Medical Is a residency with procedural work still an option after recent diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I hope this is the appropriate forum for this type of question. I am a medical student in my final year. I was diagnosed with a disease called xALD around a year ago after my mother started to show symptoms. For me this means that most likely in the next 10 years, and almost certainly by the time I'm 50 I will start to experience some level of spasticity in my legs. It is likely that from the onset of symptoms I will eventually end up in wheelchair after 12 or so years of progressive degeneration. From what I gather other motor skills and cognition should remain unimpaired.
The question is this. I would like to be able to perform at least some procedural work in the residency of my choosing. I am interested in radiology in general so perhaps I can do some as a diagnostic radiologist as well? Is interventional radiology out of the question? Do you think it would be possible to work in IR until things get bad enough and then switch to diagnostic?
Are the surgical specialties out of the question? What other specialties would enable some procedural work but also be accommodating to a paraplegic later in life?

I apologize for the many questions and if the whole post is inappropriate but I don't know where else to go

Nothing is truly out of the question. A lot of it depends on you. Just consider you well-being, how long you want to practice, how long you'd be able to practice in a given field, and patient safety.

Members don't see this ad.

Another thing you will need to think about is disability insurance. You may have a tough time finding a disability carrier to insure you, meaning that if you went into a surgical specialty where you needed to stand, etc, and then were not able to, you would be left out to dry without insurance.

I guess transferring to DR from IR may work, but that would be pending a job was open, etc and that wouldn't be a "for sure" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.