Is a low-60s CBSE score too low for most 6-year OMFS programs?

Started by naminnbo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

naminnbo

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it still worth applying to 6-year programs? My dental school GPA is high, but my undergraduate GPA is low. I believe my CBSE score falls within the low passing range for Step 1 and is likely below the typical cutoff for medical school admissions.

That said, I’ve heard some 6-year programs are having difficulty finding applicants with both a passing score and strong interpersonal skills. Do you think I still have a realistic shot? I've received positive feedback during externships, and several residents have encouraged me to continue aiming for a 6-year program.
Currently have 55 programs on my list and I wonder if I should cut down on the programs with high med school ranking.

Thanks so much!
 
If your CBSE is at least 62 (passing) and all other parts of your application are good (externship, class rank, LOR) just apply broadly and you may get in somewhere.

Undergraduate GPA does matter to some extent, depends on the program and medical school attached.