Is a LOR from a research associate instead of the PI a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Round786

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PI is a nice guy with an interesting story (was a surgeon in home country, got a PhD in the U.S., and now does research under the Dept. of Sx at my undergrads COM), but he is constantly interacting with medical students, post-docs, other researchers, etc. I doubt his brain has any space to connect with a know-nothing undergrad who he meets a couple times a week.

My research associate on the other hand meets with me every time I am at the lab and there is less of a cultural/generational gap between me and them.

The research associate has a PhD if that has any relevance.

Members don't see this ad.

My PI is a nice guy with an interesting story (was a surgeon in home country, got a PhD in the U.S., and now does research under the Dept. of Sx at my undergrads COM), but he is constantly interacting with medical students, post-docs, other researchers, etc. I doubt his brain has any space to connect with a know-nothing undergrad who he meets a couple times a week.

My research associate on the other hand meets with me every time I am at the lab and there is less of a cultural/generational gap between me and them.

The research associate has a PhD if that has any relevance.
Could the research associate write the letter and have it cosigned by your PI? If your PI has met you "a couple times a week", he probably has formed his own (hopefully favorable) view of you. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
Could the research associate write the letter and have it cosigned by your PI? If your PI has met you "a couple times a week", he probably has formed his own (hopefully favorable) view of you. Just my thoughts.

Are LORs written by just the PI better? When doing strictly lab work, I have limited contact with him. But he also hosts lots of literature reviews, presentations, and other optional lab stuff.

I was thinking of attending those and building a relation through there.

Or should I just keep doing what I am doing and do the co-sign thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Etiquette: ask the PI. Suggest the postdoc. The postdoc may not feel comfortable, and I would be upset if I were the PI if I weren't involved in the request. The postdoc may also still ask for the PI to review it. Be considerate. He probably knows how to write you a strong letter if he interacts with other students.

@Round786 - I would not have the research associate write the letter - it should be signed by the PI. To not have the PI sign it would be a red flag to me and at the institutions I have been on admission committees for.

If you meet with your PI a couple times a week as you suggested, they should absolutely be able to write a letter. If you are really worried they don’t know you you can suggest they talk to the research associate (you can say you’ve worked closely with them). But again, the PI should be the one signing the letter.

You should ask for the letter from the PI, period. Then follow their advice for how to actually draft the letter, according to their preferences.

Likely they will have the post doc draft the letter that can speak to your day to day activities and growth, then they can add a part about how you have demonstrated your grasp of the experience through your personal meetings. Then they either sign alone or co-sign with the post doc. But Ultimately they are your supervisor and likely have a system in place for how to address these sorts of requests, so they should determine how to make the letter for your experience not you.

Reactions: 1 users