Is a 3.8 or a 3.9 relatively well from an unknown institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a local state school, and received a 3.82 my first semester. I'm trying to achieve a 3.9 by the end of the school year. Is this GPA relatively well compared to other schools? I'm only at this state school for a year, then I will be transferring to a much more prestigious, well known school.

Members don't see this ad.

What does "relatively well compared to" mean?

Do you mean "good"?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at a local state school, and received a 3.82 my first semester. I'm trying to achieve a 3.9 by the end of the school year. Is this GPA relatively well compared to other schools? I'm only at this state school for a year, then I will be transferring to a much more prestigious, well known school.

Ace the MCAT, and your golden!

Just get the best GPA you can wherever you are/can afford to go.

With a good GPA (>3.8) and a good MCAT (>518/36), you will be fine for any school in regards to academics.

It had been a while since @Turkishking posted one of his infamous threads. Mildly refreshing if you ask me.

Reactions: 4 users
@Turkishking you've been so active on SDN lately, how do you not know the answer to this question already? Of course a 3.9 at an "unknown" is better than a 3.1 at a top school!

No one has ever been penalized for a 3.8/3.9. You'd be fine even if you had a 3.6 this year. Don't let the SDN neuroticism get you down.

I second this.

Reactions: 1 users
That's still not how the word "well" works, but okay.

If you have a 3.9, that's great. If you have a 3.8, that's great. Keep doing your best, maintain a trend of academic excellence and you're foot will be in the door, pending a suitable MCAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
keep doing relatively well once you transfer to your new school, do relatively well on the MCAT, and I'd wager your chances at med school would be most relatively well.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as the GPA fits the MCAT youre fine. The people who struggle are those who put up a 3.8+ then land a <30 on the MCAT

keep doing relatively well once you transfer to your new school, do relatively well on the MCAT, and I'd wager your chances at med school would be most relatively well.
Is that the wellest way to guarantee acceptance to the most well med school??

I don't care if it's from MIT or Kutztown State...that's damned good.

But that's just me.

Why the heck would you do that? Stay there and keep that kick-ass GPA.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Don't reinvent the wheel.
I feel like there would be more opportunities at the other school. At my current school, it's difficult trying to take courses that interest me because they are only offered every few semesters.

Are you transferring to a school like Wash U or Hopkins? If so, you might experience an academic culture shock.

You didn't get a 4.0 during your first semester? Better head over and start looking up Caribbean schools.

In his numerous past threads on this exact topic, OP has been told repeatedly that there will be no appreciable difference between SUNY Buffalo State (his current school) vs SUNY Buffalo (transfer target). He's not going to listen to you, bud.

Don't worry, I apparently don't have a good rep around here either :clap:
Aw I don't like your new avi; change it back!

But as for the actual question in this post, I went to about the most average undergrad school you can think of and got 3.75-3.8 gpa; no interviewer ever once brought up my gpa other than to say "it looked great" and then continue on. I think this is indicative of what most students experience.

Aw I don't like your new avi; change it back!

But as for the actual question in this post, I went to about the most average undergrad school you can think of and got 3.75-3.8 gpa; no interviewer ever once brought up my gpa other than to say "it looked great" and then continue on. I think this is indicative of what most students experience.
You like the avatar where I was smelling a flower? I can change it back.

Typical Turkishking thread.....:diebanana:

@Officer Farva I agree, you should change back.

OP: spend less time worrying about your obviously-excellent GPA and more time prepping for the CARS section of your MCAT. You'll have to study to get a well score.

Many people despise me on this website.

Despised isn't the right word. Most are just disappointed that you have almost 600 posts here and are still making these kinds of threads.

Oh goodness. The amount of humblebrag in this post is giving me indigestion.

Last edited:

If you are doing so well at SUNY Buffalo, why not just stay? A 3.8 or 3.9 along with a stellar MCAT will get you into many MD schools, including many of the top schools provided your extracurriculars are solid.

People from Buffalo tend to adopt the view that there is a massive difference in quality between Buffalo State (OP's school) and SUNY Buffalo (where he hopes to transfer). However, adcoms may not share this view.

There is an AAMC publication about selection factors. The quality of private schools is listed as an important factor, while the quality of state schools is viewed as less important. This suggests that OP may get more mileage out of a transfer to HYPSM than to SUNY Buffalo, if such a transfer could be arranged. However, SUNY Buffalo is more than adequate to get into medical school, and I know of at least one Buffalo alumnus who is currently a MS1 at a T20 program.