Is all hope lost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deiouss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am sitting here looking over my college transcript in complete disgust and embarrassment. I started college in 2006 with the intentions of becoming an M.D or Ph.D, and I started off on the right foot. I achieved a 4.0 my first semester with fairly difficult classes, and without much effort.

Now here I am 2 and a half years later, and after quite a few stupid decisions which I will refrain from boring you with the details of, I am sitting on a stinking, rotten 2.28 GPA. Almost all of which consists of general and business courses.

So here are my questions: Is there any hope at all of reaching my dream? I have attempted 65 credit hours and passed 50. I estimate that I will have 140 passing hours by the time I obtain my B.S. in Biology. I know that I am intelligent enough to make A's in every class from here out, and maybe even grab a wicked MCAT score along the way.

Secondly, my university has a forgiveness policy which only allows me to replace a grade by retaking a class a maximum of 4 times. I have already used two of those times. I have read that medical schools will sometimes replace the lower grade with the higher grade, or average the two together. Does this recalculation take place when the medical school reviews my transcript, regardless of what my undergraduate university calculates my GPA as?

Thanks,
Matthew

Members don't see this ad.

DO medical schools will replace a bad grade with the most recent retake, if the credit hours are identical. MD med schools will average all grades earned regardless of how the undergrad school handles it. The recalculation occurs after you submit your transcripts to the application service, then they are transmitted to the schools you apply to.

To have a chance here, you'll have to have an amazing MCAT score, and stay a few extra years to work on your science GPA. Above poster is right, med schools look at all the classes you took, no class is "replaced".

But I recommend you to just get a loan and go to the Bahamas...

Members don't see this ad :)
DO medical schools will replace a bad grade with the most recent retake, if the credit hours are identical.
The retaken class can't have fewer credit hours than the original, but must have equal or greater number of credit hours to get this benefit.