 8v 11p 10b Q).
However, take that with a grain of salt because I didn't study too well for the first one and couldn't sleep for 2 nights straight for the second one. i was pretty bummed about the 2nd one, sine I DO believe that I would have scored at least in the mid-30s if I was coherent (i studied like mad!).
If you are scared about making it to a top-10 or even a top-20 then I say take it again. IF you don't care which medical school you end up at (i.e., if name is NOT important to you but you like the program for the sake of it) then APPLY NOW! Even I got an interview at UCSD (that was pretty shocking, let me tell you).

Here is the data to use to determine if a retake would help your score: <a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/tables.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/tables.htm</a>