Is a 4.00 really that unique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what?no no no, statistics show that the uc's dont have grade inflation...instead they are a good indicator. Schools like swarthmore, colgate, dartmouth, wellesley DEFLATE grades, so its harder there...etc..whats your problem man. get that chip off your shoulder

heres a link. now shut up.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000829094953/http://www.pcmagic.net/abe/gradeadj.htm
If you have to use web archive to find an article, that's a sign that you need more current information.

Members don't see this ad.

I find this link a bit hard to believe- I'm at Duke and we have the third highest grade DE-flation? That can't be right. Grades are definitely inflated here, mine included. Also, the site isn't just a measure of deflation-- it takes into account the difficulty, standardized test scores, and (in my opinion) prestige of the schools. Though it does seem a bit strange that Yale is ranked the same(ish) as Claremont-McKinna.

I dunno. The site seems kind of bogus (and outdated since it's from '97).
i really dont care how accurate it is, the point is, some schools (in this case, uc berkeley law) takes school name into account. i dont agree with the method, but its happening...nonetheless.

i graduated from UCD with no B's (in biotechnology)... but then again i never attended any pre-med stuff. i guess you can consider me a non-traditional applicant.

it's not impossible; and, just talk to any regent scholar and i can almost guarantee that most of them have a 3.5+ gpa.
maybe my circle of friends including myself arent as bright as yourself and your circle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Name & prestige- yes
Correction for GPA inflation/deflation- I'm not so sure

Also, law schools don't generally correlate with med schools, though it is a cool site.

I just finished my freshman year and I have been guarding my 4.00 with utmost carefulness. I have sort of developed a “fear” of losing it. I’m sure that one day a caravan of A-s or Bs will come along and ruin it all. That really has nothing to do with my question though…Does having a 4.00 make you look more unique when you are applying to medical school? Will the med school look at your application and say “wow, a 4.00” or will they treat you like any other person with a high GPA? Is it just like having a 3.9?

I had a 4.00 my freshman year. I accepted I was going to lose it when registering in the spring because I took a class with supposedly the most prestigious professor on campus. I got a B+ and I was happy :) I was never really worried about losing the 4.00 because I knew I would have to sacrifice quite a bit of fun/relaxation and I was not about to have that.

I have maintained a 4.0 up to this point in my academic career but I realize that it is ultimately self-defeating and unrealistic to get fixed on never losing it. I've come to grips with the fact that this semester I may receive an A- in 1 or 2 classes, and while it is frustrating at first to have your mint&pristine 4.0 deflowered by a couple of minuses, in the long run I think that NOT having a 4.0 removes a TON of stress that the 4.0 carries with it... (namely, having that insatiable desire to never lose it) hell, who knows, in the end of the day I may end up with a 4.0, but you gotta realize that if you are fixed on getting it you will die of anxiety attacks before you can even take the mcat.

I've had a 4.0 for 9 semesters, and will probably have another one this semester. My school doesn't do +/- so it's a bit easier to get a 4.0. Either way, I can tell you this: don't sweat a few B's and A-'s. Realistically, if your GPA is around 3.8 with a good MCAT score, you'll probably be just as favorably looked upon as a person with a 4.0.

I kind of completely threw my social life out the window to maintain my 4.0. Experiences with other people are invaluable so go out and makes friends, etc.. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Somebody get me a GI cocktail please, this thread is ulcer inducing

I'm in finals for my spring semester, soph. year, and I'm actually looking forward to the B that I'm probably going to get in U-Physics II.

It will bump me from a 4.00 to a 3.98, but I look at it as relief.

I can't convince myself that a 4.00 and a 3.98 are the same, but I sure as hell can convince myself that a 3.94 and a 3.98 are the same, so I won;t have to deal with all the added pressure of keeping that shiny new car perfect. Once there's one ding in the car...I don't think anybody drops-jaw at one or two more...:)

Every year people graduate college with a 4.0 cGPA. Big deal though. It is your abillity to do the job that you are doing more so then what grade you got on an exam on some random Tuesday or Wed. in your second semester of your sophomore year.

I have a funny story to tell. One day during a lecture our professor (who is a retired neonatologist) stated that we don't have to worry about how a certain disease develops and how it is treated until all of you pre-meds become family doctors or go into internal medicine as that is where you all will end up.

All of the pre-meds in the class (7 out of 15 students) were stunned that the professor would say such a thing. But the professor kept a straight face when he said it and I understand why. Some of these students think they will become an oncologist or some other high level doctor (brain doctor) without even spending a single second in medical school. What these pre-meds need to realize is that there is a difference between interested in wanting to become "...." and becoming a "...."

you can guard your 4.0 all you want but if it means you do other things inefficiently (studying for the MCAT or extracurriculars), it doesn't help much. A 3.7 and a 36 looks better than a 4.0 and a 33.

ummm...i dont think this is true. i mean, im not on an admissions committee or anything, but i certainly dont think a 4.0 and a 33 would close doors to u anywhere (case in point: ive got a lil lower then that and have been fine). theres a ton of other factors that come into play at that point.