Is age an issue in the PA profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaChica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have shadowed an MD for 20+ hours and a PA for 15+ hours. During my shadowing I came to realize that I really enjoy the PA profession, and I would actually prefer to be a PA over an MD for a variety of reasons (I'm very aware of the pros and cons of being a PA vs. MD).

However, the doctor kept saying that since I'm young and have a good gpa I should go to medical school after I graduate because PA school is usually a second career choice. Unfortunately, I'm really not that interested in going to med school.

I've been working as an EMT-b for a year, and I have been volunteering at a local hospital for about 2 years. So my question is: If I am able to get ample direct patient care as an EMT and keep my gpa up, will I have a resonable chance of getting into PA school or will the adcom scrutinize my application because I'm applying as a fresh graduate?

I'm not trying to spark a debate or anything, I'm just wondering if it will be an issue or not so I'm not blindsided when I graduate and decide to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

as long as you have quality experience and good grades age should not be an issue, either young or old.
if under 30 you really should consider doing the md/do route however.
after awhile as a pa you will realize you are doing 80-95% of the work of a doc for 30% of the pay and 0% of the respect.

The average age of those entering school is 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you have quality experience and good grades age should not be an issue, either young or old.
if under 30 you really should consider doing the md/do route however.
after awhile as a pa you will realize you are doing 80-95% of the work of a doc for 30% of the pay and 0% of the respect.

emedpa, I like your answer.

On the topic of never too old.....

What is the oldest person you've ever heard getting into PA school?

If a 60yr old is considering completing their pre-reqs in the next few years, working as an EMT, and applying to PA school. What do you think their odds are of gaining admission at 63-64?

there is a guy on the pa forum who finished pa school at 70. I believe his parents are still alive and healthy so he knew he likely has a lot of life ahead of him still.
lots of folks do it in their 50's.
if a 60+ yr old had the motivation, hce, and grades( and good health) I see no reason they couldn't become a pa.
that being said I would apply to 10+ programs just to be sure....

Hey emedpa, is that a status change or have you always listed that? Going the LECOM route? Just curious, I've learned a lot reading your stuff on various boards over the years.

I just started a 4 yr academic doctorate(DHSc) with a global health concentration.
it's not a clinical doctorate(MD/DO) or bridge like lecom. it will let me teach and work internationally much more easily.

I just started a 4 yr academic doctorate(DHSc) with a global health concentration.
it's not a clinical doctorate(MD/DO) or bridge like lecom. it will let me teach and work internationally much more easily.

Cool, I know that's a specialty of yours from past posts on the PA forum. Congrats and good luck!