Is an MPH/DO option a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microbionerd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I was just accepted to another DO program that offers an MPH option. I've already received an acceptance to a DO school that is close to family and I've submitted half of my deposit already to save my seat. ($1000). This new DO school would need me to submit a $2000 deposit in 2 weeks. Hence, this post to help me see the benefit of an MPH.

There were many similarities between the DO schools in terms of board scores, residency placements, community service opportunities, etc. However, this new DO school offers an DO/MPH option that the previous school did not offer.

My dilemma is that I have NO IDEA what specialty I want to pursue but I am genuinely interested in public health to learn about healthcare policies, community health, and how to improve overall access to undeserved populations. Although, I am currently interested in Emergency Medicine so OMM and an MPH may not be the best for that. But primary care has not been eliminated from my potential specialties.

On top of this, I still have 2 more interviews at MD schools in February.

Does anyone have any guidance or thoughts about how to proceed in making a decision on which DO school to choose and if I should choose a DO school that has an MPH option despite not knowing what my future specialty is?

Members don't see this ad.

I scribed for an EM doc that had his MPH and he was the crisis/disaster emergency medical director for a region of the state I live in. Not sure how much work that entails since he did it on the side but that was the first time I saw a doc with a MPH use it in some way shape or form.

I have heard though that sometimes the mph is a waste of time if you don't have a good idea of how to use it since a lot of the things you can do, you don't necessarily need the extra degree. And lots of people just have it but end up practicing normal medicine anyways later on

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The best bet is to break down the pros and cons of the MPH. Go seek some physician / MPH dual degree holders and see what they do with it. If some of those interest you, you probably would be suited to get it. If none sound appealing, then just zoom onto the DO degree.

If you are truly on the fence, start weighing the opportunity cost. Would you rather have extra knowledge you might not use, or start making an attending salary a year sooner?

In the end you still may not be 100% sure about whether you made the right choice. But if you put in the effort and think about what is important to you, you will likely be at peace with the decision.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah mph isn’t worth it unless you insist On working with the population level. A normal clinician will not see the benefit

Reactions: 1 user
Nah mph isn’t worth it unless you insist On working with the population level. A normal clinician will not see the benefit

I'll also say that if you're interested in this, there are plenty of residencies (preventive care) and fellowships that offer MPH during training, which are probably at better institutions than most DO MPH programs.

Fortunately, I was just accepted to another DO program that offers an MPH option. I've already received an acceptance to a DO school that is close to family and I've submitted half of my deposit already to save my seat. ($1000). This new DO school would need me to submit a $2000 deposit in 2 weeks. Hence, this post to help me see the benefit of an MPH.

There were many similarities between the DO schools in terms of board scores, residency placements, community service opportunities, etc. However, this new DO school offers an DO/MPH option that the previous school did not offer.

My dilemma is that I have NO IDEA what specialty I want to pursue but I am genuinely interested in public health to learn about healthcare policies, community health, and how to improve overall access to undeserved populations. Although, I am currently interested in Emergency Medicine so OMM and an MPH may not be the best for that. But primary care has not been eliminated from my potential specialties.

Does anyone have any guidance or thoughts about how to proceed in making a decision on which DO school to choose and if I should choose a DO school that has an MPH option despite not knowing what my future specialty is?
So they will be charging you 50k-ish tuition for 1-year MPH program?

Unless you have a specific interest in population-level work, it's probably not worth it at this point. Also, check if the MPH program is CEPH-accredited. If it isn't, don't bother.

Honestly not really.

Public Health is a component of medical degrees in the US - both MD and DO - and physicians can already fill most public health positions without further training.

if you did it, it would be for a few extra letters after your name or for personal enrichment.