Is an MD the way to go for money? prestige?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Short answer is yes to both.

This should also be common sense but I think it's worth reiterating since it gets brought up so often - do NOT become an "entrepreneur" and create a startup.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since the main topic of this thread seems to be money, I thought I would post some of my impressions regarding prestige of medicine based on a recent experience. The other day, I was looking through some of the biographies for trustee members of the undergrad university that I attended. I noticed that nearly all of them had backgrounds in finance/law, and surprisingly, not a single one had a background in medicine. Not many had tech backgrounds either. I’m not necessarily sure what this says about the medical profession’s “prestige,” but I am guessing it means that the ceiling is higher for finance/law, floor is higher for medicine.

Other possibilities include:
-Physicians are too busy/have schedules that don’t permit quarterly travel to board meetings.
-personality of finance/law professionals is more conducive to being elected to the board.
-being a trustee is afforded to mega-donors, who are more likely to work in finance/law (mostly finance)

My 2cents.
Very often you need to make a 7 figure or higher donation to the institution to be on the board. Lawyers, and other businessmen can make a corporate donation, rather than out of their salary. At least that is what it costs at my undergrad. Unless a doc has been a very successful investor, I don't see many wanting to lay out that kind of coin just to be on a college board of directors.

Reactions: 2 users