Is all hope lost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unbroken

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 23, I just recieved my GE and started my first year at a university. I got about another 2 years left of school before I get a Bachelors in Science, hopefully Computer Science but I'm actually leaning towards something else(biology?). I just decided that I want to go to med school insted of doing a computer related field, but my GPA isnt all that great (only 2.3), I seriously doubt that I can get it above 3.0 in 2 years(a straight 3.0 if im lucky). I'm ready to do whatever is required and I dont want to be in medschool by the time I'm 30 even if it takes going to an internation med school. Should i give up hope in becoming a doctor now?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
As you have said, you need to get your GPA up (3.6 +) and you have two years to do it plus get your pre-med classes in. Sit down and calculate what you have to earn from here on out in order to get yourself competitive. If you switch majors, how many classes do you need and can you get your GPA up taking those classes?

Good luck!
njbmd :)

unbroken said:
I'm 23, I just recieved my GE and started my first year at a university. I got about another 2 years left of school before I get a Bachelors in Science, hopefully Computer Science but I'm actually leaning towards something else(biology?). I just decided that I want to go to med school insted of doing a computer related field, but my GPA isnt all that great (only 2.3), I seriously doubt that I can get it above 3.0 in 2 years(a straight 3.0 if im lucky). I'm ready to do whatever is required and I dont want to be in medschool by the time I'm 30 even if it takes going to an internation med school. Should i give up hope in becoming a doctor now?

I don't really understand your second to last sentence, but there is no rule that says you have to do college in 4 years and go straight to med school. If it takes you 5 or 6 to get the numbers to where you need, then I suggest doing that if you truly want to give yourself a chance to get in someplace. Either get the BS in 4 years and spend some additional time taking undergrad courses till the GPA is up, or else hold off on finishing all the requirements for graduation for a few years until you have gotten the numbers up. A flat 3.0 isn't going to do it for med school, I'm afraid. But lots of people who get into med school initially started college slow and peaked in the latter couple of years and/or in postbac programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
only reason I am asking is because I talked to my school counselor about becoming a doctor and she basically laughed at me.

unbroken said:
only reason I am asking is because I talked to my school counselor about becoming a doctor and she basically laughed at me.
Well, if you wanted to apply today, I would strongly discourage you. Hopefully that's all your advisor was trying to say, although many of us have had bad experiences with advisors in the past.

Nothing's impossible; if you show significant improvement in your classes over the next couple of years, demonstrate interest in medicine, and do well on the MCAT, you might have a fair shake by the time you're ready. It's tough to say, but it's also definitely true that you'll never find out unless you go for it. :)