Is a 2nd B.A. a good idea?

Started by DeetleMSU
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DeetleMSU

Deetle Bug Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone else has looked into this. I graduate this May but plan on applying to Med school in a year and thought a 2nd B.A would raise my GPA a bit higher during the down time.

:luck:Since I'm a Physiology major, Chemistry would work well. :luck:
 
Deetle,

Normally I'd say no but if you have a year to kill and you only need a year to get the second degree why not? Although......

Have you taken the MCAT yet? Don't underestimate it. My advice to you would be to allot the entire summer after you graduate to studying for the MCAT. Take it in August (just pray you don't have an Aug. 20 2007 nightmare).

After you assassinate the MCAT get your second degree and nail down your letters of rec, etc. during the following fall and spring semesters. Turn in your glorious application the FIRST day they allow it. :luck:


-G
 
Positives with doing a 2nd bachelors: you're more eligible for financial aid, you get advising access and registration priority, you face less confusion by staffers when you tell them what you're doing.

Negatives: you're expected to show some enthusiasm for major-specific activities that don't seem important when all you want is to get into med school, and you probably have to take more classes than you think, and a 2nd bachelors is neutral (not an asset, not a liability) for med school.

I'm doing a 2nd BS because I needed a LOT of undergrad classes for GPA improvement. Wish I would have looked harder at structured postbacs instead. Bennington, we coulda been happy, so so happy...

Best of luck to you.
 
They will give me more finanical aid?? OMG! I thought since I was at my max financial aid ($46,000 over 6 years, 2 years were at a Community College) for undergrad, they would make me pay out of pocket. As long as they pay my tution and books, I'll pay everything else. (stands up and does a little dance)

I have already started studying 10 - 15 hours a week for the MCAT since Sept., then plan on increasing it to 25 hours for Spring semester, then full 40 hours + during summer.

Thanks all