Is a Mental Health Therapist job considered clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkcat

Reaction score
I am wondering if a mental health therapist job that includes care coordination following treatment guidelines, discharge planning, and some counseling (no masters degree needed) in a psychiatric unit would be considered clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if a mental health therapist job that includes care coordination following treatment guidelines, discharge planning, and some counseling (no masters degree needed) in a psychiatric unit would be considered clinical experience?
Yes.. You have face-to-face interactions with patients and are providing direct medical care in a clinical setting... if this is not clinical, I do not know what is. Thankfully we are not at the point where admission to medical school requires board-certification and five years of independent medical practice.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes.. You have face-to-face interactions with patients and are providing direct medical care in a clinical setting... if this is not clinical, I do not know what is. Thankfully we are not at the point where admission to medical school requires board-certification and five years of independent medical practice.
Haha, ok thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the face-to-face interaction with patients represents a decent portion of the job, labeling it as "Clinical" is reasonable.

Reactions: 1 users
especially if you're applying to psych residency, if I saw that on an application I would be impressed that you understood the discharge process and how an inpatient unit ran

edit: forgot this was premed, lol. But still impressive/useful experience

It IS clinical, but be prepared to have a good reason why you're changing careers. See Goro's tips for applicants who need "re-invention." Good luck.

It IS clinical, but be prepared to have a good reason why you're changing careers. See Goro's tips for applicants who need "re-invention." Good luck.
This is actually a gap year job I interviewed for and am waiting to hear back on, I’m not a career changer haha. But thanks! Also, Goro’s reinvention guide is for those who are doing a post-bacc and looking for gpa repair.

• Love
Is this in the US? I didn't know you could do that type of work without a Master's. 100% clinical though. Just be prepared to answer questions about your training, level of supervision, etc. Not saying you are doing anything wrong, I am just unfamiliar with someone with a bachelor's doing work as tricky as mental health discharge planning, so some interviewers might be unfamiliar with this situation as well.

Is this in the US? I didn't know you could do that type of work without a Master's. 100% clinical though. Just be prepared to answer questions about your training, level of supervision, etc. Not saying you are doing anything wrong, I am just unfamiliar with someone with a bachelor's doing work as tricky as mental health discharge planning, so some interviewers might be unfamiliar with this situation as well.
Yea I was a little confused when I applied for the job, but it all seemed legal when they described it to me at the interview lol. The role is definitely supervised.